Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just shoot me.... 70 deluxe project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
1 goes for straight up comedy and beautiful craftsmanship.

thank you. I try to keep it light and fluffy Very Happy

so, as most of you know I don't give a flip about what people say/think about me or any of my work....or my failures.

so, the bus has been doing great. lots of driving, no issues...till I went to a show.

seems that painting ones coolant pipes super duper extra shiny was not the brightest idea Skillit had. seems that with heat cycles, pressure in the system and so on hoses tend to work loose. add to the fact that I didn't have any of my hose ends beaded and what you end up with is 2 gallons of water scattered all over the road in some shithole town in Connecticut....

lucky for me, my buddy noticed it right away. I had just been off the highway for about 5 mins or so and went to pull away from a light and BLARRFFFF....all over the road. lucky for me, I pulled over right next to a brook, and luckier yet, across the street from a shop who let me use a water bucket to fill the old girl up.

20 or so minutes later, back in business.

so, when I got home I ripped the system out again, beaded all the hose connections and finally put coolant in it. took it out for a good long ride and all seems to be well.

so, lesson learned: don't put 3 coats of clear on your coolant pipes, and don't run non beaded piping....ever!

every time I drive that thing its like

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I brought webwalker for a rip in it as well. I have not heard from him since. hope the boy is ok and has not been institutionalized Shocked

wvpieces got to drive it last week. all he said is "it's wrong...it's just wrong"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
every time I drive that thing its like

So you're saying you're pretty happy with it? Razz

Two hands on the wheel there Skills Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
1 goes for straight up comedy and beautiful craftsmanship.

thank you. I try to keep it light and fluffy Very Happy

I brought webwalker for a rip in it as well. I have not heard from him since. hope the boy is ok and has not been institutionalized Shocked

wvpieces got to drive it last week. all he said is "it's wrong...it's just wrong"

I didn't want to admit I almost piddled on your upholstery during that first pull. Shocked Lotta power. Looking forward to driving mine like a sedate priss.

(But what I saw of you design got be back off my dead duff and back out to the shop where I 'did the next thing.') Thanks for the ride, and the evening chat. Bumer about the show, but now I just have another excuse to come up again later!

M
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my under the glove box amp installed. also got the glove box with the false floor put in too

Genius.....
Not a Priest.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a real good change to pound the bus about 200 miles this weekend to test and hone in my cooling system.

Saturday was hot as hell, temps in the low 90's pavement temps between 130/148* from place to place. lucky for me, I 95 is about 10-15 minutes away so I just kept pounding the north to south, south to north "test drive" loop.

pushing HARD when traffic would allow, I was able to maintain an average speed on Saturday of about 77mph. that was with the frequent blast up to 80-85 mph when traffic would allow.

let me go on record and say this was for testing only. I feel my bus is pretty dialed in, but at 80/85 it is a real handful.

the result

pretty much averaged a 192* coolant temp, and no hotter than 195*....EVER!

still want to do some tweeks here and there but overall, very happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to follow up with Mr Kent's concerns, did you feel your transaxle to see how hot it got?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
So, to follow up with Mr Kent's concerns, did you feel your transaxle to see how hot it got?

Not sure this would apply to sgkent's comments because skills has a rebuilt tranny with a taller 3&4. Effectively making the transmission spin at 77mp the same a stock tranny would spin at 64 mph (not actual numbers, just example). Well, this what I think sgkent was saying.
Not a Priest.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

I laser gunned it once...cant remember what the temp was on the case, low 100's if I recall but not like "holy crap, that's at 250"

I am at 3,200 @75 mph which I think is less than a T4 (or T1 for that matter) at the same speeds. so as the bus priest point's out, I think I am less than the factory in that respect.

other than the cooing system disaster (the original in bay set up) and my "good enough" attitude which bit me on the coolant pipes by not bead rolling them and having them secured better the swap has had very little drama.

as I said before, I have no issues pointing out my failures/oversights the coolant pipe thing was a bunch of bullshit that I could have avoided had I spent another hour beading the ends.

all in all, I am very happy with it and just want to refine a few things. will it ever be "perfect" or accepted by others? who knows but boy, it's a shitload of fun!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratios:
1 3.80
2 2.06
3 1.14
4 .70
r&p 4.57

it suits my build pretty good. i am pretty happy with the gear spread, but again, i would like to do a 5 speed at some point.

tires are 215 50 17's in the rear and 205 can't remember 17's in the front

Are you still running the rebuilt 002 from Benco with the above ratios?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is correct

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having some fun with air flow...

not having any issues, just want to understand more of what's going on with airflow under a bus

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having some fun with air flow...

not having any issues, just want to understand more of what's going on with airflow under a bus

Water or Alcohol? Total or Static?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

water, and not sure that I understand the question, but I will say total, as static is just "even" or not doing anything. that is the air pressure at about 70mph.

for fun, I want to see if I can increase the pressure around the top side of the radiator.

no reason really, just because I want to futz around with it

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work and results. You must have been kicking yourself over not beading the cooling pipes. My build has been on hiatus, but it will start vamping up soon. Your results always encourage me.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
You must have been kicking yourself over not beading the cooling pipes..

that was the biggest asshole mistake I made. thanks for the compliment. those who know me know that I can't leave good enough alone. I like to truly understand how it works, so I just don't say "dunno, bro, it just works"

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:

that was the biggest asshole mistake I made. thanks for the compliment. those who know me know that I can't leave good enough alone. I like to truly understand how it works, so I just don't say "dunno, bro, it just works"

Does a "standard" bead roller work for pipes, or is it a specific tool? I have used a bead roller for some sheet aluminum years ago, but I'm not sure the dies would fit in the diameter of a coolant pipe.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
babysnakes wrote:

Does a "standard" bead roller work for pipes, or is it a specific tool? I have used a bead roller for some sheet aluminum years ago, but I'm not sure the dies would fit in the diameter of a coolant pipe.

If you could get the pipe over the roller then yes, but if the pipe is 6' long with many bends it'll be interesting to wrangle as it goes round and round.
I've got a Parker hand beader, works great and usually can be done with the pipe in place, but it only goes up to 1":

Something like this with the tapered bolt inside that pushes out the ball bearing may be available in larger sizes (or you could make one), no clearance issues there:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as usual, what busdaddy said Laughing

what I ended up doing is just welded a bead on.. so I ran a bead about 1/8 all around the pipes. this is one tool I wasn't just going to run out and buy...even though I went looking for one Shocked

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Something like this with the tapered bolt inside that pushes out the ball bearing may be available in larger sizes (or you could make one), no clearance issues there:

Wow. WHERE DO I BUY ONE?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matco tools, Aircraft spruce and specialty, Chief aircraft, US tool, try them all...

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 33

Jump to: