Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how cold is too cold - temperature
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

My project has dragged on due to other demands but now that school is out I have time, but its gotten cold in my garage.

I am using GenVerde base and clear.

I cant find any information on the low temperature base line,

My guess is it will not flash very quickly compared to the 70F I had when I did the fenders, hoods and doors.

I dont think I can run a heater in the garage but I might be able to run it prior to spraying.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

That’s what I did in my dyi paintbooth. I ran an open flame propane htr for about an hr b4 I started painting. Outside temperatures where around the mid-50s. I was able to heat a non insulated garage to just above 70 which was adequate for my basecoat/clear color using medium reducer and activator for the clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

alright, sounds like a plan, thanks
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

Its not only flash times but curing times that will be effected by the cold. And be sure everything is WELL ventilated before you fire up anything open flamed.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

Yes curing times will be extended. And when your garage reaches 70F or higher watch out for the moths, flies, & other flying insects you thought were done for the winter. A mosquito found it’s way onto my decklid while my paint was still tacky and the outside temps were in the mid 50s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

https://www.generalpaint.biz/home/tds-sds?category=genverde
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
https://www.generalpaint.biz/home/tds-sds?category=genverde

I was on that page but failed to realize you could click on the TDS/SDS

cheers

Peter
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: how cold is too cold - temperature Reply with quote

55deg is absolute min for nearly all paints. 70 deg is most recommended. Nearly all labeled flash and cures are based on 70. They get shorter up to 110 and then some say flash is too quick, dont shoot. Once you shoot, it will turn out best if you keep the temp constant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: