Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electronic points might be fryed how to tell
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrickn64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Electronic points might be fryed how to tell Reply with quote

My electronic points which is about half year might be out
So my car isn't running it will every now and then kick over but won't stay going for more than a few seconds so after checking everything I went to my my electronic points and tried to static time it with volt lamp and normaly when I would do this the light would be on then as I turn my distributor the light would go out but when I did it this morning the light stayed on even a full turn of distributor
Is my electronic ignition shot or what and yes I double checked the electronic points and coil are hooked up correctly
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been under the assumption that electronic ingnition modules either work or the don't. I'd check the plugs first. But the ligh not going off and on is worrysome. Anothe cause would be if the module is not properly grounded. As it turns it should ground and break and ground and break the coil. If not then it's fried. Check the coil resistance too.
BillMcQuade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my Compufire module died, it used to run fine, until it got hot, then it would scatter the timing everywhere, and break down over 3000rpm. Replaced with Pertronix, and the car was fine again.
AMR500 Supercharger
Pertronix
SS Exhaust
2.5" Drop Spindles
4 Wheel Disc
HID Headlights
patrickn64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you guys for the quick reply I just replaced all 4 of the plugs with ngk this last weekend so they can't be the problem I don't know what els to check and this is a Pertronics point and coil I will try to maybe polish up my conditions or something I'm realm not looking forward to replacing yet another set of these comp points but I do like them when they work
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go buy a set of points and condenser and install them. It shouldn't cost any more than $10-15.00.
It would be a lot cheaper than buying another electronic set for triple that or more.

This way you can test to see if it is the module without shelling out $69.00-$90.00 for them.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a test lamp across the negative (-) terminal of coil with other side of test lamp to ground and spin motor over, if lamp flashes on/off/on/off as engine turn over points module is probably good...

Could also be ignition switch going bad if you release key (from start position) and engine dies....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
patrickn64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with using points is that my past experience with them and my hot coil is they weld together if I leave the key on for one second to long and the lamp was the first test I did it seems like the light flashes but not on time like just randomly
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you leave the key on with a points replacement they will also fail. and are more expensive to replace.

here's a tip: don't leave the key on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Other Dyno Don
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
if you leave the key on with a points replacement they will also fail. and are more expensive to replace.

here's a tip: don't leave the key on.

Good TIP!

Also the PerTronix Ignitor II's have circuit Protection and don't fry if you accidentally hook them up backwards or leave the key on. Additionally they have adaptive Dwell that keeps the coil cooler and allows more spark energy from the coil when you really need it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: