Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote

Mine has been registered as a 73 Beetle. And thats what it will be for the rest of its life. And mine too. I am adamant about this. Everyone else in the same situation should be too. I do pay taxes. Too many and too much. But I pay them. I don't like it. No one in their right mind would. But, Once again, If you think paying times 10 on any piece of property from one year to the next is fair, then you need to have your head examined. Or consider killing yourself. Then we will not EVER have this discussion again.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Huh? Reply with quote

buggy2430 wrote:
Mine has been registered as a 73 Beetle. And thats what it will be for the rest of its life. And mine too. I am adamant about this. Everyone else in the same situation should be too. I do pay taxes. Too many and too much. But I pay them. I don't like it. No one in their right mind would. But, Once again, If you think paying times 10 on any piece of property from one year to the next is fair, then you need to have your head examined. Or consider killing yourself. Then we will not EVER have this discussion again.

You are the only who has to sleep with your decision. I sleep very well with mine.

Quote:
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Sheldon

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: My Offer still stands Reply with quote

Give me a call 828-994-7508 You know Tammy and I are sane.
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to take a corvette body off the frame and replaced it with another body(any fiberglass body style). Is it stil a Corvette? Smile Question l
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
BriceRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: TX Motor Vehicle Title Manual Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem last year in San Antonio.

While I was looking into what is needed to be done I found this
Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual 451.

Go to page 372 under example 3 & page 375

https://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/vtr/title_manual_book_451.pdf

It specifically states how to register a Meyers Manx. This is from April 2013. I hope this helps. I plan on taking this with me whenever I get my project finished. There's a lot of information in there.
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas seems more of a hassle than PA is. While they address how to retitle a Body Change, the PDF Title Manual BriceRG posted covers VW's from 1956 to 1969, but mine is a 1970 chassis. Still leaves lots of grey areas.

Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
stancoffey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Crap Reply with quote

ITS JUST MORE BIG BROTHER POLITICS any thing to step on you !!! Evil or Very Mad
( . Y . )
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to the owner of Texas Rail Frames. Maybe he is a member here, I dunno...? He told me the year of the motor (any VW motor) is the year the vehicle becomes when built. This sure is a sucky situation for a person that wants to build up a street buggy using mostly aftermarket parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole ordeal was my fault since I started to seriously consider building a buggy.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Texas builders need to pass around a 36HP engine ('56-'60 model year) for initial registration purposes. After inspected and titled they can sell the engine to the next builder.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
So the Texas builders need to pass around a 36HP engine ('56-'60 model year) for initial registration purposes. After inspected and titled they can sell the engine to the next builder.

Great Idea! The good folks at the Texas DMV would never think to read car enthusiast forums to scour for that tidbit of an idea now, would they? Shocked

The idea sucks for builders utilizing aftermarket crankcases -

bnc
Bob Elgin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, looks like i better not get in a wreck, My insurance man has seen my buggy. its gunna suck if what you are saying, happens. Sad
My Build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5987690#5987690
My Youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqd2r1Af7uZgqlnxAtMap4A
MILO63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that you may be in for a rude awakening from your insurance carrier if you have a wreck/claim, and they deny coverage because your buggy is not a '19XX VW Beetle' - I've seen it happen 3 times already to other buggy owners.

I make sure my insurance carrier writes a declaration that says "Dune Buggy". I believe I am ok that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fullup12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had to go to the DMV today to renew tags on our DDs. I asked her to take the title for the dune buggy which had not been transferred to our name and does not specify it as a dune buggy to find out what we needed to do to transfer it legally. She asked the guy what we needed to do and told him it was a dune buggy. He told her it was no problem and issued a new title and antique plate. The plate looks the same as any other antique Texas plate and the paperwork shows the year and make as 1971 VW and body style is MV. We live in a small town so I know all DMVs won't be as helpful.
BuggyFaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from New Mexico back to Texas a little over year ago. I brought my unfinished Street Buggy with me, and although I am not at a point where I am ready to title it here in Texas. I am worried about getting it done. I have a New Mexico title in my name that says it is a 1974 VW DB, and the VIN is a little tricky. I do have a couple of advantages..... I live in a small town and DMV ladies are always helpful. If that does not work I still have a way to title it in NM as my daughter lives in a apartment in my name, and we still have some family land that my brother still on. It will be interesting to see what happens....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a phone call this afternoon from the title office in Austin.

Keep and eye for a new TxDot manual for assembled and rebuilt vehicles.....but it is big time bad news of sand rails and a little bad news for Pre Fabricated body dune buggies....There is a new top dog in the title office in Austin

Was told the new manual will be on the website and linked from the title manual as soon as it is completed....real soon
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: This is from the Texas Motor Vehicle Title manual 01/2014 Reply with quote

25.11 Body Change
Body changes involving 1955 and older model vehicles (except 1949 and later model Ford
products) are handled as follows:
Body Change
Motor Vehicle Title Manual 25-10 TxDMV January 2014
Application for Corrected Title
An application for corrected title must be filed to record a “Body Change.” The method of
filing the application is the same as Title Correction.
The application for corrected title should show the same make, year model, and body style
as on the evidence of ownership covering the 1955 or older body installed. The motor
number, as shown on the applicant's certificate of title covering the vehicle upon which the
new body was installed, should be shown as the identifying number.
The following must support the application for corrected title:
1. A properly assigned certificate of title marked “body only” or other negotiable
evidence of ownership to the 1955 or older body installed. If sold on a bill of sale, the
title number and description of the vehicle from which the “body only” was removed
should be shown on the bill of sale and the vehicle title should be surrendered to this
department for cancellation.
2. A properly assigned certificate of title or title in the applicant's name covering the
1955 or older model vehicle upon which the 1955 or older model body was installed.
3. Photograph of vehicle.
4. Pencil tracing of the number on the body, which was installed.
5. Certified weight certificate.
6. Copy of the current registration receipt covering the vehicle upon which the new body
was installed.
7. A Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61.
8. Valid proof of financial responsibility, covering the described vehicle, in the
applicant's name.
Note: A “Reconstructed” brand is added to the motor vehicle record and prints on
the Certificate Of Title and all subsequent titles.
Body Changes
A body change involving the installation of a body from a 1956 or later model vehicle or a
1949 or later model Ford product may not be handled as a “body change” (all 1956
through 1969 Volkswagen Beetles excluded.). A certificate of title is required to transfer
the body of such a vehicle; and the description on the title represents the complete and
legal description of the vehicle, as it appears when such body is installed on another
chassis. Consequently, no descriptive change occurs when such a body is installed on
another chassis; therefore, the transaction processes as a chassis change.
Application for Title Recording a Chassis Change
An application for title should be filed to record a “chassis change”. The application must
show the same make, year model, body style, and VIN as shown on the title covering the
body or unitized body and frame combination. The following evidence must support the
application:
Body Change
Motor Vehicle Title Manual 25-11 TxDMV January 2014
• A properly assigned certificate of title covering the body.
• Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61.
• A statement of fact substantiating the fact that the applicant owned the chassis on
which the new body was installed and the description of the vehicle from which the
chassis was retained and the title number under which the vehicle was titled. If the
body from which the chassis was retained has been junked or destroyed by the
applicant, the title covering such vehicle should be marked “body junked - retained
chassis only” and attached to the title transaction for cancellation.
• Pencil tracing of the frame number and new body number.
• Certified weight certificate.
• Copy of the current registration receipt covering the body for which the applicant is
applying for certificate of title.
• Valid proof of financial responsibility, covering the described vehicle, in the
applicant's name.
Note: A “Reconstructed” brand appears in the motor vehicle record and prints on
the Certificate Of Title and all subsequent titles.
Note: If the title covering a body only has been surrendered to the department and
the body only is transferred on a bill of sale, the above procedure may not be
used and the rebuilt procedure must be followed.
Body Changes Volkswagen Beetle
When a body change occurs on a 1956 through 1969 model Volkswagen Beetle and the
certificate of title covering the Volkswagen floorpan and chassis, including motor, is in
the applicant's name or assigned to him, the following procedure may be used:
Application for Corrected Title
An application for corrected title must be filed showing the make, year model, and body
style of the body which was installed and the VIN, which appears on the Volkswagen
floorpan must be shown on the application.
If the make is not designated on the evidence of ownership covering the body, such as
occurs with some prefabricated bodies, the make must be shown on the application as
Assembled; and the body style as 2D (2D Sedan), 4D (4D Sedan), RD (Roadster), etc. If
the make is shown as Assembled or if the year model is not designated on the evidence
covering the body, the year model must be shown as the year in which the body was
installed.
The following evidence must support the application:
• A properly assigned title or a title in the applicant's name covering the Volkswagen
floorpan and chassis, including motor.
• Bill of sale, title, invoice, or other negotiable evidence marked “body only” covering
the installed body; and such evidence must include the body number from the body.
• Pencil tracing of the new body number and the Volkswagen floorpan number.
• Photograph of vehicle.
Rebuilt Vehicle
Motor Vehicle Title Manual 25-12 TxDMV January 2014
• A completed Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61.
• Copy of current registration.
• Certified weight certificate.
• Valid proof of financial responsibility, covering the described vehicle, in the
applicant's name.
Note: A “Reconstructed” brand is added to the motor vehicle record and prints on
the Title and all subsequent titles.
Example 1
A 1954 Chevrolet two door sedan body was installed on a 1953 Chevrolet frame and
motor. The make, year model, and body style are obtained from the evidence of ownership
covering the 1954 body; and the motor number is the same as shown on the title covering
the 1953 Chevrolet frame and motor.
Example 2
A 1957 Chevrolet four door body was installed on a 1956 Chevrolet chassis frame and
motor. The make, year model, body style, and VIN are the same as shown on the title
covering the body.
Example 3
A 1970 Meyers Manx prefabricated body was installed on a 1965 Volkswagen floorpan,
chassis, and motor. The make, year model, and body style are obtained from the evidence
of ownership covering the body and the VIN is the same as shown on the Volkswagen
floorpan. In the event a make designation is not shown on the evidence of ownership
covering the body, the “Make” must be “Assembled”, and the “Year Model” must be the
year in which the body was installed.

Last edited by Yaleiza07 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yaleiza07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i understood from this:

As long as you have your VW Title under your name and you have all the legal documents in hand (bill of sale of the motor and body id saying the actual year) insurance sometimes will not be an issue if you have more than one policy with them. i got the feeling that if you do all the steps to build a Fiberglass Dune Buggy the right way will be no issue to have the title under this criteria. Only thing that will bother here is that if we don't have an actual document saying that your fiberglass body was manufactured or an identification of authenticity say a tag of at least what year was made then it will go with the year that was assembled.That will be an issue for the inspection criteria for a 40 year Manufactured VW components so this will need to be address in a more formal matter and the insurance will be useless. Hope this helps or if someone can add more since this is my humble opinion.
Eaglerider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to pursue this a little more since I just finished my roller, but the April 2014 version of the Texas Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicles Manual kills off the dune buggy in Texas. click the link and choose Assembled Vehicles Manual then look at section 2.5.

http://txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/publications-rep...-reference
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some lawyer has/had a hard-on for Dune Buggy's. That truly sucks and I am sorry for your blight.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just got redirected here for some info on texas bonded titles. I realize these aren't rails, but it's a similar problem ( I have a 1960 rail i would like to get registered, It still has the old vin....but i guess that wont happen) I'm trying to apply for a bonded title in the state of texas for a couple vw's of mine, and i need to know what exactly to make the form out to. On the form (VTR-130). they are 1959 bugs, but do i put beetle or type 1 for the model? How about body style deluxe...standard? sedan? This is practically all that is holding me up. oh and while y'all are at it, how about a 62 Ghia?

Just to be clear, one 59 is a deluxe one is a ragtop standard and the ghia is, well a ghia

Thanks
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: