Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

Hello.

This is the first time I’ve posting anything on the samba. I have a 1987 GL that is in need of a new engine. I’ve been searching around all over the place and I’m wondering what people think about the rebuilt engines from Busdepot.com. Does anyone have a recommendations?

It’s getting into nice weather and I’d like to get this on the road again.

Thanks for reading.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

First things first....

WELCOME!!!!!

If you follow this link and scroll down to rebuilt engines, you will find several discussion threads on the various options available over the years.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236044#6236044

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

Welcome! I have bought 2 rebuilds over the years, both failed, but i have a 80's air cooled engine. my current engine I sent out and had it rebuilt. None of them ever ran like the original. As far as the Bus Depot goes, I have been using them for years and am very happy with them. They do get there engine from a rebuilder in California. Good luck with your project!
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

It is better if you can find a local shop to supply and or rebuild the engine in house and install it. Otherwise any issues with the engine or the install and you will be caught in the middle with neither party taking responsibility. Plus you are not paying shipping both ways if they do in house rebuilds.

It might seems like a reasonable risk to take, but issues do seem to happen a lot and will make you want to burn your van to the ground. I went out of my way to buy the best rebuilt engine I could at the time (Boston Bob) who had an excellent reputation. I had it installed at one of the more expensive shops in Boulder and the combination of old senors and a new engine did not play well together. The installer said tough luck, the engine builder tried to troubleshoot over the phone, but in the end, said, it must be an install problem. 6 months later and lots more money spent at several shops, it still would not start when cold and idled lousy. The installer said they all do that. I got lucky and found someone parting out a van and I replaced a half dozen parts with used ones and eventually got it running like it used to.

Based on the low cost of the Buse Depot/AVP engine, I would be wary anyway. But in Washington, you should be able to find an old school VW shop that has experience rebuilding engines. It is usually better to have your engine rebuilt than take your chances on whatever core POS engine was turned in last. Considering how many engines AVP sells, it doesn't seem like they have a ton of complaints and you do get a warrantee of some kind from BusDepot/AVP. But shipping an engine back, or even pulling it to fix something is a losing proposition regardless.

I did mine over 10 years ago and in the end it cost well over $5000 to get it running well and many trips to different shops and finally me just throwing parts at it. If you can find a shop that has a good reputation, they should stand behind their work and if you have problems it should be on them. There are too many stories of high oil consumption, or leaks or early failures to take a chance with a lower cost rebuild IMO. But I am the 1 out of 10 that had problems, the other 9 probably would say go for it.

Last edited by davevickery on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

davevickery makes a great point about your location. maps tell me that you're relatively close to both Seattle/Kent and Walla Walla. Yes I consider 2-4 hours "close." Northwest Connecting Rod is in Seattle/Kent and Rocky Jenning is in Walla. Both have good reps here, I think many would consider RJ to be the best WBX rebuilder in the business right now. If you can save delivery cost by driving there to p/u, core exchange, etc- way worth the extra initial purchase IMO.

Edit: Although I'm not saying anything bad about bus depot/AVP engines, don't have an opinion on them but the lack of bad reviews does seem like a good indicator- lords know people are good at complaining online and it'd be obvious if problems were common.
eug_camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

Ditto on going local for your rebuild. I had an option to replace a failed 1.9 liter in the middle of California. Tried to get Van Cafe to do it, but they were out of the mechanic business at the time. I opted to haul the thing home and have our local VW-only mechanic, No Name Garage, do the work. Miles had a newly rebuilt 2.1 on the shelf from a customer who wanted something larger, so I got that one. Very happy with the engine and the work done, and I know Miles will take care of my Vanagon.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

There are enough different outcomes for each approach (crated rebuild from a vendor, local shop rebuild, etc.) that is difficult to say which path will get you a good result.

My own experience was a rebuilt 2.2 from GoWesty that went in 12 years ago. It has performed flawlessly proving... absolutely nothing.

I will say that GoWesty does provide a lot of detail about what they do in the rebuild - that's helpful as the term itself means different things to different people:

http://www.gowesty.com/product/rebuilt-engines/24110/2200cc-engine-?v=

At least you live in a part of the world where there appears to be local options worth considering.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

X2 on Rocky Jennings if what you want is a long block. I am going to use him for the engine to go into my euro bus project.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

Jerry at Northwest Connecting Rod does good work. I guess he'll build up to a 2.3. He's in Kent, and his customer sevice is top notch in my book. Old-school engine builder who's been the go-to VW guy in Puget Sound for longer than I've been alive! I had him build me a 2.2 for the syncro westie I used to have, and if I ever find the right van he'll be my go-to guy for waterboxer work. Oval's Motorsport down towards Tacoma also does waterboxers, and I've never heard anything bad about them. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there are good local options where customer service is close at hand. I'm not trying to take away from Bus Depot, but they are an East Coast based business sourcing motors from someplace else. Sounds like a gaggle to me. Best of luck!
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

I got my rebuild from Oval Motorsports in my last Westy. Can't comment on its longevity but my mechanic was impressed and it ran beautifully before the van was hit, in fact the last words that were said in the van were...." did the engine stall...wow it's that quiet, look the lights green"
Would have loved to give you the long term breakdown but I was happy for the first few thousand miles.
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
barrydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

I was also looking at the rebuilds from Bus Depot. I have an 86 Vanagon 2.1. Finding a local rebuilder is great advice. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rebuilder in the Atlanta, Georgia area?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

The VanAlert app lists Autobahn Automotive in Augusta, GA. The search function isn't working on the app, so its kind of a pain to scroll through and randomly select one to see if its near you..
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

barrydollar wrote:
I was also looking at the rebuilds from Bus Depot. I have an 86 Vanagon 2.1. Finding a local rebuilder is great advice. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rebuilder in the Atlanta, Georgia area?

Hey Barry - glad to see you guys got a new bus!

Down here in Atlanta I’m not sure I agree that it’s a good idea to go with a local rebuilder. They just flat out don’t exist. Autobahn in augusta is the first and only shop I’ve found that I feel comfortable working on my Vanagons. My Syncro is there now. Probably worth giving Dan a call to see if he’d rebuild your motor. They specialize in modern German cars but there’s always a Vanagon or two on the lot.

I’m extremely happy with my GoWesty 2.3. Tons of power and running strong after almost 100k miles.
barrydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

Yes! We got a Vanagon "Wylie". 1986, 2.1 with AC. Been sitting in previous owner's garage for past 14 years. Hope to have it on the road before the end of the year. Join you guys in the MLK weekend, and head to Portland OR next summer! Right off the bat two recommendations for Autobahn in augusta. I will give them a call. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reinheitsgebot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

Hello there. Just want to add my 2 cents. There are also a number of shops experienced in subaru conversion close to you. I personally used North Westy.
IMO, a conversion to a modern engine is by far the best option.
16" mercedes wheels with T3 hardware
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

A small car conversion to Suby will cost you $12-15K

It looks like the now popular 1.8T conversion costs about $18K

Turbo Diesel conversion will cost you $20K plus a failed transaxle in 6 months

A BusDepot 2.1 rebuild is $2000 plus shipping and install. You do the math.

Just a regular guy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilt engine from BusDepot.com Reply with quote

How long do you want to drive your Van?

If it’s 5 years or more, it’s time to do the rebuild yourself. You will have to do the next one yourself, and that will be harder than this one
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: