Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c705ncp wrote:
I know this an old post but does anyone know where I can advance and retard springs for Bosch distributors that fit type 1 VW Beetle.
I've got a couple of part numbers 059 998 211 or 1237 010 007.One is VW and the other is Bosch. I live the other side of the pond in UK but I'm quite happy to get in touch with supplier in USA
Robert

I'm not aware of anyone selling the correct springs. Do you have a good swap meet you can visit to pick up an old dirty distributor core? With a good cleaning, those springs might be as good as you can get. There's no telling how the weights of an aftermarket spring might compare to the Bosch original. Glenn or tasb will know for certain if you could buy a spring, but I always prefer dirty parts made in West Germany to anything made new.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c705ncp wrote:
I know this an old post but does anyone know where I can advance and retard springs for Bosch distributors that fit type 1 VW Beetle.
I've got a couple of part numbers 059 998 211 or 1237 010 007.One is VW and the other is Bosch. I live the other side of the pond in UK but I'm quite happy to get in touch with supplier in USA
Robert

The 059 998 211 comes up as a distributor shim kit, with no springs.
http://www.texasaircooled.com/catalog/BOSCH-Distri...8-211.html

Maybe post the vw and bosch numbers off the distributor?

I could only find pictures of a return spring.
NOS 021 256 255 Return Springs 1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Luck
Tcash
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
c705ncp wrote:
Robert

Good Luck
Tcash

Those are NOT distributor return springs... they are HUGE.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like #55 here: (73+ throttle return on PDSIT)

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man! Glad your thread popped back up, I saw it a while back and forgot about it.. I's just gonna say,

asiab wrote:
Somehow it has to be pressed out. I tried a 10-ton shop press and couldn't get it aligned enough. Eventually I had my dad hit it with a few hammers on a flat-nosed chisel. I held it steady and kept the shaft from turning from the inside. This did the trick, but I forgot to take a picture.

you were so close... soooo close.. Next time you do one, grab an arbor plate off the press and use it to rest the drive tang on, to keep the shaft from spinning when you knock the pin loose.

also.. you can use a bench vise to press the pin back in place. Once the pin is seated as far as you can go with the vise, put a BB or ball bearing between the vise jaw and the pin to push it in all the way.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Tcash wrote:
c705ncp wrote:
Robert

Good Luck
Tcash

Those are NOT distributor return springs... they are HUGE.

That's funny. I don't know what the heck that spring fits.
Thanks Glen
Tcash
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ever get your mystery retard figured out?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
You ever get your mystery retard figured out?

Yeah, a few pages back. The distributor drive gear play was obtuse, AND I didn't have the spring installed correctly. I smashed the spring down so hard by hand that it got caught compressed in the drive gear. The distributor is rocking in Hambone's second pastel white '69 Westy at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed seeing where you had found the issue. I'm putting together a Bosch version of the 205Q for my own bus - did the vac can have anything to do with your timing problem or was it all mechanically related?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I missed seeing where you had found the issue. I'm putting together a Bosch version of the 205Q for my own bus - did the vac can have anything to do with your timing problem or was it all mechanically related?

My issue was purely mechanical, though my vacuum can pictured ruptured in about a week of hard driving. The used one I put on is still going strong.

And you didn't miss it; I can't find it either! During this thread I got tired of a lot of BS info on this site and I moved my technical questions over to the IAC forums. Cool

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11791
(Top of page 2)

Robbie
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about that bro!
Did you ever replace the dist drive gear? I've been unhappily watching my timing scatter with my 205T SVA - never thought about that spring being part of it like Amskeptic mentioned over there. Good info.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
No doubt about that bro!
Did you ever replace the dist drive gear? I've been unhappily watching my timing scatter with my 205T SVA - never thought about that spring being part of it like Amskeptic mentioned over there. Good info.

As I built up my current engine mocked up the assembly over and over, it became painfully obvious how important drive pinion to gear mesh is. Unfortunately, it can only be set perfect with the case split. Now, you could fully seat the drive pinion, measure it with a depth micrometer, then measure your distributor bottom-to-clamp distance. I err on the small end of the tolerance, because the magnesium case buttress that holds the pinion will wear over time. The drive pinion itself is made of significantly harder metal, so it won't wear fast enough for anybody on planet earth to work about.

The old engine got wonky on me around the time that I fixed this issue, and I realized on teardown that I had been driving for months with a dropped intake valve seat. (Note: throw those damn aftermarket cylinder tins away.) So I never got a chance to run this distributor on a perfect dual port after the first month I drove with it before the problem showed up. But damn, it drives sooooo smooth!

Does your timing scatter at idle, speed, or both? Vertical play in the distributor shaft combined with a loose drive pinion tolerance can cause a small version of what I found on the old engine. A radially worn bushing or two in the distributor shaft will absolutely cause scatter as well. If the radial play is perceptible, I won't use the core for a rebuild. Cores are cheap right now, so I have a box of 205Ts for the future when they're scarce…

The funny thing is, these are all problems that electronic points replacement zealots tote around as being fixable by the modules. Nope, just bad advertisement lies; fix 'yer cars.

Robbie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timing scatter is often

1. a bad gun or inductive pickup. Sometimes reversing the direction of the pickup helps.
2. wobble in the shaft - usually shows up as fluctuations in dwell too
3. bad or worn points. Sometimes the pivot can be sticky and the spring not strong enough to bring them back so they float.
4. If electronic ignition the magnets or optical wheel can be loose.

On a VW it can also be a loose, damaged, or missing spring between the drive gear and distributor as you found out. Basically anything that allows the points or electronic ignition to fire at slightly different times - or delays in the timing light due to electronic failure there.
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of tool do you guys like for pushing the split snap ring onto the shaft? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GusC2it wrote:
What kind of tool do you guys like for pushing the split snap ring onto the shaft? Razz

Find an old writing pen with a metal body. Unscrew it (remove the inside), and use half of the body as your tool. The diameter of the body should be just slightly larger than that of the snap ring. Use a dab of grease to hold the snap ring in place on the open end of your tool, then tap it on to the shaft with a small hammer.

I used this method and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by waxhead on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic Reply with quote

Nice Mike! I wound up maKING SOMETHING SIMILLAR. Cool
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Robbie stopped by my place a few weeks ago when he picked up the bug for his buddy. He saw this NOS Bosch 853 vacuum can and suggested I post some pictures of it since it's missing the dimple in it that was so heavily talked about in this thread.

It's marked 853 on the arm.

This distributor which is very close the 205Q in curve had this non-dimpled, 853 can on it. I bought it to rebuilt it and try in my bus. I'm currently running a bug DVDA 043C in it which works nice. I'm just curious to know the difference in drivability between these two distributors.

It appears that the can pull range is adjustable on it? Anyone know for sure?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Can you get a good pic of the other side of the adjustment screw. Inside the dist. where it would contact the actuating arm?
Thanks
Tcash

Or better yet, pull the vacuum can and takes some pix.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Can you get a good pic of the other side of the adjustment screw. Inside the dist. where it would contact the actuating arm?
Thanks
Tcash

Or better yet, pull the vacuum can and takes some pix.

Here's the further pictures. I'm not sure how much that adjustment would effect anything? It looks like the pull arm hits the can and the peg before the adjustment would have any effect? Maybe what I'm viewing as an adjustment is how they assembled it?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing a DVDA or SVDA distributor - my photographic tale Reply with quote

Maybe thru some error the can brackets were originally made without the stop, and they did that instead of chucking the lot?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: