Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thinking about it...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: thinking about it... Reply with quote

...kind of always wanted one...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1667486229986323/

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Go for it... and bring a suitcase full of cash to get it reliable.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Go for it... and bring a suitcase full of cash to get it reliable.

But it's just a rusted out shifter guide! Confused

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Not like its a 70 Beetle with 7500 miles on it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

It might be worth 1 of the 4000 asked for.
Or, wait... no I don't think it is.
I was just feeling foolish for a second.
How about 500 ?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Eff that... I'm an air-cooled vw mechanic by trade. Don't buy that unless you like expensive projects? It miiiight be worth 3kish if the compression is good and there are no major oil leaks and the trans is actually good. But, I'd have a comfortable extra $5k on hand for general repairs/maintenance--brakes, suspension, tires, full tune up, etc. Even after all that, aircooled Vanagons are woefully underpowered and overworked. Short lived motors if you don't baby them/remain careful with temps/maintenance.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Why is the seller a girl and in one picture is a dude?

And what's with the collapsible tow bar? Was it dragged behind a mobile home. Or just so unreliable they just needed it too many times.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

I love AR. I spent years there in the summer as a kid.

But if you want a bus expand your range beyond the Ozarks. A few days travel gets you to this van that’s worlds apart:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/1989-vw-vanagon-caravelle/6592648828.html

The AR van that has to go should sell for much less. Plus, the ad looks king of skammy.

And yes, do it, eventually.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Vanagons are fun!

Vanagons easily start conversations with strangers.

Vanagons are a practical classic car for you can use them in real life situations, vacations, picking stuff up, moving, etc.

Vanagons aren't known to be fast, especially the 2.0 air cooled units, though they are faster than the 1.6 diesels.

Vanagons are known to be fairly expensive to put "right".

Glenn is correct that you WILL need a fair quantity of cash on hand if you desire to make the unit look good or be a dependable ride. Though I don't think that he has first hand experience, just years of watching others.

Air Cooled units do not command big money, especially ones in need of work like this one. This fact works in your favor.

IF the engine is good... the body does seem to be good....... the interior is trash. Is it Worth $4,000 ?

No.

Not to me, not to most people.
The rust free body has value, quite a bit of value but it ends there unless you know the engine is good.

If you buy it, no matter the price, know that there will be a lot of support and help directed your way by us during the years and thousands of dollars you spend setting it right.

When you are finished you will have a really nice Vanagon that you've sunk $10,000 or more into ............ and it will be worth half that amount.

If it were a poptop camper the numbers would be a lot more in your favor, but an Air Cooled tin top?

No.

My 2cents anyway.......
Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

Numbers schmumbers.

Money comes and money goes. If you keep reasonable control over that process so that money you are choosing to have go is money you are ok with going, do whatever you want with it.

Is your attitude to buy something to have fun with?

Go take the van for a drive and make up your own mind.

I will agree that if you're looking at it is an investment, you won't come out "ahead." But, I'm guessing that's not really the point.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: thinking about it... Reply with quote

My daily is a converted air cooler. I bought it and I converted it and I wont be owning another aircooler unless its a bug. Too many issues and not enough power in the end. Im a scorned ex-lover of an aircooler.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: