Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electric problem: weird wiring
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW-Gasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: electric problem: weird wiring Reply with quote

Hi,
I try to make sense of the wiring of my 1969 Ghia coupe. if I understand this diagram right I should have a turn signal/emergency flasher relay (J1) and an emergency flasher switch (J6) seperated, whereas the switch has three wires attached to it. That is not the case with my switch. My switch looks like the relay and the switch are one piece. It looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now if that is my J1, what relay is this one?

relay # 211953215C. Is that the relay just for the turn signal, without the emergency flasher?
If yes, does anyone have the updated wiring diagram?
Best
Karsten

ghiaghia67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Flasher emergency unit Reply with quote

This is your flasher/ emergency unit and it is J1. I just rewired my 67 convert and it has the same unit and it runs my turn signals and my emergency.

Blue-green wire: #KBL flasher unit to arrow light on speedometer.

Black-white-green wire: from turn signal switch to #49a on flasher unit. Blue wire to #k on emergency switch.

Short black wire: #15 of flasher unit to fusebox of terminal on far right looking at the fuse box on the drivers side closes to the gas tank.

Short red wire #30 on the flasher unit to fuse terminal on the far left side looking at the fuse box on the pass side again on the side closes to the gas tank.

Long brown wire: #S of the flasher units to #S emergency switch.

VR from the flasher unit is your right turn signal goes to wire black- green has a T that goes to your front and rear right turn signal

VL from the flasher unit is your left turn signal goes to wire black-white also has a T that goes to your front and rear left turn signal.

I used the same wiring diagram that you posted.

Hope this helps. John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: electric problem Reply with quote

J6 is indeed the flasher switch and should have wires as per diagram. The second relay you show is either the headlight relay or horn relay. I would guess headlight relay as it shows a yellow wire going to it.
VW-Gasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: electric problem Reply with quote

ovghiaguy wrote:
J6 is indeed the flasher switch and should have wires as per diagram. The second relay you show is either the headlight relay or horn relay. I would guess headlight relay as it shows a yellow wire going to it.

No, it is not the dimmer relay (J), I found that one. It very much looks like, that the relay in picture two is somehow related to the turn signal. But I am not sure how to wire it.
Also picture 1 shows the backside of the emergency light switch in my dashboard. There is no other switch for the Emergency light!
VW-Gasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher emergency unit Reply with quote

OK it looks more and more like the emergency flasher and the turnsignal relay are split in two.

Here are the connections that the relay in picture two has:
#KBL flasher unit to arrow light on speedometer.
31: two brown ground cables. one comes from the wiper switch and I assume that it is the connection that I found between wiper switch and the turn signal lever (labeled 31 0.5 BR in the wiring diagram). The other one goes straight to a connector on the body of the car.
49: white (or gray) wire to the emergency switch
49a: blue wire also going to the emergency switch, but that one has a tab in between that needs to connect to something. I have no idea what I need to connect to that one. Help really appreciated!

Thanks
VW-Gasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in a German KG forum pointed out to me that it looks like I have a mixture of 1969 and 1970 wiring. Looks like the PO rewired the turnsignal with 1970 components. Looking at the 70 diagram it starts to make sense now!
Thanks for the help!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same items you show in your photos 1 and 2 and can't make sense of any of the wiring diagrams I have been able to find. I have 2 questions which I hope you don't mind answering:

1: Did you complete your wiring using the two items you show on those 2 photos?

2: Would you mind showing how you wired them?

My problem is that the wiring diagram shows only 2 connections going to the emergency flasher switch (on the dash board) while the switch I have has 7 pins - juts like yours.
rotorhed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time with the hazard flashers/turn signals on my '69 a while back. Turns out (on my car and several other '69 KG I am aware of) the wiring diagram that corresponds to 1969 KG is wrong for this part of the car.
If you look at the diagram for the 1970 year all should begin to make sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotorhed wrote:
I had a hard time with the hazard flashers/turn signals on my '69 a while back. Turns out (on my car and several other '69 KG I am aware of) the wiring diagram that corresponds to 1969 KG is wrong for this part of the car.
If you look at the diagram for the 1970 year all should begin to make sense.

Thanks, I tried the other diagrams as suggested but none of them shows a 9-pin relay together with a 7-pin emergency flasher switch.
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add something to this as I recently finished rewiring a 69. There are three diagrams for the 69-70. All three are on the diagrams page here on this forum. The 69 with the 9 pin relay is the only one that has the round turn signal in the image. The other two, while they have the image for the 1970 plus turn signals, work perfect for the 69 also. There is a way to figure out which one you have: If your emergency flasher is only a on/off switch with two wires in and out then your signal system has the really expensive blue 9 pin relay. If your emergency flasher has the 7 wires to it then your turn signal relay uses 4 connections and those diagrams for the 70 work perfect.

Side note.. you can tell which of the 70 diagrams are yours by matching the diagram with your wiring's large RED wires. Some have the solid RED and some have the RED and WHITE stripes...This drove me nuts for long time

good luck
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, I hope I saved this relay. I think I did and just cut the wires leaving a couple inches on the switches so I could figure out what went where on the replacements.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: