Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat Rod Orientation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Thermostat Rod Orientation Reply with quote

1600 S/P.

I know this is a dumb question to you veterans, but hopefully one of you will clear this up once and for all...

Which direction should the top end of the rod be facing for proper installation? Should the end of the rod that goes through the flapper loop be to the front or to the rear of the motor? Perhaps it's better to ask if the end of the rod should be oriented in the direction of the flywheel or in the direction of the fan pulley?

Also, is it better to first insert the top of the rod through the loop and then drop the rod while attached to the fan assembly through the cylinder passage? Or is it better to bolt the thermostat housing and thermostat together then hold the flaps closed while you insert the top of the rod through the loop?

Thermostat & housing bolted in:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In these photos the top of rod is oriented to the flywheel. (front is front and rear is rear) (In other words it is pointing to the rear of motor/front of car)

Ok, I think the rod has to go on the fan shroud first then be fed through the cylinder heads. So if that's the case, which direction does the rod get inserted into the flapper loop? to the generator pulley direction? Or to the flywheel direction?

In this next photo the rod is pointing to the flywheel side of engine:

In this next photo it is pointing to the generator pulley side of engine:

owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It becomes pretty obvious when you go do drop the fan shroud on. I'm pretty sure it's pointing to the flywheel, so that it can't vibrate out.

checked, I don't have any photos of it.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, pointing towards the flywheel. in your second pic. the rod is between the cylinder and head. This wrong. it should pass through the larger/closest to the cylinder, hole in the head.

Put the rod on the shroud then drop the shroud on, then spin on the t stat, then adjust per the Bentley.

Click to view image

Last edited by VIN on Sat May 25, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Rod Orientation Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:

Looks like the #1 intake pushrod tube seam is not at the top. Not critical but it could rust quicker.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the responses and input.

Yes, VIN is correct. I had the rod in the wrong location. It goes between the cylinder head, NOT the smaller space between the jugs and head. Also, when oriented to the flywheel it doesn't look like the rod is centered in the fan shroud. But that's ok, because the cylinders don't sit in the middle of the top tin opening. They are offset. The pictures hopefully explain this.

This (I believe) is the correct way to install the rod in the fan shroud flappers

This looks right (because the rod is centered in he fan shroud opening) but is actually wrong.

You can see why because the cylinder head hole is not centered in the fan shroud and cylinder tin opening.
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. The first pic. Is right. Once the shroud and everything is on, the rod will move up and down, nicely without contacting the head or shroud

Click to view image
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI - fitted a pair of new VW Brazilian heads and the casting 'flash' between the two cylinders on each side had to be drilled out because there was nowhere for the thermostat wire to go.
And then the wire (if it is only bent in the right places ) nicely hangs down from the flaps without touching and moves easily in the second larger slot from the outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the responses.

Let's update this to get additional information and input. Ok I installed the thermostat. Here is what it looks like mounted with it pulled down and in the bracket cold.

So I decided to measure its location in relation to the push rod tubes in both the presumed cold and hot positions.

So in this first photo this is the thermostat when it is in the "open" or "hot" position. What I did was screw the thermostat onto the rod then measured where the thermostat was in relation to the push rod tube with no pressure on the rod or t-stat. I'm assuming this would be the location of the top of an expanded thermostat with the flaps fully open. The bottom of the t-stat is roughly 1 and 3/4 inches from the push rod tube.

So next I decided to pull down on the t-stat to put it in a position it would be in with the flaps closed when it would be in the "cold" position. The photo shows it at about 2 and 1/4 inches.

So I took it out for a quick cruise in humid Cleveland for about 15 minutes. I probably didn't get it warm enough, but after 15 minutes I shut it down and took IR temps at both heads and they came back at 230 & 235 degrees.

So I probably should run it a bit longer and get a better reading, but my real question is if 1/2 inch "play between "cold" and "hot" is an appropriate distance to travel for an expanding thermostat. If not, I may have some "other" issues with my flaps or rod. Again this is a non-doghouose fan shroud and flaps. Appreciate any input.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez way to remember is the bend on the bottom goes to the case, not away from it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixVolt wrote:
So I took it out for a quick cruise in humid Cleveland for about 15 minutes. I probably didn't get it warm enough, but after 15 minutes I shut it down and took IR temps at both heads and they came back at 230 & 235 degrees.

So I probably should run it a bit longer and get a better reading, but my real question is if 1/2 inch "play between "cold" and "hot" is an appropriate distance to travel for an expanding thermostat. If not, I may have some "other" issues with my flaps or rod. Again this is a non-doghouose fan shroud and flaps. Appreciate any input.

I went through this last year and found that 1/2" is the standard amount of space to allow b/w the top of the thermostat and the bracket. I also found that it takes a bit more time to fully expand than you'd think b/c it responds more to the temperature of the air blowing down on it than the ambient temps of the heads and etc.

I also had to be very careful that the bracket didn't move when I tightened it down b/c if it did move, it'd change the placement of the thermostat and the rod would "catch" on the head. I don't know if that would have lead to it not opening fully but I didn't want to find out the hard way either.

You can set it up so that when you have the thermostat on the rod and move it up and down it moves smoothly but when you move it just a bit to the left or the right it starts rubbing. I experimented a bunch of times by snugging everything down and then unbolting the thermostat and checking for free up and down movement. Then I tested it out with a hair dryer and all was well.

Hope some of this helps.
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bolt that bracket on, then you can move it through the hot cold cycle and see exactly where it will need to be by moving the t stat up and down.

I've got a doghouse setup, and I painted marks on the shroud for full open and close positions. I've found hat there isn't enough travel in the t stat to have fully open and fully closed. I either adjust it to get fully closed, then doesn't completely open, or vice versa.

Click to view image
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIN wrote:
I've got a doghouse setup, and I painted marks on the shroud for full open and close positions. I've found hat there isn't enough travel in the t stat to have fully open and fully closed. I either adjust it to get fully closed, then doesn't completely open, or vice versa.

I just went through this on my engine build. I actually took it all apart, and bent the arm on the flaps closer to the pivot point, so it gave me (almost) full travel between full open and full closed. Not sure if that was a good idea, but it's done, and it seems like it works. We'll find out soon enough.
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bent mine too, thought I had it, but apparently not.
Though i am wondering; Bentley states to adjust for full open.
Wondering if you don't want the flaps fully closed so the air flow reaches the t stat???

Click to view image
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah. There's enough blow-by to get to the thermostat even with the flaps closed. You adjust it "open" to make sure that you get maximum cooling when it's hottest.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all the responses and input. It would seem we all need to determine the "flap range" for our cooling systems. Are our flaps fully closed at start up? How far do they really open when fully warm? Are we overheating our engines on long runs by partial flap openings? What is the best way to address these concerns? Are there differences between dog house and traditional set ups? What about early 36HP set ups? While 36HP's don't have flaps, they have a rod set up like the later uprights. Is there a real difference in range?

I'd love to see a "see through" fan shroud to see how things really work, but I guess that's a pipe dream.

I hope some of you can offer more info on this and we can continue to explore this issue.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked for full open on the early '63 40 horse I had but it was easy because it used a throttle ring instead of flaps. Lousy heater though. Crying or Very sad
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this thread back up because I have a couple of issues concerning my flap setup, particularly the rod. I bought the parts for a working thermostat system several weeks ago and just got around to trying to installing everything tonight.

First issue (sorry for the long explanation but feel it's necessary to explain in detail what's going on):
I got the flaps installed in the fan shroud just fine, and then I installed the crossbar linkage. Everything works and moves freely, but in the "closed" position the driver's side flaps close all the way and "lock" before the passenger's side flaps get a chance to completely close, thereby forcing the passenger side flaps to always remain partially open. It's almost like there's not enough distance between the two sets of flaps to allow both of them to close completely when they are installed in the shroud (in other words if they were farther apart the pivot points of both sets of flaps would be given more room to be pulled closed.)
Before I installed the flaps in the fan shroud, I connected them together via the crossbar to test them, and both sides shut just fine--which can only mean it's a separation distance issue when they are installed in the shroud. Does this make sense? Is the passenger side flap SUPPOSED to stay partially open? There's a pretty good gap there.

Second issue:
I installed the thermostat rod into the holder in the passenger side flaps and then dropped the whole fan shroud into place (dropping the thermostat rod down the opening in the cylinder head) to test positioning of everything. But the thermostat rod does not seem to be long enough- it BARELY exits the cylinder head opening at the bottom, and is most definitely not low enough to attach to the thermostat and mounting bracket. It probably needs another half inch to inch to be correct. Were there different thermostat rod lengths for different engines? Is it possible I got an earlier rod that won't fit?

Third issue:
I had a very difficult time getting the upper end of the thermostat rod into the holder on the flaps (the very end of the rod is in a thicker "+" shape and I REALLY had to work it into the holder to get it in there.) Once in, it was so tight that there was no free play for the rod at all, so when I opened the flaps manually it actually pulled the rod diagonally instead of allowing the rod to move straight up and down. Is this supposed to be this tight? I'm afraid it would cause so much resistance against the thermostat that it would damage the thermostat by forcing it to remain in the lower "cold" position and cause the flaps to remain closed at all times.

Can anyone please help me with these issues, or let me know if I simply have the wrong rod? Any suggestions are welcome--thanks!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Rod Orientation Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
SixVolt wrote:

Looks like the #1 intake pushrod tube seam is not at the top. Not critical but it could rust quicker.

Don't forget the RTV Rolling Eyes
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I'm bringing this thread back up because I have a couple of issues concerning my flap setup, particularly the rod. I bought the parts for a working thermostat system several weeks ago and just got around to trying to installing everything tonight.

First issue (sorry for the long explanation but feel it's necessary to explain in detail what's going on):
I got the flaps installed in the fan shroud just fine, and then I installed the crossbar linkage. Everything works and moves freely, but in the "closed" position the driver's side flaps close all the way and "lock" before the passenger's side flaps get a chance to completely close, thereby forcing the passenger side flaps to always remain partially open. It's almost like there's not enough distance between the two sets of flaps to allow both of them to close completely when they are installed in the shroud (in other words if they were farther apart the pivot points of both sets of flaps would be given more room to be pulled closed.)
Before I installed the flaps in the fan shroud, I connected them together via the crossbar to test them, and both sides shut just fine--which can only mean it's a separation distance issue when they are installed in the shroud. Does this make sense? Is the passenger side flap SUPPOSED to stay partially open? There's a pretty good gap there.

Second issue:
I installed the thermostat rod into the holder in the passenger side flaps and then dropped the whole fan shroud into place (dropping the thermostat rod down the opening in the cylinder head) to test positioning of everything. But the thermostat rod does not seem to be long enough- it BARELY exits the cylinder head opening at the bottom, and is most definitely not low enough to attach to the thermostat and mounting bracket. It probably needs another half inch to inch to be correct. Were there different thermostat rod lengths for different engines? Is it possible I got an earlier rod that won't fit?

Third issue:
I had a very difficult time getting the upper end of the thermostat rod into the holder on the flaps (the very end of the rod is in a thicker "+" shape and I REALLY had to work it into the holder to get it in there.) Once in, it was so tight that there was no free play for the rod at all, so when I opened the flaps manually it actually pulled the rod diagonally instead of allowing the rod to move straight up and down. Is this supposed to be this tight? I'm afraid it would cause so much resistance against the thermostat that it would damage the thermostat by forcing it to remain in the lower "cold" position and cause the flaps to remain closed at all times.

Can anyone please help me with these issues, or let me know if I simply have the wrong rod? Any suggestions are welcome--thanks!

There is some addditional information in this thread regarding orientation of the flaps that may provide some insight. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been restoring several thermostat sets and I've run into all types of issues. I believe I have some helpful info for your second issue.

1. You should post a picture of your 4mm threaded bellows rod. It may be bent or cut off somewhere. I have found rods that have been modified at the flap end for whatever reason. They've been peened down to where they cannot completely be inserted through the flap slot or could not fit at all.

2. You didn't mention, or at least I didn't read whether you have a non-doghouse or doghouse setup. The linkages are different.

3. If you find that you need a replacement part, feel free to pm me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: