Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3" Raised Spindles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: 3" Raised Spindles Reply with quote

I ordered some 3" raised spindles from Doug Fuller in Utah. They showed up and he did a great job with them. Gussets on the tie rod arms and good to go with speedo cable.
My first problem was that my AC Industries bracket for my discs did not sit flush. No problem, I took a grinder to the spindle and made room for it to fit.
My next problem was that after it was all together, I noticed my wheels were binding on something. I Figured out the tie rod arm was rubbing on the inside of my rim. Grinder please! Ok took care of that. Now the third problem. I have adjusters in my beam and cranked them down so that there is no lift through adjusters. I also have the sway-Away stiffer leafs. I installed my shocks, I have the Bilstein 7100 class 11's and they are pretty much through all of the travel with about 1" left before it bottoms out. Now this makes no sense to me. I thought that if you went with raised spindles, you needed the longer shocks. Do I need to crank up the adjusters to get the length of the shock mount longer? The ride height is great. Sits about 17" from floor to body just behind front fender. I want to avoid cranking on adjusters. I went with raised spindles to be able to feel my Bilsteins.
This is by no means a complaint on Doug's work. He does great work. I don't have stock components so I was expecting some issues.
Saddlesore, Fasty, Doubles?
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By taking out all of the preload in the torsions, you're effectively lowering the ride height to near bump on the shock.

If you backed the grub screws out all the way and cycled the suspension you'd probably see that you need to raise the car up a couple of inches to get the ride height to be in the middle of your available wheel travel.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shock length will not have any effect from raised spindles. The shock mount stays in the stock position. I have raised spindles on my Baja and have loved them for over 20 years.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I got it. Now I realize I will need new rims. Too close for comfort. Any idea on what spacing your rims have Mr Brown?
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is correct that the spindles themselves won't change anything for the shock length, but the adjusters do affect the required shock length. Lowering the adjusters is now having the same effect as lowering the car would, shortening the available wheel travel, and now using all of the shock at ride height.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using 5.5" with 215/75R15 BFG Mud Terrains, and I love that combo. I plan to widen my rear fenders eventually, and then run 7" rims in the back with a 31/10.50-15 combo in the back. I forgot about your adjusters, but if they are backed off to the stock position you should not have any shock length problems.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built my thing front end I used the 6100 series that has the same travel as the 7100's. I found that the maximum travel of the ball joints was used up before the full shock travel. In other words if you put stops on your front end to stop the travel before the ball joint maxes out then the shock will be long enough. At least in my case it was.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. My problem is tht the shocks are too long, so I need to go with a stock length shock. I'm thinking the Bilstein B6 HD,PART #24-006200. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm not looking for stiff, but plush, so maybe these are not what I'm looking for. I have also decided I need to go with a 1/4 or 3/8 spacer to gain some wheel clearance from the spindles. I will eventually get different rims but keeping $ tight right now after my most recent upgrades.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Brown, you said going to a 31" tire in the back. Is that possible without mods or re indexing? Seems pretty big? I went with a 1/4 inch spacer on the front for clearance and that solved my problem. I also got the stock length HD Bilstein shocks today and am waiting for the mount kit and I will be good to go.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will have to widen the fenders when I run those bigger tires in the back. I am probably looking at least 3" wider than stock. The torsions are indexed and I have slightly notched the spring plates so they don't bottom out (less than 3/8"). I run this combo on my Baja and it works very well. At the moment I am running 215/75R15' all around.
Jeffreysoltes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: 3 inch raise spindles Reply with quote

Can you give me more info on who you purchased these from? been looking and besides tweeds can't find anybody that makes them. Phone number, company name any contact info would be great. and other issues you had with stock front end parts would be helpful. Thanks! Jeff
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered them from Doug Fuller in Utah. Here is his website
http://thevolksrodshop.com/#2613
Does really nice work, and relatively quick.
Issues I had were clearancing on my disc brake mount bracket. No biggie, I just took a grinder to The spindle to het the bracket to sit flat. I have 15 inch wheels and was getting some rubbing on the spindle and rim. Ground some material off of the spindle and then went with a 1/4 spacer and that solved my problem. The 3" is a good looking height.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys will have to modify your spindles, but they seem to have a good reputation.
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Brown, from what I have read online, I would not go with these guys. I have researched a bunch and found quite a few negative experiences with them. Not to take away business from anybody or anything but my experience with Doug was awesome as well as what I have read from other people's experiences. He takes existing spindles and modifies them. Luckily he had a set to alter, so I did not need to send him mine and miss out on driving. He just charged me extra and will refund me once I get my cores back to him.
Two thumbs up for this guy, he does great work.
Jeffreysoltes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see some pictures. What did you do with the back?
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locky wrote:
Mr Brown, from what I have read online, I would not go with these guys. I have researched a bunch and found quite a few negative experiences with them. Not to take away business from anybody or anything but my experience with Doug was awesome as well as what I have read from other people's experiences. He takes existing spindles and modifies them. Luckily he had a set to alter, so I did not need to send him mine and miss out on driving. He just charged me extra and will refund me once I get my cores back to him.
Two thumbs up for this guy, he does great work.

I guess it is like anything on the internet. You get dozens of divergent opinions, methods, and facts. Smile In past experiences with web-research I usually take a sampling of as many opinions of a business, or service and see if the good outweighs the bad in "lip service." Blind Chicken got a lot of positive independent reviews, with a few naysayers in my searches. When I get ready to have someone do work for me I would be sure to seek out as many satisfied customers as I could when sending out my rare (expensive) Thing spindles. I'm glad you found someone who does good work. Wes
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digging up old post

I was just on Affordable Suspensions Web site

They sell/"sold" Tweed raised Thing spindles.

big red letters across ad

...........Discontinued.............

just in case anyone may have had thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will vouch for Doug at the Volksrod Shop as well. I bought a beam extender from him and it was top notch!

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes went I tried Doug. I went BCR and it was a hassle and months to resolve which was still not resolved to my preference. got worn down. still not satisfied with BCR's but work for now and do not want to tear it apart again or spend monies rt now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes wish I tried Doug. I went BCR and it was a hassle and months to resolve which was still not resolved to my preference. got worn down. still not satisfied with BCR's but work for now and do not want to tear it apart again or spend monies rt now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: