Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi imp - Need Help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Empi imp - Need Help Reply with quote

My name is Lauri and I was recently able to buy back a 1969 empi imp serial #1322 that my father and his father built when I was a kid. I thought it would be great to restore it and have my kids enjoy what my sisters and I had when we were young. Not sure if I made a mistake or not, but we decided to turn it over to a local buggy company to restore. We have spent so much money!

We are at the end of the restoration and I am being told that they can't find lights or a roll bar, not to mention the issue with seats. I love the look of the bullet lights; however, they would like to find ones that mount to the front instead of the fenders. Problem is they can't find ones that can serve as turning lights and day time lights. Not sure about this. We are also having an issue with the roll bar. They say it is in too bad of shape to restore.

Can anybody help me figure out what to do with the lights and the roll bar. I just want to be done with this buggy so we can enjoy it. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully the before pictures will give you an idea of what we are dealing with. Thanks
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Empi imp - buggy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/list]
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Empi imp - front Reply with quote

kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empi imp - front lights

I would like to try and find the lights attached on the front bottom if possible.
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was something wrapped around the roll bar that we didn't understand. Once removed, we are told that the bar is in too bad of shape to restore. Does anybody know if they can be restored? If not, is there a place I can get another. I can't find anything.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the roll bar goes, just make a new one. Measure the tubing diameter and have another made that matches it.

You are close enough to Gainsville FL dragstrip that you should be able to find some race car shops that will bend tubing. Once you locate one, take them the old bar so they can make a spot on match. Getting it chrome plated may be another problem all together and it will be expensive due to the size of the bar.

Welcome to the Samba! And sweet to find your fathers/grandfathers buggy to restore!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Getting it chrome plated may be another problem all together and it will be expensive due to the size of the bar.

Often getting it reproduced in polished stainless steel can be easier and sometimes cheaper than chrome plating. MUCH longer lasting as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
btonns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking Imp. I have an Imp too. The small oval lights you have near the front emblem were the original turn signal or running light for many of the early Imp bodies. Unfortunately, they are only single filament and can only be used for one function.

I have seen threads on thesamba of people trying to retro fit them to use as both turn signals and running lights. They are too small to house a 1157 dual filament bulb, so you would have to use LEDs or something smaller.

I am running those small lights as turn signals. I have small LEDs from superbrightleds.com that I am using for running lights. Make sure to check your state laws to see the correct height for light placement.

The original Imp roll bar is more of a show bar than anything. Some argue that the single hoop roll bars can do more harm than good (they can fold up like a mouse trap on a rollover). However, you can purchase a brand-new show bar from the Meyers Manx store.

http://www.meyersmanx.com/mmstore/store-rollbar.shtml

I believe they mount a little differently. So, you may have to patch holes in the fiberglass body and have the floor welded.

Also, here is an online version of the original EMPI Imp build manual hosted by Tijuana Kustoms.

http://www.tjkustoms.com/pdf/EMPI%20Imp.pdf
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

Thank-you guys for the feedback. btons, you are the great! That is what I needed for the roll bar (or show bar). The manx bar looks great and the buggy place is calling for dimensions to ensure it will work.

All, as for the lights, what are your thoughts of going with mounting the bullet light on the fender if we can't duplicate the lights in the front? I just found out from the buggy place that they are trying to find a bullet like what is in the picture that doesn't have a mounting stand as it the fender is curved. I think they are looking to go with the all chrome bullets but I like the look of what was on there with the amber lense sticking out of the chrome. They have to make these without the mounting stand. Thoughts?

Also, do for running lights. Is this a preference or is this required. I can't imagine a 1969 buggy would need them. Would it?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would want to check with your local DMV/RMV to see if running lights are required.

As for signals you can maybe try a set of Lucas L594 beehive bulbs. They are on EBAY and other sources. They look good, are kinda period, and have dual filaments.
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the dimensions of a Manx roll bar (in millimetres), not sure how well it will fit in an Imp as the Imp was one of the few buggies that wasn't Manx-derived.

Also the Manx bar doesn't mount to the floorpan like most, it's cut short and bolts thru to the chassis' rear forging...

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yours is close to mine as far as the serial#. Mine is 1325, looks like they could be same color too.

kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Rollbar Reply with quote

Manxdavid - thanks for the feedback on the rollbar. I have sent your feedback to the buggy company to see if it will work. I am hoping it does as I can't imagine the buggy without the rollbar. Thanks
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: #1325 Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 - looks like you have some work cut out for you! Although we are not restoring ours ourselves, it has been one heck of an experience. I can't wait to see it back in its original glory. Hopefully, I will be posting pictures in the upcoming months.

We are down to just a few final decisions. Almost there...
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Turning Signals Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on the turning signals. Typical women thought changing her mind. I have decided that I don't want to mount anything to the fender. I really like the lines of the Empi Imp fender. I would like to get the same amber lights that were on the pictures I posted. My father just told me that the white fog looking lights under the amber lights in the front were added later and are not orginal.

Can anybody point me in the direction of getting the flat amber lights in the chrome casing as noted on my before pictures? I have seen some that are circular but would like to have oval like the original if possible.
manxdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you're in Florida. There must be loads of places that can reproduce your Imp roll bar in stainless, chromed steel, powder coated steel or whatever. I had my last one done by a place that did swimming pool bars and ladders, handicap aids etc. You don't need to go to a VW shop.
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Rollbar Reply with quote

Thanks Manxdavid. I never thought about a pool place. I will keep that in mind.
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

btonns, can you send me a close-up picture of the front of your buggy with the lights? In one of your pix, it looks like you have the same ones for turn signals, but I can't see the running lights.

I really like the oval shape of the original turn signals versus the round ones. The closest that I could find was at

http://www.truckspring.com/heavy-duty-truck-parts/electrical/clearance-marker-lights/VSM3005A.aspx

Thoughts?
kidzbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on this one for the turning signal. Still not sure about running lights?
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Manx rollbar will bolt right into the EMPI IMP. Here is a friends IMP with the Manx Bar installed.

RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: