Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot start technique...?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ghia wrote:
I have this problem as well. I have noticed, after long driving, you can undo the gas cap and give it a few seconds or a minute. Then hope back in and it starts right up. LOL

You need to clear your plugged vent line my friend!

Paul
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul - seems like the options are the cutoff solenoid and a bypass, an electric pump setup, or a stock-style pump - which for me may be the most cost-effective and easiest...

This one is not a vw-logoed unit but is Brosol rebuildable style - does this look like the right item (1500 SP)? I think it will work, just not sure it has the cutoff/bypass feature?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1403401
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema really hit the nail on the head with the technical reasons, but if you want a redneck fix, (which I never usually suggest,) park with the car facing slightly downhill. In Phoenix AZ my 1600dp would start like a champ, unless I let it sit for over 5 minutes on a hot day. Then it took a SLOW press of the accelerator pedal until it was floored, then a few seconds of cranking. The richness needs a fully open carb to get a good mixture. Parking nose up made the problem worse, so I park nose down, even a couple degrees, and the start time gets much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem with our 1960 bus, even with early stock rebuildable fuel pump. Added a second gasket between the float shut off valve and top of the carb solved it.

Check your float for any cracks and fuel in it. Even a totally perfect float can just be too heavy. Had flooding with an all stock 1963 SC even in cool weather, and only solved that by replacing the float with another.

Have been lots of reports of the new shut off valves not working properly......
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
but if you want a redneck fix, (which I never usually suggest,) park with the car facing slightly downhill. In Phoenix AZ my 1600dp would start like a champ, unless I let it sit for over 5 minutes on a hot day. Then it took a SLOW press of the accelerator pedal until it was floored, then a few seconds of cranking.

Lol, I've done that too! The SLOW press of the accelerator pedal is correct. A quick press will squirt more gas in from the accelerator pump and make it worse Wink
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a reminder you should also be sure that everything is working properly with your carb and that its properly jetted. Otherwise it will contribute to the problem.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the FIRST thing I'd check is valve clearance. (The car can seem to be running just fine with tight valves, while a nightmare to restart when hot.) If normal valve clearance, I would then concur with fuel pump or vaporlock issues. Selenoids and whatnot are for a starter motor that's acting up .. but that doesn't sound like what the OP is describing.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that the valves are properly adjusted. I have ordered an original style pump that can be rebuilt and will verify pump pressure when I install.

I prefer the old style pump to the throw away one on there now. I think the fuel system likely worked well in a variety of temps as originally designed but years down the road lots has changed with aftermarket parts etc. I have mostly original components but not with the fuel system as it has an H30/31 and a Brazilian pump too.
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Just installed an original-style pump as suggested. Still need to do some driving to see if this helps the issue, but I can say the old "chrome top" sealed throwaway pump was putting out 8 psi - there was only one gasket on there and none under the stand. Also, the pressure remained when the engine was shut off, and I assume would eventually dissipate by flooding the carb somewhat

I added several gaskets and even shortened the pushrod a bit. Lower pressure, plus the pressure drops immediately to zero when the car is switched off, so some hope that hot-weather driving will be improved.

Also took the opportunity to move the fuel filter out of the engine bay - plus this pump has the built-in cone filter also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you have it fixed.

You need a metal vacuum tube to the carb that either has a hump or full loop to keep fuel from getting to the vacuum advance of the distributor. Gas for that diaphragm is not good for it.

Also install hose clamps on both ends of both ends of the fresh air tubes to keep them from popping off and frying a head.

All of those holes in the shroud need to be plugged up to keep as much of the cooling air going to cool the engine.
Spark plug wire holder and the thermostatic flaps will help with that and other problems.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image of the hump type:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I do in fact have clamps on all the fresh air tubes but you can't quite see them in the photos. In addition to the clamps I had to add the couplers from the tubes to the heater box connection on the muffler.

PO had obviously done some quick work here and I have been fixing little things for a while. Easy to plug those shroud holes. I had never heard the humped steel vacuum line was important - makes sense, though.

As for the flaps - that's the big fix, as the car came from Florida and lacks the flaps or thermostat. Amazing how many original items are hacked away as unnecessary.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccihon wrote:
As for the flaps - that's the big fix, as the car came from Florida and lacks the flaps or thermostat. Amazing how many original items are hacked away as unnecessary.

And it's funny that they throw that stuff out because of being in a hot enviornment, and our engines run hotter without the flaps directing airflow. I had the same problem and had to buy parts to put it all back together. Flaps, linkages, thermostat, Hoover bit, even the duct that sends the hot air from the oil cooler out of the compartment was missing Mad
ghiaghia67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 65 bug 1600 dual port. In the summer time it was hard to start after driving around in west texas. Read somewhere to take the fuel pump out and sand the out side of the intermediate flange. What would happen when the engine got hot it would put a bind on the rod going into the flange. They said after sanding it it should drop down into the engine. I did that and it fixed the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Owner's Manual states that with temps over 86 degrees F and engine hot, to depress the pedal and operate the starter. This is nothing new. I have seen all kinds of Dumb stuff done to try and cure this, like tin foil and close pins all over the fuel lines Brick wall Brick wall I have to do this with all of my VW's with34 ict's and 44 idf's and the Weber Progressive and stock carbs I have run. This is just part of having a Carb, it ain't fuel injected. Folks coming in to the VW scene that are use to FI cars have a little bit of a Learning Curve to go thru.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccihon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether I should take offense - so I won't! I have owned a myriad of carburated vehicles - my first car st 16 was the only Rabbit from the factory with a solex - a '75 - I'm no spring chicken. I now have it starting easily by depressing the pedal fully when hot. If you look at what I had described earlier, it was far more difficult to start than as detailed in the manuals.

I was dealing with a situation where I had to deplete the battery while cranking for a long time, and once it fired up, lots of smoke and drama. This was, btw, with temps outside closer to 75 than 85.

Not sure what folks who "come into the scene" from FI do or don't do, but I hope they aren't putting up with a situation like I had.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
I have to do this with all of my VW's with34 ict's and 44 idf's and the Weber Progressive and stock carbs I have run.

I never have to do this. Just sayin'!
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccihon wrote:
Not sure whether I should take offense - so I won't! I have owned a myriad of carburated vehicles - my first car st 16 was the only Rabbit from the factory with a solex - a '75 - I'm no spring chicken. I now have it starting easily by depressing the pedal fully when hot. If you look at what I had described earlier, it was far more difficult to start than as detailed in the manuals.

Don't take offense, I wasn't trying to come off as putting anyone down. Glad you got it worked out, 8 lbs of fuel pressure, WOW, wasn't helping at all.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's an Ohio thing, our Ghia does the same thing. Wink
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem. Having the valves, points and timing spot-on helped but did not solve the problem. Even tried to hunt down that elusive, mystical "vapor lock" problem. Ends up I had a bad coil. Did know until it finally went but I think it was sub-par out of the box. New coil and no problem starting when hot. It never was a vapor lock problem since the car would flood trying to start it. On a stock car I think vapor lock is an incorrectly over diagnosed cause. These cars would never have sold if vapor lock was as prevalent as one would think by reading this board. Just my opinion. I guess my point is that the cause of a hard hot start can be a myriad of different things. I never would have suspected the coil although I did see it mentioned by a poster in one topic on this forum as a possibility. Apparently the problem can surface when the coil gets hot. I'll let someone else explain why that is.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: