Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

the issues I had with the in bay radiators were several. I think my 2.5 hi comp cammed engine may be a part of the problem. but boy, does she haul ass.

I've go to wonder if all of the issues you are having will be completely surpassed by those of us who plan to use stock 2.2 or 2.5 power plants. Not to say that more power wouldn't be a ton-o-fun, but a stock 2.2 is in my future plans and I would love to use the engine bay rads in my 70 camper.

I would rethink it. mild core is pretty much in the same boat. the thing to do is try. I am not cutting holes in the bus. I tried on a scrap decklid.

the rocco rads are single pass. I think if/when you decide to try, you may be in the same boat.

I logged data through a pretty expensive Launch x431. this gave me ECT via the ECU. when the temp gauge is getting up there and you are seeing the ECT that the ECU is registering hit 230* your ass will pucker too

I may try it again, but if I do it will be with double row aluminum radiators.

and guys, I am telling you, cabin temps with in-bay radiators was insane...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all of the forums, threads and videos, etc I have ever read about Subaru swaps with engine bay radiators, you are the ONLY one to even mention anything related to cabin temperatures at all. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just think that the fact that you were feeling the heat way inside the bus just shows you that you weren't getting proper airflow to allow the heat to escape the engine bay.

And again, us late bay guys don't really seem to have the airflow issues you early guys have.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Mild-Core
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged data through a pretty expensive Launch x431. this gave me ECT via the ECU. when the temp gauge is getting up there and you are seeing the ECT that the ECU is registering hit 230* your ass will pucker too

I may try it again, but if I do it will be with double row aluminum radiators.

your ecu was reading 230 degrees? Dude i don't think i have ever really gone over 205 now that I know the bias of my temp gauge. My warning light is set to turn on at 225deg ecu temp and it has never lit up. i know it works because it is programmed to light up when I key on.

I never really noticed the cabin temp issue. A lot of the time I drive around in 90-100 degree weather so it's hot as shit anyway. I think some insulation back there is a good idea, I planned on doing that later on anyway for sound deadening.

I do hope you give it another try. I think you gave up too soon. Try the clear scoops! They help quite a bit and they're practically invisible!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

single pass radiatorr? i thought you had at least a dual pass....in fact im pretty sure i suggested that a while back. dual or triple pass radiators....

Rolling Eyes

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills I will measure the clearance this evening and get back to you.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi glad to hear you got the temps down. This product reportedly works well.

Link
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
single pass radiatorr? i thought you had at least a dual pass....in fact im pretty sure i suggested that a while back. dual or triple pass radiators....

Rolling Eyes

I have the same radiators your boy has.

If you guys don't hink I have done all I could, you're wrong. I spent my weeks vacation fooling with this, from 7am till usually midnight. I made deflectors,scoops tried different configurations...

Come on guys, you should know me better than that. I didn't just "give up"

The busaru guy in CO emailed my friend.....he is hitting 212 in C0....in 10 miles, WITH dual pass honda radiators. I have the email to prove it....

That said, I got to drive with my brother in law in his wrx last night. His car runs at 190* and fan trips at 208*

So think of this....if subaru commands the fans at 203 to 210 why the fuck would I be "ok" with running temps of 210+?

Not trying to sound like a dick. A lot of this is frustration for sure and the simple fact the most of you think I gave up is obsurd...I moved on.

None of you have any idea what I have tried or been through with this. I did speak to jake, awesome guy and out of respect for him I won't ever post what we talked about. But when he told me to optimize my under floor set up, that spoke volumes about the cost to get them to properly function in bay.....

Again, sorry if I come across as a dick, but c'mon guys....I tried and didn't like the results. Jake was kind enough to give me min/max temps which are in line with my brother in laws wrx.

If you can't pound your bus down the road under 200* you are pushing it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough. Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never, ever though that you just gave up. I am just glad that you shared all of your successes and failures with the crowd so we can all learn from them.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I never, ever though that you just gave up. I am just glad that you shared all of your successes and failures with the crowd so we can all learn from them.

And that's the whole point. I am not some chest pounding internet superhero, but the reality is last I knew jsmskaters bus blew up, mild core and I are having issues and the busaru fellow is as well.

I don't want to drive my bus for 6 minutes and let it cool. User "joel" warned me from the beginning. Joel, you were 100% correct

Had I knew the issues everyone was having, I never would have went in bay with the radiators.

That said, I now know that I can cruise at a honest gps'd 80mph with a ect of 197. If I wanted a 55mph bus I would have stayed aircooled.

I should be able to run so hard and fast the paint blisters off the nose and not worry about overheating. Stopping, well that could be an issue Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills,

I for one, appreciate your honest feedback/experience with the in compartment rads and don't doubt that you tried everything you could to make it work.

I have to say, while watching you finish your project I began to wonder if I should have gone the same route and started to think of moving the under belly rad up into the engine compartment. It looked clean, easier to access and certainly out of harms way especially when driving a lowered bus. Now that you say it doesn't work I believe you and will be leaving my rad where it is. I may move the fans to underneath the rad but I can attest to a ten day 2000kms trip that it worked for me. I averaged 70 -75 miiles an hour and flogged that little 1.8 motor like there was no tomorow.

By the way, I don't think it is possible for the paint to blow off. I've tried.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing anything about Subaru'd buses....

In a nutshell, why couldn't one just use a big ass radiator under the bus? Seems there's plenty of room...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I did, is go under floor.

here is 16 minutes of pure shaky cell phone video. I totally forgot to change my settings, so deal with it Laughing

Link

you can almost make out the scanner...ECT @ 177* it was a bit cooler here today, about 82 ish...

not a very good video, but I didn't want to be a distracted driver Cool

speedo reads 8 mph fast/ need to fix that

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet run in the bus. Definitely pulls harder than the 1.8 I have.

I measured the clearance under my rad and I have about 7 inches in the front and 8 in the back. Keep in mind my bus is lowered about 2.5 - 3 inches and I also have a good inch between the support frame and the rad itself. I did have it tucked slightly higher but found the rad wasn't getting enough airflow so lowered it by about 1.5 inches. I should have measured how low it was below frame rails so we could compare better.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey craig!

same here with the clearance, and I am running WW drop spindles. I could stand to go down an other click in the rear, as it has a slight rake to it. gives it that 70's 'vanner' vibe.

the 2.5 suabru 'frankenmotor' with cams has so much torque, it isn't funny. I run out of gear's before I run out of motor.

I think a subigears transmission will be in the future for sure. it literally has that much power. may as well use all of it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that thing hauls!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a subigears transmission will be in the future for sure. it literally has that much power. may as well use all of it

Will this lower cruising RPMs enough to affect cooling at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Damn, that thing hauls!

You have no idea Laughing

Yes, the subaru trans will help with cooling. The drop in rpm's will slow the water pump
which in turn will let the coolant stay in the radiator longer.

I found subarus like 3-3200k. I have learned more about cooing systems in the past 2 weeks than I ever though possible.....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different size water pump pulley?

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its timing belt driven. Besides, making it run a bit slower in the rpm department isn't a bad thing either

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 33

Jump to: