Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more NEW Registrations in Texas?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: My Point Reply with quote

Lets say you have a 73 junker. Its not worth a shit. Then the state determines its worth $3000.00 What do you do?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Point Reply with quote

buggy2430 wrote:
Lets say you have a 73 junker. Its not worth a shit. Then the state determines its worth $3000.00 What do you do?

I would get an independent appraisal and submit that to both the state and my insurance company. But, my state only cares about value when you purchase or sell a vehicle.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
n5ztw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Texas now has "Street Rod" plates classification Reply with quote

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates/specialty-license-plates

Scroll down to "Street Rod" new since 2012 and only 14 have been issued as of 24 July 2013. This is the way it's done now for buggys / Bradleys and such. TXDOT must have poor communications so the folks you have been dealing with are just not up to speed on the new policies/plates.
Bill
n5ztw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Texas also has "Custom Vehicle" plates Reply with quote

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates/specialty-license-plates

Scroll down to "Custom Vehicle" This is also an option. I noticed they use the same application form. I guess the owner decides which option they want to display. Either way you can still get your buggy on the road in Texas.
Bill
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I will appeal Reply with quote

buggy2430 wrote:
No way I will pay a tax 10 times what it was last year. Any FOOL knows that ain't right. And it ain't!!! Maybe I will rile some by refusing to pay this Oppressive Tax but I DON"T CARE!!! Enough said. I don't want trouble here on this site or anywhere else. I am challenging this asessment and I might just win. I will keep you all informed.
Well I told y'all I would update on the oppressive tax. I went down there today and just asked a NICE lady why my old VW went from 300 to 3000 in value in just one year. She didn't really answer me. She asked if I had filled out an "ANTIQUE FORM" and I said no. No more questions at all. I can change it back, she said. I said DO IT!! The tax went down to 3.00 and 300.00 dollar value with little effort. The whole process took maybe 5 minutes. I truly hope that doesn't make it HARD on the rest of you buggy owners.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, wanna sell me your buggy for that $ 300.00 value it has?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Oh Come On Joe Reply with quote

You know what I mean. And You know whats right.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when some bonehead crashes into your buggy, you are gonna be happy when the insurance totals it and hands over a $300 check? Sure.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
So, when some bonehead crashes into your buggy, you are gonna be happy when the insurance totals it and hands over a $300 check? Sure.

Bingo!

Just because the appraisal on a buggy goes from $ 300 to $ 3000 in one year, (when that is much closer to the actual value of the buggy) it does not make it wrong. It makes it stupid on the tax assessor's part for not doing their job over the years gone by.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: No Reply with quote

I'm not actually planning on an accident, but they do happen. Until then, I will take my chances. We shall see. We've had the SKAT KAT going on 13 years. Only one mishap. Last year my moms neighbor backed into "OLD RED". A 10 inch crack appeared. I fixed it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buggy was rear-ended after only about 2 months on the road. Insurance wanted to total it because they could not find a value for it in any book. I had an independent appraisal done on the car, submitted it to them and had a check in hand for full repair cost within a week. I would expect in your case they will be happy to use the value you just fought so hard to give to your taxing authority.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Buggy Value Reply with quote

I can see all you guys points. How do you put a value on a fiberglass buggy? Or in my case is probably unique? I'm just happy to get this ridiculous tax reduced. As far as the value of mine... It would take $10 grand to get it. But thats just me and the sentimental value. Actual value is much less as we all know. The point I was making to go from $300 to $3000 in one year is ridiculous. And it is.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The point I was making to go from $300 to $3000 in one year is ridiculous. And it is.

Agreed.

It should have been $ 3000 years ago.

In WV, I have read a bill that would require every home owner to have home insurrance so the tax department can use your insurrance value to set your tax appraisal value. Glad it failed in the House.

buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Maybe it Should Reply with quote

But it didn't . I just paid $2000 in taxes on my house. But thats another story. Maybe they should have LOOKED at my buggy and appraised it 13 years ago when I got it. I bought it from an estate: No sales tax. Maybe I should say: Look, I have a dune buggy and you might want to value this higher than what you did. Or I did what 99% of what buggy owners did or would have done if they could have. You know this to be true.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now I'm the 1% ?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
So, now I'm the 1% ?

It is lonley at the top, but I'm in there with ya!

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using a "antique vehicle" type plate? In Washington state those type of special plates (collector vehicle, horseless carriage, and year of manufacturer plates) are permanent registration. I thought that was pretty common in other states. With no annual tabs there is no "state value" to worry about being used against you. (Plus, it is nice to not have to pay for annual tabs on my '64 buggy or my wife's '79 SBC.)
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Comical Reply with quote

If anyone remembers, Diget 69 said the state was desperate for revenue. This whole thing is about city and county revenue. Sorry didget. You lose again.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
How about using a "antique vehicle" type plate? In Washington state those type of special plates (collector vehicle, horseless carriage, and year of manufacturer plates) are permanent registration. I thought that was pretty common in other states. With no annual tabs there is no "state value" to worry about being used against you. (Plus, it is nice to not have to pay for annual tabs on my '64 buggy or my wife's '79 SBC.)

My tax man told me if I register my cars as antique or classic (two separate registrations that are only good for 2 years max), the vehicle will be looked at closely for proper value.

If you register the vehicle as a regular use motor vehicle, the tax man pays less attention, but then the vehicle has to go through yearly state inspection and much higher insurance rates from your carrier.

It is almost like a loose/loose situation.

This is for West Virginia only, other states vary. And yes, it IS all about the money.

As a side bar note, I found out today that the State of WV has loosened up the rules for getting a rail street legal. No wipers needed, no defroster needed, and if you wear a helment and eye protection, no windscreen needed. Speedo, rear fenders, full lights, 4 wheel brakes and belts are required.

Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know ALL states are desperate for revenue. Citizens keep askng for more and more services, then whine and complain when their elected officials hand them the bill.

My buggy is insured as a buggy. You gotta pay to play.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: