Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Black & Blue Su-BUS-aroo Build Thread...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scirocco_crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job on the thread, I see some friends of mine have been following this build. Did you figure out the brakes? How about rear disks for about $150?

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Need some help....

Today I started looking at all the parts I have to re-do the brakes. In the Rear hardware kit there's shoe retaining springs, swirly caps and two different sizes of pins. Are these necessary on a 78 bus? This post http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7217762 says VW discontinued their use after 74 or 76 and then started re-using them again on the vanagons. Of course I bought new backing plates and they have a hole for insertion of the pins, BUT the stock backing plates on my bus DON"T have the holes for the plates.

What do do?

That and I tried dry fitting things in the living room and I can't get the cap on, even with the long pins. how difficult is it to get the bloody things on?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Current Build 1976 VW Bus Subaru with EZ36 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9443081#9443081
Second Current Build 1979 Porsche 911SC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10117349#10117349
Previous Builds 78 Westy with matching trailer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589790&highlight=westy
78 Bay with Acura 3.2 Type S engine
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scirocco_crazy wrote:
Great Job on the thread, I see some friends of mine have been following this build. Did you figure out the brakes? How about rear disks for about $150?

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Need some help....

Today I started looking at all the parts I have to re-do the brakes. In the Rear hardware kit there's shoe retaining springs, swirly caps and two different sizes of pins. Are these necessary on a 78 bus? This post http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7217762 says VW discontinued their use after 74 or 76 and then started re-using them again on the vanagons. Of course I bought new backing plates and they have a hole for insertion of the pins, BUT the stock backing plates on my bus DON"T have the holes for the plates.

What do do?

That and I tried dry fitting things in the living room and I can't get the cap on, even with the long pins. how difficult is it to get the bloody things on?

oh do tell...i want a set... with e brake setup?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
The pins that come in the kits are too short. Guy's have had to use there old pins.
Good Luck

Ugh! But I don't HAVE old pins to re-use Brick wall F-my life.... (aka, I'm grumpy cause I got potentially REALLY BAD NEWS today AND found out my pins are too short. Story of my life Confused )

scirocco_crazy wrote:

Shocked Like Stewart said... if it has a parking brake I'm all in. Gotta have that to pass NYS inspection. Wait! No... If it's the same CRAPPY EMPI disk setup as I put on the bug, I don't want anything to do with it. What junk. Their machining tolerances were so loose that I had to send 3 calipers back and a pair of rotors before giving up, mixing and matching parts, machining spacers and using various sized washers to just get things to work.

You sure you didn't miss a zero? I'd love to have me a set of Porsche rear disks with custom hubs + front bustangs from Wagon'sWest

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/disk...m-oem.html

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/disk-brakes/71-79-bustangs.html

OR...
the Subabrakes (Goodness only knows how much they're gonna cost)

http://www.subarugears.com/subabrakes/

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update. First, I got a Hitch from Jamie Rivers at http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/latebayhitch.htm. It's a nice piece and installs pretty easily (hardest part is holding it and the bumper in place with your leg while you zip the bolts in). For me of course it took a little more effort since I had to cut away the hitch the previous owner welded on.. and boy oh boy did he use a lot of weld. Very little of it penetrated the brackets or bumper. Most was just laid on top of the original crappy welds. Fat lotta good that was gonna do! Regardless, I had to use an acetylene torch to get it off, and then grind everything away. Anyway... the rear part of the receiver is flush with the back of the bumper (or would be if I hadn't cut a square out of the bumper to get the old one off), so there's no shin crunching... unless I leave the ball on. Here's a pic pre install. Didn't interfere with the exhaust or anything.

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then I spent the past 2 days doing brakes... It's not as difficult as I expected (I've never done rear drums), and would have been pretty much a breeze... If I had all the parts and tools I needed Confused

Anyway, here's what I started with on the drivers rear. The other side wasn't much better:

Goodness!!! I'm not even sure how the bloody thing stopped. I actually feel kinda silly having put 110 miles on the thing. At least no one's dead!!! Anyway, In order to change the rear backing plate, the hubs need to come off. I had planned on using the torque multiplier tool I have and used to take the rear axle nut off the bug (36mm), but.. um... Huge oversight on my part! The rear nut is 46mm?! Ugh. Turns out no one carries a 46mm socket. NO ONE. But fortunately, a 1-13/16" socket is within a 1000th of an inch. Bought that one. And it fits well.. Unfortunately my gun wasn't strong enough to get the nut loose (260ft/lbs). So I bought another one... which wasn't strong enough... so I finally went for the creme-de-la-creme of home mechanic impact guns. It's an Ingersoll Rand 231C. Max Torque 600ft/lbs, and a nifty little switch that lets you change the amount of torque you apply in the ON direction. Worked like a dream (though a larger compressor would have been nice)

All that running around cost me an entire day basically. Silly anti-efficient day because of a relatively small oversight. Drives me crazy.

So then this AM I assembled the rear drums Please take a look and tell me if you see anything missing or out of place. Hub off:

hub on:

and drum on w/ adapters:

Doing the rears took most all morning and into the afternoon. Not because it's really takes that long but because there's no horseshoe clips in the rear hardware kit. WTF?! It's a pretty innocuous piece. PUT IT IN THE KIT!!! Anyway...There's one trip to FLAPS. Then... when I was installing the anti squeeeel springs I shot a pair of caps clear across the driveway and into the lawn somewhere, lost forever. That necessitated a SECOND trip to FLAPS. Ugh. Here's the passenger side. Again, take a look and tell me if I did anything Dumb:

And since I have to re-bleed the entire system, I put new flexy lines in at all 4 corners:

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I moved on to the fronts. Hope of a quick fix almost immediately dashed...This is the Passenger side caliper. The dust boot has been chewed almost completely away:

Sooooo.... That's probably why the bus dives to the left when braking. I'm not entirely sure that piston is working. To fix it, I bought a pair of caliper rebuild kits for (what I believe) are ATE calipers. Just gotta wait the week and a half for them to get here. The driver's side isn't much better, so I'll do both. And then there's this:

Hmmm... I THINK the water's getting in thru the speedometer cable hole. I hadn't noticed but there's no cotter pin on the cable end. The wheel bearings need changed here as well (obviously) as it's a bit lumpy when it spins. Thankfully I bought inner and outer bearings and seals for all 4 corners. This is the only corner I'm gonna do however as the other three corners all spun great and the grease still looked clean. I just re-packed a little more in there.

So. I'm at a standstill with the bus on jackstands slowly sinking into the asphalt while I wait for rebuild kits.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, I would cancel the rebuild kit and just order 2 new/rebuilt calipers. for the time you will spend screwing with them, and seeing how ugly they are, I personally wouldn't waste the time.

I think you will get them apart and get your feelings hurt by what you find

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
honestly, I would cancel the rebuild kit and just order 2 new/rebuilt calipers. for the time you will spend screwing with them, and seeing how ugly they are, I personally wouldn't waste the time.

x2 new calipers are WAY easier and MUCH better. just do it.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

x2 new calipers are WAY easier and MUCH better. just do it.

X3

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ ok.... done and done. Rebuild rotor squeezers OTW

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Note how your upper springs are stretched out. Can't find it, but there was a post on the upper spring holes being in the wrong place.
It has been reported that the drums rub on the new backing plates. Seems easiest solution is to have some material cut off the drum on a brake lathe.

Good Luck
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front bearings got done both sides today inside and out. Water was definitely getting in thru the speedo hole, someone had siliconed it in the past. I'll probably do the same after I send the speedo cable out for new ends and the ratio adapter. So, the backing plate was cleaned up. Spindles looked good. I also painted the grease cap to match the rims. Think it looks pretty good. Just waiting on calipers and a system bleed at this point.

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
Note how your upper springs are stretched out. Can't find it, but there was a post on the upper spring holes being in the wrong place.
It has been reported that the drums rub on the new backing plates. Seems easiest solution is to have some material cut off the drum on a brake lathe.

Good Luck

ugh. Thanks China! I doubt there's anything I can do about the spring, but I'll keep an eye on the backing plate issue. I'll go thru and re-adjust the rears again after I bleed the system. Um, so approximately how far out should the adjuster nut be with new pads? Cause they're different one side of the bus to the other, but equal within each assembly. It looks to me like the driver's side needed adjusted out about 1/4" away from the star spinner, while the passenger side is only out about 1/8".

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo cable grommet
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Speedo cable grommet

Nope. That grommet in the rear is intact and looks good. Water wasn't getting in there. Besides the inner bearings looked great, outer ones were a little tarnished. I think the problem was that there wasn't an e clip on the cable end and water got in thru there. The PO siliconed the cable in. Why? I dunno. Point is, I spent what like $30 for new bearings and seals? and now I'm relying on a 0.30cent e clip to protect those bearings by keeping the cable where it should be.... that freaks me out some, so I might dab some silicone on top of everything just in case.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find it, but I seem to remember finding an o-ring behind the "C" clip.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you immerse the front end, much water isn't going to find its way in through the speedo cable hole. How does the other side look?

If there is rust in the wheel bearings I'd be concerned about the bearings in the torsion beams. Pump some grease through them and see if rust comes out with the old grease.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Unless you immerse the front end,

somehow i suspect we...i mean he...might. Laughing Twisted Evil

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Shocked

um... the passenger side bearings were perfect. I just replaced them to keep things symmetrical. I'm not too worried about the beam, but I'll grease her up at some point.

Also... I ordered those calipers, what? Like a week ago? And today I get a call from them saying, "oops, we don't have them in stock". So I looked all over and couldn't find anyone who could source me calipers... except NAPA Confused They are way cheaper than the BusDepot calipers, and have a lifetime warranty. Sounds good to me.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Shocked

um... the passenger side bearings were perfect. I just replaced them to keep things symmetrical. I'm not too worried about the beam, but I'll grease her up at some point.

Also... I ordered those calipers, what? Like a week ago? And today I get a call from them saying, "oops, we don't have them in stock". So I looked all over and couldn't find anyone who could source me calipers... except NAPA Confused They are way cheaper than the BusDepot calipers, and have a lifetime warranty. Sounds good to me.

olympic brake supply had some good ones for about 100 each. thats weest coast though....

glad you found some Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 47

Jump to: