Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cold start and cold idle woes
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Cold start and cold idle woes Reply with quote

Been chasing this problem for a while, recently it has become worse, and I can't figure it out.

Background:
76 Westy
Camper special engine kit (2.0L) - installed about 8k miles/4 years ago

Symptoms:
Engine is "cold" - the below happens even in 90 deg humid NJ weather
Engine will sputter once when cranking - will not start
Engine will start if you hold the throttle down
Engine won't idle until warm without holding the throttle down a bit
Once warm, the engine runs great
LM1 read AF checks out on the highway, at idle I have enough reversion in the exhaust that I can't get a good reading

What I've checked/replaced:
FPR is new, fuel pressure readings are good
Fuel injectors have less than 3k on a rebuild
Fuel injector seals are new
Pulled the AFR last weekend, sealed the seams, now holds a strong vacuum and closes in ~one minute
Pulled the plenum, vac/pressure/bubble tested it, plugged some minor leaks around the CSV screw threads, now holds a good vacuum
Pulled the rockers, pressure/bubbled tested the manifolds, no leaks at the heads or the injectors
Pulled the S-boot, pressure/vacuum/bubble tested it, no leaks
Checked TSII at the sensor and at the ECU - in spec
Checked all other readings at the ECU - in spec (although I do need to clean my grounds)
Brake boost holds a vacuum
Decel, vac advance, EEC all hold vacuum
Running the engine with all vac lines disconnected from the plenum (holes plugged) makes no difference

The only wildcard I can currently think of is the throttle body. I definitely have leaks around the throttle shaft - throttle body on the plenum and the assembly can't hold a vacuum, pressure test shows lots o bubbles around the shaft (although the seal is biased to hold vacuum). Is this enough to create the issues I am seeing? Of course I will fix it, but I'd be interested to hear if you think this is the likely culprit. I thought for sure that the leaks I was finding around the AFR were the issue, but nope. I guess I am having a hard time believing that the throttle body warms up enough to close up those leaks . . .

Of course, last question, where can I get a new throttle shaft seal? Quick search turned up that they are NLA - anyone have a source?

Sorry for the length - and any help would be greatly appreciated. Been spending a lot of time trying to chase this down and I am stumped . . .

-Chris
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough write up. Looks like you've done your homework. It sounds like you've checked the AAR (you called it AFR, I think?) and confirmed that it closes in about a minute. But the issue might be that it's not open enough to begin with. There is a small adjustment nut on the AAR body that allows you to widen the static position of the aperture. With the adjustment nut loose, set the aperture all the way open with a small screwdriver, then tighten the nut. Reinstall and report back!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold start and cold idle woes Reply with quote

type11969 wrote:
Pulled the AFR last weekend, sealed the seams, now holds a strong vacuum and closes in ~one minute

And how many minutes of holding the pedal a little till it idles on it's own does it take?, maybe you should explore the function of this simple yet crucial component a little more thoroughly Wink (assuming you really mean AAR because I don't know what an AFR is).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cold start valve should still be functioning even at 90°, it just will not be open for very long.

Does your fuel pump come on at your first turn the key to start?

It sounds like you may still have vacuum leaks so fixing the shaft seal on the throttle body would be a good place to start. Someone somewhere must have the seals, have you tried a European source like JustKampers?
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have mentioned that the CSV valve is working, not dripping, and is on for a few seconds at startup (what causes the initial catch at startup).

The fuel pump turns on too with the key, and I've tried priming the system by running the pump independently before startup just in case (even though the fuel pressure regulator is new/working)

The AAR (sorry for the typo) is open all the way when "cold".

It takes a good 5+ minutes of pedal pressure (enough to maintain "elevated" idle speed) before the engine can sustain itself - even then it is a low/crappy idle. Good idle will come after another couple of minutes of driving.

Yeah, I've been beating my head against a wall on this one. I think I found another throttle body I have in my stash with a newish seal that I replaced a long time ago - but never used. I think it is a 1.7 throttle body though, not sure if they are smaller than the 1.8 that I am currently using. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Any other ideas I'm willing to give em a shot, thanks for the ideas so far!

-Chris
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you unplug the TS2?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
larrydeville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: cild start Reply with quote

I had the same problem after fresh fuel pump, AFM and injectors which after 35 or so years they needed to be freshened up with the engine any way. I have a 77 camper. I hooked a test light to the plug that goes to the start injector , pulled one of the wires to the coil to disable it and had my wife crank the cold motor. The test light went bright for a moment and then slowly dimmed and went out. I removed the injector from the plenum and duct taped the hole over. The fuel and the plug were hooked up. My wife cranked the motor and the injector did not squirt. Replaced the cold start injector and its all good......warm or cold start. I think there is two offerings on the thermal time switch and the later offering is supposed to be better for cold start. Good luck.....Larry
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue and to verify it was the AAR I put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then immediately installed it in my bus. The problem was gone. I thoroughly cleaned the AAR and adjusted it to be open more and my problem is gone.

I don't know if vacuum leaks would cause the issue but I had some and after they were fixed the issue persisted.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone have alink on how to "open" the AAR properly? Thanks!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
someone have alink on how to "open" the AAR properly? Thanks!

It's just a matter of loosening the nut and wiggling/pulling the bolt it's attached to until its opened enough to your liking.
Whitley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue on my 76. Have you checked the seal between the throttle body and the pleneum? Also, the vacuum diaphragm on the air cleaner? I replaced the AAR, found a new AFM, and also found that my dwell was a little out of spec. Although I had tested the AAR and it appeared to be in spec, I think that was the main problem because I was getting a real high idle when restarting it hot.

Now she starts and idles like a dream hot or cold.

What I do- www.mwhitley.com

Dig Americana Music? www.markwhitleyband.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kismet2013
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem last year. After days of frustration I ended up cleaning the connections for the FI Double Relay (both plugs) and moving it's ground to a new location and Bam...problem solved. Good luck

When solved could you post remedy for future reference
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - got some ideas to try this weekend, I will definitely report back
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar issue. Any updates?
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next weekend - hopefully . . .
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 77 automatic with FI (all stock) that it starts after a few cranks (suspect CSV not fully working) and then it idles a bit low and will die sometimes, and if i put it into drive it dies. if i hold the revs for about 30 seconds to a minute it runs beautiful otherwise. i suspect its running a bit rich due to an AFM adjustment being needed...would this cause my problem? i would love to dig into this tonight if i can...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it start when the engine is warm? I would check the AAR first.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i opened the AAR up as best i could (loosen nut, push plate open with a screwdriver as far as i could, tighten nut) and it seemed to go away. i also cleaned a VERY oily breather box...doubt thats related though.

now i have noticed a random mis at idle, where it stutters just a bit. it can happen in drive or neutral, and is noticeable in drive the most as it jolts the whole bus a bit. it also seems to do it in motion too....i just didnt notice it until tonight.

any ideas that may be related? im thinking AFM at this point....all the ignitions been replaced recently...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
i opened the AAR up as best i could (loosen nut, push plate open with a screwdriver as far as i could, tighten nut) and it seemed to go away. i also cleaned a VERY oily breather box...doubt thats related though.

now i have noticed a random mis at idle, where it stutters just a bit. it can happen in drive or neutral, and is noticeable in drive the most as it jolts the whole bus a bit. it also seems to do it in motion too....i just didnt notice it until tonight.

any ideas that may be related? im thinking AFM at this point....all the ignitions been replaced recently...

I'm not an expert but the AAR may be open too much. You would be surprised at how much of a difference a small adjustment can make.

Did you clean the AAR? When I cleaned mine I used break cleaner and used the straw to get it in there and I moved the bolt to open and close the AAR to get as much of the surface as clean as possible.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

I'm not an expert but the AAR may be open too much. You would be surprised at how much of a difference a small adjustment can make.

Did you clean the AAR? When I cleaned mine I used break cleaner and used the straw to get it in there and I moved the bolt to open and close the AAR to get as much of the surface as clean as possible.

yep cleaned its pretty well. plate springs freely when pushed aside a bit. then springs back like i think its supossed to.

its had this intermittent miss for a while now....before i touched the AAR, but the AAR i think was affecting cold idle.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: