Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3" Raised Spindles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 3" Raised Spindles Reply with quote

locky wrote:
I ordered some 3" raised spindles from Doug Fuller in Utah. They showed up and he did a great job with them. Gussets on the tie rod arms and good to go with speedo cable.
My first problem was that my AC Industries bracket for my discs did not sit flush. No problem, I took a grinder to the spindle and made room for it to fit.
My next problem was that after it was all together, I noticed my wheels were binding on something. I Figured out the tie rod arm was rubbing on the inside of my rim. Grinder please! Ok took care of that. Now the third problem. I have adjusters in my beam and cranked them down so that there is no lift through adjusters. I also have the sway-Away stiffer leafs. I installed my shocks, I have the Bilstein 7100 class 11's and they are pretty much through all of the travel with about 1" left before it bottoms out. Now this makes no sense to me. I thought that if you went with raised spindles, you needed the longer shocks. Do I need to crank up the adjusters to get the length of the shock mount longer? The ride height is great. Sits about 17" from floor to body just behind front fender. I want to avoid cranking on adjusters. I went with raised spindles to be able to feel my Bilsteins.
This is by no means a complaint on Doug's work. He does great work. I don't have stock components so I was expecting some issues.
Saddlesore, Fasty, Doubles?

I just now getting into this post (late) and having trouble following the flow. Sorry its 8:30 after a long vacation and 1 cup of jo so far..
I am assuming that your issue is you cannot bottom out and something is keeping you from it. I am also assuming you are able to top out (with limit straps to avoid tearing your Ball Joints). If that is the case then I am assuming your tension on your torsion bars are too much.
Raised spindles do not change length of shock. Tortion bar tension adjusts the ride height and stiffness. I also cannot figure out how you can compress the suspension with adjusters dialed in (more tension) to see the 1" left in shock. Believe me it takes a lot to compress.
I run Bilstiens Class 11, Adjusters dialed in, Cut and turned front end, 15" BTR with TA 31" tires and I love the ride in front. I need more tension in rear and working on that.
Can you takes some pics of the set up to see if we can help the problem.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if Doug is still in the business of modifying Spindles? If not, anyone recommend a shop that might be able to?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: