Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MN bumpered Bay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moxnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope we see you at the bug in , good luck
joey944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Joey!
I'm hoping to have this ready for the Bug In, though, that might be cutting it close.

Hope you get her finished for the bug in too!! Still have those rear boomerang plates? have you ever done drop spindles? I'm weighing building vs. buying. [/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
briancustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey944 wrote:
Quote:

Hi Joey!
I'm hoping to have this ready for the Bug In, though, that might be cutting it close.

Hope you get her finished for the bug in too!! Still have those rear boomerang plates? have you ever done drop spindles? I'm weighing building vs. buying.
[/quote]

I ran Wagenswest drop spindles when it was static. I haven't attempted building my own spindles, cast steel kinda scares me. I can build 4 3/4" rear drop plates, and could probably easily build the shorter set, just haven't needed to yet.
briancustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update. Overtime at work, lack of motivation when I do have time, and being out of town for a long wedding weekend have kept me from moving forward quickly. That, and unforeseen tweaks that I had to make.

I got the driver's side all bracketed up and welded.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But, before I could do that, I had some narrowing issues. My passenger side radius arm fit perfectly, but, due to the asymmetrical shape of the nose cone on the trans, I needed to narrow the driver's side radius arm about 1 1/4".

Then bag mock up started. As well as more sheetmetal cutting. At this point, I'm going to try and get all the necessary sheetmetal back in (engine sealing, gas tank mounting, etc.), but I think it will just end up being easier to build a new floor instead of trying to put the floor that I cut out back in with the needed raise.

I fabbed up some lower bag mounts, upper plates, and notch fish plates/bridge plates.

The lower plates have been tacked up and tacked to the radius arms at this point, and I have my upper bag mounts marked out on sheet steel, just need to cut them out sometime this week hopefully.
briancustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward progress on the bridge.

Got my bridge and radius arms all mocked up and tacked and pulled out to fully weld.

Fully welded and then installed.

Unfortunately, this is where I'm going to take a break on the bus. There may be another shot in the next few days after I get it off of the stands and pushed outside so I can swap spots in the garage. With two projects in different stages, I'd feel rather depressed if I wasn't able to drive at least one of them now that the weather is getting nice and shows are starting. With my Volkstruck only needing basic maintenance to get back to driving status, I'm going to focus on that and be able to have something at our local Bug In, Back to the Fifties, and Camp n Drag this summer. As soon as I can, I'll get back to this project and hopefully be able to drive it at some point this year.
briancustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least got it off of the stands last night. Hopefully it dries up around here by tomorrow so I can get some shots of it outside.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that is a ton of nice work you've done. Maybe I missed it, but is there a reason you didn't ditch the mustache bar mount and convert to the early bus/beetle style frame horns? It seems to be a much better setup for max ground clearance.
briancustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Damn, that is a ton of nice work you've done. Maybe I missed it, but is there a reason you didn't ditch the mustache bar mount and convert to the early bus/beetle style frame horns? It seems to be a much better setup for max ground clearance.

I planned on it, actually saved the frame horns from a Beetle parts car I had. After taking everything into consideration, I decided it would be much easier to just narrow and raise the moustache bar. Its also for peace of mind. Now, if I hear something dragging, I know its the moustache bar, and not my oil pan.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.
westco-deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks killer!! at 6'3" im interested in the seats, did you fab them up or ??
briancustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: MN bumpered Bay Reply with quote

She's still unfinished, but very close. Sadly, I've burnt out on her and posted a For Sale ad in the classifieds.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1947816
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: