Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New here and new to Beetles. My 74 standard project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: New here and new to Beetles. My 74 standard project Reply with quote

Thought I would show what I have and ask a few questions. Let me start with who I am. I am a hot rodder who has been building cars all my life. I do everything from top to bottom myself and try and save money wherever I can. I can do engines, bodywork, paint, welding, you name it.

I recently found a 74 Beetle on Craiglist and got it real cheap. I have always loved bugs and always wanted one but until now I've always had old hot rods. The bug has a fair amount of rust but it had a lot going for it. It had a 1600 dual port that has a bunch of chrome and it had Empi 8 spokes. It was at some point probably a sorta cal look car with the trim removed and what not. It had been sitting for 13 years when I got it 2 weeks ago. The engine was stuck and the tires were flat. There was an army of ants living inside (still a few left to kill).

I got it on a trailer and got it home and began my love affair. I got it cleaned up and assessed what I needed to do. I started by pouring PB Blaster down the carbs and let it soak for a few days. The engine was newly built and only had been running for less than a year when it was parked so I was hopeful. After about 2 days of soaking I was able to break the engine free. With the replacement of the starter and some fun figuring out wiring I got it started. It seems to run really good and I haven't done anything but put new plugs and new fuel lines and filter along with cleaning the gas tank. I haven't even had to adjust the carbs and it will fire right off without touching the gas. I have started to clean up and paint the rims (still trying to decide on color) and started massaging a hugely dented fender. The car has been driven around the block and will be driven farther when I get some tires and brake lights working.

So begins my questions

1. I had to run a jumper wire to the starter to get it to fire. I know from reading on here the 74 has a seat belt interlock. Where are the components for that located so I can bypass it without wiring a separate starter switch? When I turn the switch I get a little bit of power at the solenoid but not enough to turn it over.

2. Where does the brake light wiring run? It goes from the lights to what looks like inside the wheel well by the engine. I have no brake lights or tail lights at all.

3 I want to lower the front end. If I do a "cut and turn" how far do I turn it to get say 2.5 inch drop and in what direction?

That's what I want to do to get it on the road. There will be plenty of rust and body repair but I want to do a rolling resto.

Thanks ahead of time.

Where it sat and I found it...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulling it from it's resting spot...

The engine after I cleaned it up some...

After I got it home and got all the Empi rims on it.

As of Last night...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found a decent starting point... Smile

As far as dropping the front 2.5", you will have interference with the fender lip if you use those 8spokers...they don't have enough back spacing

Compare with my 5.5" et 40 wheels with 195s up front

Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you simply need a new ignition (the electrical part). You can get new ones at most on-line vendors. A hard-start wouldn't hurt, either. Also, get a Bently with all the wiring diagrams for your year bug--maybe a Hayne's, too.

Have fun.

Tim
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get a wiring diagram and chase down the issue. I am headed to a swap meet tomorrow and hopefully I can find some parts.

I know the 74 has larger holes in the fenders for the shock style bumpers. I am hoping to switch to T-bars. If I get earlier fenders will they bolt up to the car? My fenders are pretty beat up anyway so I may need to change them. If I do I wouldn't mind getting rid of the elephant foot tail lights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Veedubaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome to the site. I am also enjoying a 1974 Standard. Be advised that alot of the parts, bits, and bolts are one year only. With this in mind, be carefull what you order and from whom you order. Make sure you describe you Beetle and ask 74 Standard questions! Very Happy
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'll be watching this. I also bought a 74' standard beetle about two weeks ago. Mine is a little better shape. I just got off work out of state. I plan to work on it tomorrow. Got a grand of parts to put on. I'll take lots of pics.

Would you be interested in selling your bumpers? I bought some on eBay. But I'm not to happy with the quality. They look great, but they are paper thin. I never had a bug before, but I can't hardly believe the bumpers could be that weak. I sware I could bend them with my bare hands.

Anyways, good luck on the bug and take lots of pics.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Standards are great cars.

good luck with it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: 74 Standard Reply with quote

Congratulations on your acquisition! This brings back memories, as my first Beetle (in high school) was an almost new '74 Standard...and I later found a second one. Other than some rust issues later (I think VWAG reduced the rustproofing in the 70's to save costs), they were both reliable and would cruise all day at highway speeds.

Please keep us in the loop as you work on this '74 Smile

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helirich wrote:

Would you be interested in selling your bumpers? I bought some on eBay. But I'm not to happy with the quality. They look great, but they are paper thin. I never had a bug before, but I can't hardly believe the bumpers could be that weak. I sware I could bend them with my bare hands.

If I can get the T-bars to work then I would sell my bumpers. They are flimsy feeling too though. Not sure they would be any better than what you have.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll keep the pics coming as I make progress. I have to finish my buddies car before I can get much done on mine. I did do some work on the fender though and after hammer and dolly work and some shrinking I have it almost back to where a real light skim coat of filler is all that is needed.

I am starting to collect parts and found some pop outs at the swap meet this weekend that I got for $40 for the pair. I have heard they help a ton.
Geoffffreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helirich wrote:
Would you be interested in selling your bumpers? I bought some on eBay. But I'm not to happy with the quality. They look great, but they are paper thin. I never had a bug before, but I can't hardly believe the bumpers could be that weak. I sware I could bend them with my bare hands..

I am also a 74 std owner. i have the original bumpers on mine and they are very tough. i can stand on mine jump on them, and they weigh about 50lbs each. you have probably gotten a chinese pair. i would look for some at a swap meet were you can know the quality. Very Happy
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoffffreak wrote:
I am also a 74 std owner. i have the original bumpers on mine and they are very tough. i can stand on mine jump on them, and they weigh about 50lbs each. you have probably gotten a chinese pair. i would look for some at a swap meet were you can know the quality. Very Happy

Wow, mine don't weigh 40 for the both. I installed the front with a reinforcement bar behind it. It's not too bad, but I still can't stand on it or the top edge would bend down. I guess they are just temporary.
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy so i haven't posted any updates on my project so I'll try to bring it up to date now for anyone interested.

I patched the rusted battery tray with metal that I bent to shape. I don't have pics of this.

I installed a set of pop-out windows I got from a swap meet. I replaced the front and rear window gaskets (they had huge gaps in them).

I removed the shocks for the bumpers and welded in metal to fill the holes and cut out slits for the T-bars. I would like to put early bumpers on it but I don't think the way that I fabricated mounts will allow me to do that.

I cut out the bad spot on the drivers quarter and formed a patch panel and got it tacked in place.

Painted the engine bay and underside of decklid with flat black.

Found some Hella headlight rings at the swap meet and replaced the stock ones.

Found a replacement tail light lens and installed it.

Cleaned up the rims and painted them. Put new tires on the front (195/65 r15) and some used on the rear (205/70 r15).

I removed all the drums and cleaned the brakes up. I broke my SnapOn breaker bar trying to remove the castle nuts on the rear drums.

And I sanded the car and put it in black primer.

The car is starting to come together. I am just trying to make it a driver at the moment but will work on perfecting things after it is all together. I still need to figure out the brake lights and why they aren't working. I did take it for about a 10 mile drive to a car show to pass out flyers for a car show I help put on. I had my buddy follow me so I wouldn't surprise anyone with the lack of brake lights. The car ran great and drove really well.

I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to go for the look of the car. I think I will lower the front for now and try to get it painted. I don't think I'll put any roof racks or anything else on it but I'd appreciate any input or opinions.
james74sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are really getting a lot of work done! I love the pop out windows,I'm gonna put a set in my 74 Super...Your car is looking great!Keep up the good work! Cool
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far Exclamation Exclamation
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I like it. Keep the pictures coming. Wink And please dont install 1 piece windows. If you do, keep the old parts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone. It really has been fun to work on so far. The popouts were super easy to do james74sb. You should definitely do it. As for the one piece windows, JasonBaker, there is no chance. It is way too hot and humid here in the summer and I need the wing windows.

I'm still trying to figure out what the final "look" will be. As you can probably tell from the background of the pics I like old cars and hot rods. So this will almost surely have a nose down rake and look as hot rodded as possible. I'm going to be picking up adjusters this week and after i install them I should get a better idea what the final look will be.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick some weight in the trunk and see how it looks with the drop. I think you will need at least 2-3" - probably a little more. But to keep those wheels, you will need a narrowed beam. So - if you are doing that - do an adjustable narrowed. 2" narrowed may be enough.

Car looks good and you are kicking butt.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
too_many_projects
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you put the pop out windows in the rear?
I have a '77 and also have a set of pop outs that i picked up but can not figure out how to install them. There is now place inside to mount the hinges, like on the early ones.
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Stick some weight in the trunk and see how it looks with the drop. I think you will need at least 2-3" - probably a little more. But to keep those wheels, you will need a narrowed beam. So - if you are doing that - do an adjustable narrowed. 2" narrowed may be enough.

Car looks good and you are kicking butt.

Thanks. I'm trying to get it done fast and on a budget. I'm thinking when I put the adjusters in the front I probably will narrow the beam. I would like to know how narrow i can go and still keep the shock towers. I've read 4 inches. Does anyone know for sure?
savoy_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too_many_projects wrote:
How did you put the pop out windows in the rear?
I have a '77 and also have a set of pop outs that i picked up but can not figure out how to install them. There is now place inside to mount the hinges, like on the early ones.

I removed the windows with one of those suction cup deals. I put it on the outside and pulled back the weatherstripping on the inside while pulling on the suction cup.

I was able to remove the windows withou any damage to the weatherstrip.

Then when it's out of the way the holes for the hinge are already in the pinch weld.

The back bracket mounts with 3 screws that screw into "dimpled" areas on the sail panel. I peeled back the headliner and found the dimpled areas to line up the mounting area.

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: