Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring a 6v fog light
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panicman ; Why don't you feed off the fuse block . the first fuse should have a larger wire direct to battery . put a separate fuse inline for your lights

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Panicman ; Why don't you feed off the fuse block . the first fuse should have a larger wire direct to battery . put a separate fuse inline for your lights

Hmmm sounds familiar

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
If you want to avoid using a seperate circuit all the way from the battery, you can tap off the MAIN Battery circuit at the fuse block. (big red wire far left upper supply) for the the relay load.
It would still need a seperate in line fuse for the fog lamp load circuit.

IMO adding a 35 w bulb = 6 amp LOAD to the original circuits that were never intended to have that much extra load added for continuous use.. could overload them..

Would it work?.. yep.... for one lamp.. it would be ok..

IMO.. dont waist your time routing a wire through the roof unless its a bare body.
Easier routed on the floor and into the head lamp dimmer harness area.. or simply outside the car..

If you really want to try it though.
Snake one up towards the interior lamp via the B pillar, then snake another up the A pillar towards the interior lamp..... make the splice connection behind the interior lamp..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the car is my distraction and hobby, and I have no motivation to do it quickly or easily. I would rather make it a safe and solid install, and have fun taking some time doing it. I did all my rushing getting the bodywork done, paint, and then getting it driving.

And who knows, I may want to even add another fog down the road. Thank you guys for chiming in!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
grandpa pete wrote:

Hmmm sounds familiar

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
If you want to avoid using a seperate circuit all the way from the battery, you can tap off the MAIN Battery circuit at the fuse block. (big red wire far left upper supply) for the the relay load.
It would still need a seperate in line fuse for the fog lamp load circuit.

IMO adding a 35 w bulb = 6 amp LOAD to the original circuits that were never intended to have that much extra load added for continuous use.. could overload them..

Would it work?.. yep.... for one lamp.. it would be ok..

IMO.. dont waist your time routing a wire through the roof unless its a bare body.
Easier routed on the floor and into the head lamp dimmer harness area.. or simply outside the car..

If you really want to try it though.
Snake one up towards the interior lamp via the B pillar, then snake another up the A pillar towards the interior lamp..... make the splice connection behind the interior lamp..

Thank you for the routing idea. I used a fish tape to run back to the dome light from under the hood hinge, and taped my wire to the fish tape there. Then, I pulled the fish and wire back out in the trunk, and routed my new wire along the existing harness. Tomorrow, I'll pull my rear seat and fish the other end down the B pillar, fusing near the battery.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a simple correction to the schematic.

To connect the relay "ground" wire on the + of the 'high beam' lights instead of directly to the ground.

All cars have the fog lights to be switched off when high beam lights are on; with my modification this is automatic.

An other correction: to connect the "+" to the switch to the city light, so fog lights can be switched on ONLY when city light are on, as stated in the most of the countries.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
I suggest a simple correction to the schematic.

To connect the relay "ground" wire on the + of the 'high beam' lights instead of directly to the ground.

All cars have the fog lights to be switched off when high beam lights are on; with my modification this is automatic.

An other correction: to connect the "+" to the switch to the city light, so fog lights can be switched on ONLY when city light are on, as stated in the most of the countries.

Good suggestion.. for those who need legal..and automatic..
FYI.. The US Beetles are not equipped with city lights..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm adding a pair of 55 watt, 6 volt fog lights. I understand I need a relay that can handle at least 20 Amps. What amps do any of the stock 6V relays handle?

High beam relay?

Horn relay?

I was hoping to avoid buying an aftermarket relay, but I have found one if needed.

Also, once I get the relay sorted out, will a typical bus domelight switch handle the load behind the relay or do I need a better switch?

I'm planning to have the fog lights on a completely separate and dedicated switch but one that only works with the key on in my 1963.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never use such 55W bulbs on a 6V-generator car.

The generator itself has serious limits with such current requests.

Stock generator is designed to supply 7V-45A at its maximum, i.e. engine at maximum rpm, all in order, et cetera.

20A are for main lights, if you put other 20A for fog lights you have almost no energy for stop lights, turn signal, ignition coil, horn...

To have energy in a 6V only two ways:
1 - convert to 12V
2 - use a 6V alternator; never seen it in a VW but they exist for old USA cars; not simple to add them in the engine vane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added foglamps to my '65, still 6V. It can be done but you need to rework the system, to accommodate it.

I ran a separate wire, used a '66 style headlight dimmer relay, soldered all connections and cleaned up grounds. I also had a slightly higher than stock generator (said to be from the Porsche but I never verified that, and I think that's what you get now as rebuilt cores.)

Even with all this, my wipers slowed at idle and I used a larger than standard battery, kept in good condition. It was barely enough and I could see properly at night.

But without all those measures, it might actually be dimmer with them on due to the voltage drops.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Ok so I read through a couple of threads on how to wire up a fog light and rather than start a new one, I'm using this one. Electrical isn't my strong point, almost caught my motorcycle on fire when I was re-doing the wiring for it a couple of years ago. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me. So I always try and get as much info as possible before attempting to wire something up.

I purchased this 6v 35 watt fog light and want to wire it up to my 60' 12v system. It's merely an accessory and won't be on all the time. Unfortunately or fortunate depending on how you look at it, I bought the car already converted to 12v so I don't know a whole lot about how they did it and what they added to the system.

I get the basics, it grounds through the body of the light, the 1 wire out the light runs to an on/off switch, then a wire from the on/off switch to power.

I've read that there should be a inline fuse and a relay. This is where I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.
Do I need a relay at all for just one fog light?
Do I need a 6v or 12v relay?
Do I run a fuse between the switch and power source?
Do I run the switch to the battery or to the fuse block?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

iamthewalrus30 wrote:

I purchased this 6v 35 watt fog light and want to wire it up to my 60' 12v system.

Um.... .. that wont work.. for long..
It will be super bright for a short time .. then.. extremely dark and inoperative because the bulb is blown

You need a 12 volt bulb for a 12 volt system.

So
Step 1: get the right bulb.. that is 12 volts for the 12 volt system.

Step 2: Go back to page 1 of this topic, re read and look at the diagrams.. it pretty much answers all you've asked.

IMO: yes: a 12 volt relay.
Usually and often edited
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
iamthewalrus30 wrote:

I purchased this 6v 35 watt fog light and want to wire it up to my 60' 12v system.

Um.... .. that wont work.. for long..
It will be super bright for a short time .. then.. extremely dark and inoperative because the bulb is blown

You need a 12 volt bulb for a 12 volt system.

So
Step 1: get the right bulb.. that is 12 volts for the 12 volt system.

Step 2: Go back to page 1 of this topic, re read and look at the diagrams.. it pretty much answers all you've asked.

IMO: yes: a 12 volt relay.

Thanks man! I'll stop at my local autoparts store today after work. Yeah the diagrams look pretty straight forward, but I just wanted to make sure. Look I have to buy a 12volt bulb and didn't know. lol
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

iamthewalrus30 wrote:

Thanks man! l

We'll get ya lit up... Laughing no worries.

Pick up a 25-30 amp generic relay as well. 4 terminals preferred (5 terminals will work too)
.. Sometimes sold as a .. fog light relay. Wink

Usually and often edited
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
iamthewalrus30 wrote:

Thanks man! l

We'll get ya lit up... Laughing no worries.

Pick up a 25-30 amp generic relay as well. 4 terminals preferred (5 terminals will work too)
.. Sometimes sold as a .. fog light relay. Wink

So last night I took the bulb out just so I can have something to reference when buying the new one and I think it's an actual 12v bulb right?? It's marked right there on the thing so I should be ok?
I'm heading to my one local Radio Shack that is still standing after work today to pick everything else up. It's a shame that there is only 1 left after the 4 that were open in my area. My dad would buy everything electronic there.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

Reads 12v to me.. .

Radio Shack.. eh'.. may not have all you need.
You can buy all the parts needed at any flaps store.

Usually and often edited
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Reads 12v to me.. .

Radio Shack.. eh'.. may not have all you need.
You can buy all the parts needed at any flaps store.

Just wanted to say thanks man! I got the fog light all hooked up over the weekend using the provided info on this thread.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Never use such 55W bulbs on a 6V-generator car.

The generator itself has serious limits with such current requests.

Stock generator is designed to supply 7V-45A at its maximum, i.e. engine at maximum rpm, all in order, et cetera.

I'm using a 50A 6v generator. Still a problem?

How about if I use a single one of these lights?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

Got all my parts together and was going to wire up my fog lights and noticed the posting by Herbie1200. My car is still 6v and based on the info I'm finding, the bulbs I'm using are 25watts. Running two of them using the "switch" diagram above should I be ok? I'll be soldering connections (I've also done clean up and soldering in my electrical system) and using quality connectors where appropriate.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:

To have energy in a 6V only two ways:
1 - convert to 12V
2 - use a 6V alternator; never seen it in a VW but they exist for old USA cars; not simple to add them in the engine vane.

Third way is to add a second generator!

We have blueprint of how to add one to the left side of the carb on a 25/36, and have a Bosch double generator stand in our collection for Bastard 40 HP and later. Below are some more from the Gallery.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring a 6v fog light Reply with quote

Thru the Technical button at upper right is a whole bunch of VW info one should wander often and well.

Here is the "Technical Bulletins":

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletin_index.php

Especially check out the "Electrical System"! Note that the type 3 one is wired with the same relay as previously mentioned. Either way can be used on any VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: