Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help on vintage sauer & sohn info
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Help on vintage sauer & sohn info Reply with quote

I am trying to find info saur & sohn books adds anything on sauer & sohn parts . I know they are from Germany 1960s and 1970s they made intake manifolds linkage age and headers for vw bugs they also made parts for rallye vw bugs . any info would be great . I just bought a set of saur & sohn valve covers and intake manifolds and linkage and carbs and air cleaners off of Matt in YK . trying to build a old school rally motor also trying to find out what bosch dizy they use looks like a 019 or 010 I am hopeing some one from Germany might know or any one
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by spencerfvee on Sun May 26, 2013 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: help on vintage sauer & sohn info Reply with quote

hay guys some one has to know about sauer & sohn lol spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
I am trying to find info saur & sohn books adds anything on sauer & sohn parts . I know they are from Germany 1960s and 1970s they made intake manifolds linkage age and headers for vw bugs they also made parts for rallye vw bugs . any info would be great . I just bought a set of saur & sohn valve covers and intake manifolds and linkage and carbs and air cleaners off of Matt in YK . trying to build a old school rally motor also trying to find out what bosch dizy they use looks like a 019 or 010 I am hopeing some one from Germany might know or any one spencerfvee[img][/img][im
g][/img][im
g][/img][im
g][/img][i
mg][/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Vintage Speed forum.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool looking stuff! Cool
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw that kind of fan shroud before.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today I found out the my sauer & sohn parts from England are being held in customs . by order of home land security . here in the USA because the person in England thought here was insuring the parts for under $2,000 US money well it came to the USA it was insured $3,000.00 so home land security put a hold on my vw parts.. now all kinds of paper work is now needed so I can get my parts . if I don't do the paper work they keep my parts what a bunch of jerks I found out this because the guy in England used Fedx if he would of used UPS they take owenship of the packages till they get to the USA then they deal with customs and home land security and UPS sends the packages out when they clear customs Fedx does not take owenship of the packages .so I have to deal with home land security . I sure don't under stand why home land security is so upset over used vw vintage parts .if you buy parts over seas beware of what can happen to you spencerfvee . ="SBD"]Cool looking stuff! Cool[/quote]
jd-drafter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that shroud looks like they just moved the fresh air ducts to the top of the shroud- making more room for the dual carbs... i think i saw a home built job do that once.

not sure how well that would work in the real world...

cool parts though-
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berg's IDA manifold set ( the shorter GB 587) will not clear a regular later shroud, so the solutions are to use a 36hp unit or cut the air horns off.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they cut the fan housing so the sauer & sohn 46 IDA carbs and manifolds would clear the fan housing . they had to use a vw fan housing in 1973 rallye rule book .they built and raced 50 of those vw bugs in 1973 spencerfvee
jd-drafter wrote:
that shroud looks like they just moved the fresh air ducts to the top of the shroud- making more room for the dual carbs... i think i saw a home built job do that once.

cool parts though-
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauer and Sohn have been making guns since 1751. They still list VW components on their industrial site but it's in German and hard to navigate.

http://www.sauerundsohn-oem.com/vw_components.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauer_%26_Sohn
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of Manifolds for Solex P11's, They have a odd shaped port at the head...

I bought them off of E-bay cheap, I think I paid $25 for them.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those were the first big intakes used on the early 1970s rallye bugs .they then went to a 46 ida intake manifold I had two sets of the solex p11 intake manifolds one like yours with the D ports and one set with round ports I sold them years ago dang . lol.a lot of guys buy adapters for IDF weber carbs to solex p11 intake manifolds and run webers on the intake manifolds . nice intakes are they for sale lol had to ask Very Happy heres a picture of a 46 IDA intake I had years ago I cant find a picture of the solex intakes I had spencerfvee
earthquake wrote:
I have a set of Manifolds for Solex P11's, They have a odd shaped port at the head...

I bought them off of E-bay cheap, I think I paid $25 for them.

Casey

käfertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Cool stuff.
I have got a german document from " Odenwälder Präzisionswerk Peter Sauer und Sohn . 611 Dieburg / Hessen " that states the dissy is a Bosch JFR 4 (Bosch 0231129010) for the " Doppelvergaser SuS Nr. 002.001 E - 32 NDIX -". This is for a Twin Solex Double Down Draught Carburation, visible in the left side of pic.
Third Pic is from the famous "Porsche Salzburg" Rallye project. 46 IDAs on 1600 cc 120-125 HP at 6000 rpm 13.6 mkg at 5000 rpm. Very unique airducting.

Exaust system is a SuS 13/3.

@ spencer: sent your email to me per pm and I will give a copy to you
käfertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later they replaced 010 by 009. Later means in 1975.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kafertom oh dang I just bought a 019 . so it was a 010 oh well . I have the S&S intake manifolds for the 32ndix carbs .I also have the 32 ndix carbs and linkage and the sauer valve covers and the rare air cleaners that came from sauer & sohn this set up was on a 1970 rallye vw that was raced in the 1970s . I am working on a deal to buy a used sauer & sohn header I am going to try to put together a sauer & sohn motor . do you know what brand of cams were used in the rallye cars ? many thanks for your help spencerfvee
käfertom wrote:
Hi.
Cool stuff.
I have got a german document from " Odenwälder Präzisionswerk Peter Sauer und Sohn . 611 Dieburg / Hessen " that states the dissy is a Bosch JFR 4 (Bosch 0231129010) for the " Doppelvergaser SuS Nr. 002.001 E - 32 NDIX -". This is for a Twin Solex Double Down Draught Carburation, visible in the left side of pic.
Third Pic is from the famous "Porsche Salzburg" Rallye project. 46 IDAs on 1600 cc 120-125 HP at 6000 rpm 13.6 mkg at 5000 rpm. Very unique airducting.

käfertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard about a SuS Rallye-Project. But they made componends and engines with up to 150 HP. So cams used with SuS Carb Kits for street cars are stock. Individual cars may have been used in Rallyes. The only cars that raced consistantly are the Porsche Salzburg 1302 Super Beetles. Porsche Salzburg was the official Importeur of Porsches and Volkswagens in Austria. Have a look at the three pics and see the austrian number plates and the VW logo on workwear.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a book from sauer from matt in England who is a super guy for sending it to me spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
hi kafertom oh dang I just bought a 019 . so it was a 010 oh well . I have the S&S intake manifolds for the 32ndix carbs .I also have the 32 ndix carbs and linkage and the sauer valve covers and the rare air cleaners that came from sauer & sohn this set up was on a 1970 rallye vw that was raced in the 1970s . I am working on a deal to buy a used sauer & sohn header I am going to try to put together a sauer & sohn motor . do you know what brand of cams were used in the rallye cars ? many thanks for your help spencerfvee
käfertom wrote:
Hi.
Cool stuff.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

second sauer book from matt in England .
spencerfvee wrote:
they cut the fan housing so the sauer & sohn 46 IDA carbs and manifolds would clear the fan housing . they had to use a vw fan housing in 1973 rallye rule book .they built and raced 50 of those vw bugs in 1973 spencerfvee
jd-drafter wrote:

cool parts though-

käfertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

What does it say about their cams?
Really awsome documents!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I just got done with the valve covers and intake manifolds and linkage and air cleaners the carbs are at the shop being rebuilt . all these parts were collected by matt in England .. all I did was restore the parts. thanks so much matt .. I cant be leave how helpful every one has been with info . I never could have . found these parts with out samba . cant wait to find more parts lol Very Happy spencerfvee
SBD wrote:
Cool looking stuff! Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: