Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill take that motor i think...i wish i was closer...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

I wish you were closer too, then we could watch my bus overheat together Evil or Very Mad . Anyway, I wound up installing a vent window to replace the jalouise window I'm still planning on selling (figured out how to get it installed without help and it worked pretty well!).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Afterwards, I started the vehicle and let it run for a while. The fans come on at 160-ish degrees. A little after that (maybe 170*) I see a large drop in temp, which I'm assuming is the thermostat opening. So far so good! Unfortunately, the vehicle just keeps getting hotter and hotter. I shut it off at 220. The only thing that I've changed since before-- when it wasn't overheating-- are new heads and gaskets, a new aluminum radiator and the heater core is now plumbed. I think the heater core lines might be the issue, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that neither of the heater core lines have any change in temperature... and that can't be right!! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh... I guess I'm still fighting air pockets. I jacked the a$$ end of the bus up ran her for a minute or two and free'd a big ol pocket of air. I'm guessing they're coming from the heater core lines since they're such a long run-- I'm somewhere around 26-27 feet worth I estimate.

At least she sounds amazing when she's running. Super smooth... until I ran out of gas. Sigh. Gas can's empty too. Guess I'm done for the day.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im almost out of gas too...and no income right now makes it tough to go fill it up Sad

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test your theory, bypass the heatercore temporarily with a short loop, and get the system bled. If it still overheats, you have another issue. If not, you know for sure where the issue is.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And put a bleed valve at the high point of the heater system. If the heater loop is long and above the engine it will just continue to unprime the pump as long as there is air in the loop.

You might also have a small leak that is letting air in but not allowing coolant to escape. Maddening to find.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... Today I:
-- cut out the rear window and re-installed it with a new seal. The old one was dry, cracked and leaky.
--Finished installation of a new set of CV boots
--Re-installed the fuel filler neck to the gas tank as it was venting fumes. Why on earth couldn't VW line up the tube with the tank?! Silliness!!
--Tightened the hosebarb in the bottom of the tank as there was the tiniest bit of gasoline wetness down there.
--Re-bled the bus and ran it for 20 min or so.

This time... my temps never went above 205-210ish AND i FINALLY got hot water to flow up to the heater core!! YES!!! Seems my entire issue was a poorly bled system. I shut it off after 20 min and waited for the system to cool down so I could see if it needed any additional coolant. I had to pour in another 2 ounces or so. I'm still not fully confident I've gotten all the air out. I'll take her for a little drive on Monday (I work the next 3 days or I'd do it sooner) and check coolant levels and temps. The small-ish heater lines seem to be the issue as they trap too much air for the pump to overcome. It's a long run to the front of the bus. Next time I fill her up, I'm gonna need to install a bleeder valve up near the heater core to get that air out more efficiently.

I will say that The engine runs soooo well, and the TDI starter... OMG! It's almost not fair how well this thing starts and runs. Vids to come next week Very Happy

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooot and abooot, eh?

Coolant gauge stands steady at 190 while driving and will climb to 205 when sitting at a light for a while. Runs REALLY well!! Very Happy Very Happy

GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Next time I fill her up, I'm gonna need to install a bleeder valve up near the heater core to get that air out more efficiently.

Is the heater core the high point of the system? If so, perhaps you could locate the fill cap there.

Glad that it is running so well!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Is the heater core the high point of the system? If so, perhaps you could locate the fill cap there.

My heater's the high point in my system, and just a bleeder screw didn't cut it for me. I added a coolant reservoir with a cap and fill the system from there.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

Glad that it is running so well!

No. The top of the heater core is about 2" below the level of the front seat slider rails, and the radiator fill cap is flush with the bottom side of the engine compartment (I cut a hole in the body and fabricated a removable panel with gaskets to keep the crappy air out). Soooo.. it SHOULD bleed by gravity alone. And it does... it just takes a long time.

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway.. it was a good FUN day today!!! I put right around 100miles on the Bus with almost 0 issues Very Happy

It didn't start off so good. I made it all of 1/4 mile down the road from the house and ran out of gas..... silliness!! I walked back and forth, filled her up with a gas can and headed straight to the watering hole to top off the tank. Then I ran some errands, and since things were doing well... I started going north with no real destination in mind. I went as far as I could. Then I got stopped... by Lake Ontario Cool

I drove along the lake for a bit and then ran into this old lighthouse. I've been in and out of B-lo for years and I didn't know this existed! Yay BUS!!

I then turned south and found a graveyard from the 1880's. There's a similar bone-yard in Syracuse (built by Olmstead if I'm not mistaken) that I used to really enjoy riding my bike through. This was like a mini version of that one.

There's even a creepy old house and soldier graves from the civil war:

A little farther and I crossed the Erie Canal on a sweet one lane bridge

And stumbled onto a railroad museum with a gorgeous locomotive. Go New York!!! Whoooo-Wooooo!!!

The only issues I had to deal with the brakes (the flexy lines need replaced as the bus turns left a little when you really jam on the stop button) and a horrible intermittent gas smell. Bleh Confused I ran my finger across every fuel connection I could touch and they're all dry. This might take a bit of sherlock holmes-ing to find... and might require an access hatch to the treasure chest, cause ain't no way the engine's coming out again to get to the gas tank..........

Last edited by Nepenthe88 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh!
and I got stopped by a cop today too Confused

He strolls up and tells me his Sargeant took a pic of my bus as I was driving thru this bumblefuk little town, texted it to him and mentioned which way I was going... He tells me this and then pulls out his phone (holstered right next to his gun) and shows me a pic of HIS bus. Haha!

GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The top of the heater core is about 2" below the level of the front seat slider rails, and the radiator fill cap is flush with the bottom side of the engine compartment (I cut a hole in the body and fabricated a removable panel with gaskets to keep the crappy air out). Soooo.. it SHOULD bleed by gravity alone. And it does... it just takes a long time.

[/quote]

With that setup the hoses are below the level of the heater core so it will always trap an air bubble. The pump will move water toward the core, but as soon as the air finds the pump it loses its prime so without bleeding from the top of the heater core it takes several start/stop cycles to get rid of the air bubble.

Another solution I have seen is to run a tiny 1/8" vent line from the top of the heater core to the high point of the system that does not go down under the floor like the inlet and outlet lines. You'd have to route it either along the sidewall or up the pillars and then along the headliner. The trapped air would then have a path to the high point of the system and the heater core would fill by gravity.

I saw this done on a beetle to vent a front-mount radiator. The vent line went up and over the headliner on the right side of the car.

The advantage to this approach is that the system will stay bled even if there is an air leak into the system.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
With that setup the hoses are below the level of the heater core so it will always trap an air bubble. The pump will move water toward the core, but as soon as the air finds the pump it loses its prime so without bleeding from the top of the heater core it takes several start/stop cycles to get rid of the air bubble.

Another solution I have seen is to run a tiny 1/8" vent line from the top of the heater core to the high point of the system that does not go down under the floor like the inlet and outlet lines. You'd have to route it either along the sidewall or up the pillars and then along the headliner. The trapped air would then have a path to the high point of the system and the heater core would fill by gravity.

I saw this done on a beetle to vent a front-mount radiator. The vent line went up and over the headliner on the right side of the car.

The advantage to this approach is that the system will stay bled even if there is an air leak into the system.

I wasn't thinking about it like that, but it makes a lot of sense. The radiator even has a second hose barb off of it (currently plugged), so I could make it happen on that end. The heater core side would need a hose barb TIG'd to the top of it. Not impossible, but also not gonna happen till I need to drain the system either. Unless there's another way to tap into the heater core and create a vent.

Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

I wish you were closer too, then we could watch my bus overheat together Evil or Very Mad . Anyway, I wound up installing a vent window to replace the jalouise window I'm still planning on selling (figured out how to get it installed without help and it worked pretty well!).

Afterwards, I started the vehicle and let it run for a while. The fans come on at 160-ish degrees. A little after that (maybe 170*) I see a large drop in temp, which I'm assuming is the thermostat opening. So far so good! Unfortunately, the vehicle just keeps getting hotter and hotter. I shut it off at 220. The only thing that I've changed since before-- when it wasn't overheating-- are new heads and gaskets, a new aluminum radiator and the heater core is now plumbed. I think the heater core lines might be the issue, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that neither of the heater core lines have any change in temperature... and that can't be right!! Any advice would be much appreciated.
..Not sure…but maybe something can be gleaned from reading here @ http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=40
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill be hunting down parts in the next 3 months or so to convert the 72....im sick and tired of dads bus being unreliable!

ill have something to keep up in at least. Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New gauge mock up!!! I desperately wanted a trip Odo, so I went from This:

to THIS:

It's a bastardization of some old Mercedes gauges and gauge housing + the VW fuel gauge and the frame of the gauge housing... Yes, I cut both up. The Speedometer is VDO, and uses the same speedometer cable connection as the bus. That and both vehicles ran the same 14" rims and tires, so it should be calibrated the same:

Here's the back of the Benz gauge cluster Pre- messing with it.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not half shabby for a custom setup! Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I thought that Mercedes drove their speedos from the transmission. Is it still 1:1 like the wheel-driven VW? You might need a ratio adapter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 47

Jump to: