Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the camera has to be next....just has to be....

so the best so far was running the right fan on low all the time.

so I tried a air foil on the torsion tube, facing rearwards. my lid still popped up.

so then I ran the left on low as a puller, and the right on low as a pusher thinking that it would go in one ear and out the other (ba da cha!) not working that way.

so, I guess the next step will be the camera and tape more ribbon to the fan shrouds, rip everything off and start over.

I am almost at 200 miles now. I just feel that it's staring me in the face.

another thought I had was even though I pinned open the thermostat, at higher rpm's I wonder if the water pump begins to cavitate due to too much flow. I am wondering if I should try to put a restriction in the system to slow down the water going through the rads.

*sigh* I was hoping to buy some of jake rabys time, more for a sanity check. really wishing the T4 peckerheads didn't make jake so bitter...

so, I will find my camera, and see what I can find. the next step is to take my donor engine lid and cut a hole behind the plate, and mount the plate on stand offs...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
babysnakes~ interesting concept. right now they are puller fans

Would it be as simple as reversing polarity ( reverse the two wires) on the fans to make them pushers? Quick and easy test.

That likely wouldn't work, the blades would be tilted in the wrong direction.

If a fan rotates in one direction it pulls, if it rotates in the other direction it pushes. As for the profile of the blade, yes one side is normally more efficient than the other. As for testing a hypothesis it may work just fine without having to purchase fans of a different profile. Blade tilt not the issue.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Keith wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
babysnakes~ interesting concept. right now they are puller fans

Would it be as simple as reversing polarity ( reverse the two wires) on the fans to make them pushers? Quick and easy test.

That likely wouldn't work, the blades would be tilted in the wrong direction.

If a fan rotates in one direction it pulls, if it rotates in the other direction it pushes. As for the profile of the blade, yes one side is normally more efficient than the other. As for testing a hypothesis it may work just fine without having to purchase fans of a different profile. Blade tilt not the issue.

Which is why I said "likely wouldn't work". I have an old push/pull window fan and it works great for pushing but not so much for pulling. Same with a few ceiling fans I've had. I have also messed around with other fans that way and more often than not there is a definite direction that is more efficient. It will work it just might not work as well.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I will eat shit with a very small spoon Evil or Very Mad

I have been defeated. after looking over a late bay, the vents are huge, the engine bay is a bit bigger and you late bay swappers win

after talking with mild-core, he has the exact same issues I have. it's like 77* here today, and I just cant keep the temps down on the highway. I am guessing at 70+, the turbulence under the bus is making a wall that won't let the air flow into the engine bay.

this isn't a problem with the aircooled engines, as there is a fan sucking it in and blowing it out the bottom when the engine bay is properly sealed.

I have tried:

no apron/bumper

a ton of sled tin/deflector combo's

removing some of my radiator seal plates

I am just throwing in the towel. my plan is to go under the bus. I have yet to put my heat tube in anyway.

I may try 1 last ditch effort of putting the radiators in parallel, not series.

blah....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a plastic deflector to guide more air into the scoops to test that theory?

did you try creating a vacuum under the engine to promote airflow yet? maybe i missed that one?

got any extra fans? can you put second fans on the radiators, total of 4 fans? or a second on just one (2nd rad) for a total of 3 fans?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may sound stupid but it actually worked for me in a Dodge Intrepid that was overheating like a bitch on a trip to North Carolina in the summer. Go get some of the special coolant that specifically states it will lower engine coolant temps by up to 50 degrees. It was called "Engine Ice", I was given it by a friend of a friend when we couldn't figure out an overheating issue. Worked like a charm ! If I didn't see it actually work I would have always thought that shit was snake oil. He uses it in his circle track car.

Oh and the overheating issue? The main rad fan wiring was melted.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parallel rads may be worth a try, twice the flow and 1/2 the speed. How does the flow work now?, one top to bottom and the other bottom to top?
There was someone recently posting about some clear plastic deflectors that went on the cooling scoops and added a couple inches to them, can't find it right now but some tape and cardboard would do for an experiment.
What coolant mix are you using?, straight antifreeze runs hot, it has to be mixed with water.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up on it yet. I can't see the openings for an earlier type 1 bus making that much of a difference with air flow.

Have you tried contacting subarugears? They put a 6 cylinder suby in a bay and in the heat of Australia.

I have pictures of the belly mount rad in my signature line build thread. Nothing sexy. Plan was to get it working then pretty it up.

The fans cycle on about every 15 minutes or so on the highway if I keep the speed down to 55-60 mph. Once I get up to 70-75 they are on almost constantly and hold the temps to 210-215 on the hottest days. I just got back from a 2000 km trip to Maine from Ottawa with my wife and kids and the little motor pulled like a champ through the white mountains. Only had to gear down to third twice.

Craig.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys....

I am running straight water at the moment.

*sigh* well, you can't say I didn't try...and the bitch is, I really like the way it looks

stuart, no room for any more fans. I can't see having fans that run at highway speed, it's just unacceptable.

I may try 1 last thing, and that will be a restrictor to slow down the flow in the rads. after that, she is moving under the bus...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys....

I am running straight water at the moment.

*sigh* well, you can't say I didn't try...and the bitch is, I really like the way it looks

stuart, no room for any more fans. I can't see having fans that run at highway speed, it's just unacceptable.

I may try 1 last thing, and that will be a restrictor to slow down the flow in the rads. after that, she is moving under the bus...

straight water does not cool as efficiently as a coolant/water mix....maybe right before attempting the move of the radiators, swap in about a 50/50 mix? also increases lubrication to the water pump, slows the flow down because its thicker, and im pretty sure helps heat transfer...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the plastic "earz" folks are referring too

http://www.justkampers.com.au/search/result/?q=Earz

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought straight water cooled better. Adding anti freeze does just that and keeps it from freezing in the winter. Adding the water wetters supposedly to just water help it cool better. I added to the 50/50 coolant water mix in my coolant system and didn't notice any difference. There is supposedly a product called Evans I believe that is a waterless coolant that works well.

I think adding the ears will look goofy but you might as well try them to see if it makes a difference.
Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just caution on giving up too quick... Yea I'm sure you've tried a lot of things, but give it some time and keep playing with it. Don't jump ship as soon as it gets rough. I think it can be made to work, but it might not be a very straight forward solution.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though pure water transfers heat better than antifreeze, antifreeze makes the coolant more stable at temperature, also acts as a lubricant and raises the boiling point of water.

Last edited by Keith on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

straight water does not cool as efficiently as a coolant/water mix...

um, no disrespect, but straight water is the best for cooling. I gained 15* by a 10% mix

I know the plastic ears you guys speak of. I spoke in length with mild-core yesterday on the phone. we both have early bays with the same issues.

I have come too far to settle for some piece of shit that can't cool itself at 75, on a 77* day.

my engine bay is all painted nice-nice anyway, other than a few holes, who cares?

guys, I am not kidding when I say I have spent all of Friday, all of Saturday and all of today 'trying' different things. my results were marginal at best, on a pretty mild day.

to go any further in my opinion would be wasting time. I have been up for days dreaming up things to try. look at some of my post times...my day starts at 6, and has been ending at midnight plus....

I have already started to make the pipes for the belly radiator. my plan is to use both of the rabbit ones I have now, left and right (which will straddle the missing heater tube)

I am going to try them again in series and see what happens. I think it will work well (just like I thought the current setup would work)

the radiators will be up against the rearmost cross member which will act like a dam. air will be forced through the front, and have no choice but to blow through the cores. I can seal between the frame and the floor real easy.

so, unless someone comes up with something for me, it looks like I am done with the engine bay fans.

or, I could buy just 1 more rabbit radiator, and hook that into the loop.

thoughts?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

......what are the primary hoses you're using for the engine to radiator connections?

X2, what hoses?

rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm sorry to hear it's heating up

I wonder, what would happen if you blocked the intake ears entirely? Clearly they're not helping. Are the rads sealed completely to the intake ...plenum?

Probably wouldn't help, it's just odd your having this pressurization problem, but for sure it's airflow related.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no disrespect taken, im totally okay with being wrong. i am only speaking from the small knowledge i have. Smile no hard feelings! Very Happy

any chance a thicker radiator would make a different? instead of a single pass do a dual, or triple pass radiator?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, didn't see it mentioned, do you have a way of checking that both radiators are full/bled of air? Also, maybe since the radiators are plumbed in series, one is working harder than the other, maybe set them up in parallel? Maybe just one radiator would be enough? Shame to waste that beautiful work on that engine bay. Be nice to see this figured out, best of luck.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrug*

as far as I can tell, the rads are full of water (that's using a infrared thermometer)

although I have made the pipes to run them under the bus, I have thought it over, and will try 1 more rabbit radiator under the bus. I have a used one that was in good shape, so other than making some T's, it will be a pretty quick last ditch effort.

I was looking at some Porsche cooling systems, and they use a left, center, right setup as well.

I am convinced it is airflow issues because its fine around town, and gets worse the faster I go.

this is a last ditch effort before it all goes under the bus. I will report back later on how #3 works

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 33

Jump to: