Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulled over again by the man
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Pulled over again by the man Reply with quote

"Looks like your rear tires are going to fall off.....you're sure ALL those lug nuts are tight?" Yes sir and try to explain a swing axel suspension. He comes back after making sure im no criminal.asks again about lug nuts....more explaining! He doesnt understand a single word.i busted a clip poping off the cap to show him they are ALL tight.then out comes the flashlight.he looks under it gets up and said my axel is bent.ARGGGG.explain how rear suspension works a third time.told me "drive safe".
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Culito

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that all the time with my lowered swingaxle bug...
At least he wasn't just harassing you.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he didn't question the stinger?
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
he didn't question the stinger?

that is probaly the reason he notice you to begin with and the reason you keep getting pulled over

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on my way to The Classic 5 or 6 years ago. It was about 10:00 or 10:30 at night and I pulled over in Thousand Oaks to get a soda at a mini mart in a gas station. Just chillin', reading a book, sipping my Diet Dr. Pepper and eating an apple. Two LASO and one CHP come screaming in behind me chasing some dirtbag in a lowered minitruck. Of course this is all happening RIGHT behind me in my ratty '62 DC. Johnny Law roughs up the perp a bit, they load him in a car and two of the cars disappear.
I can see one of the SO Deputies lighting up my YOM plate, go back to his car, yak on the radio a sec. and then walk up to my DS window and politely tap on it with his 10 cell Mag-Lite. I slide back the window and catch the beam of his flashlight in my eyes. He asks me very politely to step out of my vehicle. I comply.

Once I am outside he asks me how many drinks I "have had this evening". Since I have had nothing but a 12 oz. Diet Dr. Pepper I naturally answer "None", and add "What is this about?". He replies "I ran your plates and they don't match your vehicle. Do you mind if I have a look inside?"

I answer, naturally,"Well, yes, I do mind." He responds "What are you hiding?"

I answer "May I show you my license, registration and insurance?" About this time I am starting to get nervous. I reach in to get my paperwork. As I am doing that he is really leaning in and shining his light over the entire inside of my Bus. Of course there is nothing to see. I'm going to a Car Show, not a dope buy, for crying out loud!

About now I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm going to be the bust of the week. He goes and runs my DL and checks my insurance card. Everything is totally legit. He comes back and says "This VIN is either fake or wrong. It is supposed to be 17 numbers." I explain that whole deal to him and offer to let him inspect it. Of course, he goes to the DS front windshield and looks in the defroster vent. Well, it isn't there, of course. I tell him it is stamped in the engine compartment. He smirks and says, "No it isn't!"

This is when the second car rolls into the parking lot. It is the same CHP car that was there about 20 minutes ago. The Deputy goes over to show him my paperwork and they have a tete-a-tete for a few minutes. The CHP guy walks over and he is very cool. He asks me why I'm in the parking lot and why I didn't leave earlier. I explain everything again and tell him "I couldn't leave! You guys had me blocked in!"

Then he asks me if I knew the guy they arrested in the minitruck. This is where I'm starting to lose it. First I laugh and then tell him "No. I was just having a soda!" So the CHP runs my plate again and the two LEOs have another conference. This is going on about 30 minutes by now. The Deputy's Sargeant shows up and all three of them have a conference with much talking on the radio, looking ALL over the inside of my Bus and more talking. The Deputy asks me if have any weapons on me or in my vehicle. This where I had enough. As soon as the words "probable cause" cross my lips the entire tenor of our interaction changes. The Sergeant comes over to smoooth things out. He says he reran my VIN and license number and, what a miracle, everything is just hunky dory! He hands me back all my paperwork and wishes me a safe drive. I think someone was a rookie and it wasn't the Sergeant OR the CHP.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
I was on my way to The Classic 5 or 6 years ago. It was about 10:00 or 10:30 at night and I pulled over in Thousand Oaks to get a soda at a mini mart in a gas station. Just chillin', reading a book, sipping my Diet Dr. Pepper and eating an apple. Two LASO and one CHP come screaming in behind me chasing some dirtbag in a lowered minitruck. Of course this is all happening RIGHT behind me in my ratty '62 DC. Johnny Law roughs up the perp a bit, they load him in a car and two of the cars disappear.
I can see one of the SO Deputies lighting up my YOM plate, go back to his car, yak on the radio a sec. and then walk up to my DS window and politely tap on it with his 10 cell Mag-Lite. I slide back the window and catch the beam of his flashlight in my eyes. He asks me very politely to step out of my vehicle. I comply.

Once I am outside he asks me how many drinks I "have had this evening". Since I have had nothing but a 12 oz. Diet Dr. Pepper I naturally answer "None", and add "What is this about?". He replies "I ran your plates and they don't match your vehicle. Do you mind if I have a look inside?"

I answer "May I show you my license, registration and insurance?" About this time I am starting to get nervous. I reach in to get my paperwork. As I am doing that he is really leaning in and shining his light over the entire inside of my Bus. Of course there is nothing to see. I'm going to a Car Show, not a dope buy, for crying out loud!

About now I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm going to be the bust of the week. He goes and runs my DL and checks my insurance card. Everything is totally legit. He comes back and says "This VIN is either fake or wrong. It is supposed to be 17 numbers." I explain that whole deal to him and offer to let him inspect it. Of course, he goes to the DS front windshield and looks in the defroster vent. Well, it isn't there, of course. I tell him it is stamped in the engine compartment. He smirks and says, "No it isn't!"

This is when the second car rolls into the parking lot. It is the same CHP car that was there about 20 minutes ago. The Deputy goes over to show him my paperwork and they have a tete-a-tete for a few minutes. The CHP guy walks over and he is very cool. He asks me why I'm in the parking lot and why I didn't leave earlier. I explain everything again and tell him "I couldn't leave! You guys had me blocked in!"

Then he asks me if I knew the guy they arrested in the minitruck. This is where I'm starting to lose it. First I laugh and then tell him "No. I was just having a soda!" So the CHP runs my plate again and the two LEOs have another conference. This is going on about 30 minutes by now. The Deputy's Sargeant shows up and all three of them have a conference with much talking on the radio, looking ALL over the inside of my Bus and more talking. The Deputy asks me if have any weapons on me or in my vehicle. This where I had enough. As soon as the words "probable cause" cross my lips the entire tenor of our interaction changes. The Sergeant comes over to smoooth things out. He says he reran my VIN and license number and, what a miracle, everything is just hunky dory! He hands me back all my paperwork and wishes me a safe drive. I think someone was a rookie and it wasn't the Sergeant OR the CHP.

Damn, it sucks to get rousted by the cops. The only time I had it happen to me as an adult was when I was going to work in tony Del Mar in my patina '66 Westy. The cop saw me drive by, busted a U turn and pulled me over and ran everything, must of thought he caught Al Capone. He asked me if I was on a "10somethingornother" and when I looked at him all puzzled and what not and asked him what the hell that was all he said was, "You'd know if you were on one." WTF?? He then asked me what I was doing in Del Mar, and I said going to work, I'm a school teacher and you are making me late, at which point he finally backed off and wrote me a fix it ticket for a deal left tail light. Made me feel like I was 18 again in my '67 GTO Rolling Eyes

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinger and a cow bell
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it down a spline if it were mine. Looks abnormally positive back there.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the longhorns mounted on the rack, the cowbell seems like a no brainer.

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pulled over Christmas Evening while returning from Nana's house. I was changing the radio station and the bus moved around a little within my lane. I had a full roof rack decorated with Christmas lights. A peach-fuzz-faced CHP pulled me over, then yelled at me when I didn't pull over where he wanted. Lucky for me a verteran Riverside PD officer pulled in behind the rook and talked some sense into him. The rook gave me crap about the Christmas lights so I haven't run them since. I am a teacher too and my students used to get a kick out of seeing my bus (with the Christmas lights) on the freeway at night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get pulled over all the time. When the RCMP sees my ethnicity, they usually are super nice and let me go 'with a warning.' It's one of the benefits of living in an all white town.

They have to keep the token brown man happy don't they? Laughing
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didnt say anything about that ugly stinger( its baffled), the qp just hangs to low, nothing about the yellow headlight lenses or the horns.i changed out my rear shocks to coil overs replaced broken e brake cables preping for 1300 mile roadtrip each way to so cal. rides better loaded up with the coil overs.leaving this friday.friends tell me ill get pulled over at least once in every state I drive thru.i guess Ill find out.mabey I can get a cool pic if its daylight of the flashing lights in my rear view mirror!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
I get pulled over all the time. When the RCMP sees my ethnicity, they usually are super nice and let me go 'with a warning.' It's one of the benefits of living in an all white town.

I've meant several Canadians of various tones of color and they all seem pretty white to me Laughing

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in washington stringers with baffles are techanical not illegal but they will get you pull over in every small town in this state

when i was young and had fast vws i always ran loud exhaust and it would always get me pulled over when the cops had nothing better to do

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time my bus and I got pulled over? When I ran a vanity euro plate in addition to my state plate...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
dawerks wrote:

I've meant several Canadians of various tones of color and they all seem pretty white to me Laughing

OUCH! Dude! That hurts! Smile But.. at the same time, it rings, OH SO TRUE!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get pulled over for "driving while hippie" but since I cut my hair off the cops mostly leave me alone now.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here my Singlecab is so Odd/Rare that the Cops just watch as I roll past, long hair and all.
Cory-- "Driving while Hippy" Clasic !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
cru62 wrote:

Damn, it sucks to get rousted by the cops. The only time I had it happen to me as an adult was when I was going to work in tony Del Mar in my patina '66 Westy. The cop saw me drive by, busted a U turn and pulled me over and ran everything, must of thought he caught Al Capone. He asked me if I was on a "10somethingornother" and when I looked at him all puzzled and what not and asked him what the hell that was all he said was, "You'd know if you were on one." WTF?? He then asked me what I was doing in Del Mar, and I said going to work, I'm a school teacher and you are making me late, at which point he finally backed off and wrote me a fix it ticket for a deal left tail light. Made me feel like I was 18 again in my '67 GTO Rolling Eyes

I could probably run this thread up to about six pages with all the stories of me being GUILTY OF DRIVING WHILE BROWN.
Yes Officer
I know this car needs seat belts
I know I'm missing one or two windows
I know car headlights are lower than should be
I know fenders are two different colors
I know I'm leaking allot of oil on the road.
and so on and so on!
So after many fix it tickets the thing that saved me most of time was the all my car were always registered and had insurance updated.
Lesson learned from buying a stolen convertible but that's another story for another time or thread.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Around here my Singlecab is so Odd/Rare that the Cops just watch as I roll past, long hair and all.
Cory-- "Driving while Hippy" Clasic !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Idaho is a very conservative state, run mostly by Mormons from the southern part. Boys shouldn't have long hair. Sandpoint is a little less strict overall, but it still happens regularly.

Good for you keeping the long hair flying. If mine weren't getting so thin and scraggly, I would have kept it. But I can't be THAT guy. You know the one, trying to keep his youthful image but looking silly with the pony tail that starts directly above his ears.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: