Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Hippie Van Man - Panamerican multimedia adventure Reply with quote

I have launched a travel adventure transmedia project called Hippie Van Man, which consists of social media, a website ( www.hippievanman.com ), photo updates, blogs a web video series and more.

I am driving from Toronto (departing Aug 15th) to Burning Man in Nevada and then all the way down to South America in my 1979 Bay that's covered in a funky mural by Toronto artist Alex Runt.

The idea behind the project is sharing the experience, inspiring people to fulfill their dreams, and to live in the now. It’s about the spirit of adventure, and spreading smiles and good vibes 1km at a time.

I am also using the project to raise money and awareness for the Canadian Cancer Society as cancer has hit close to home multiple times for me. The fundraising page is here http://convio.cancer.ca/goto/hippievanman

Anyway I did a work exchange with a local video agency. They needed some web development and photography done and in exchange they produced a trailer for my multimedia project.

Today we released the video on youtube so feel free to have a look.

Link

I plan to keep the website and social media up to date with content varying from DIY projects to life on the road, people, places, events and so on. Feel free to follow. Cheers.

Follow the Adventure: http://www.facebook.com/thehippievanman

Adventure seekers! CouchSurfers! Burners! VW Enthusiast! Dreamers!

I am heading from Toronto, Canada to Burning Man in Nevada, U.S.A. this August. From there I will make my way down to South America and beyond. Know a place I should go? Someone I should see?

Don't be shy -- help determine where I should go, things I should check out and people I should meet.

Hippie Van Man is about sharing the experience, inspiring people to fulfill their dreams, and to live in the now. It's about the spirit of travel, adventure, and spreading smiles and good vibes 1km at a time.

I am creating a video web series surrounding my adventures in a 1979 Volkswagen T2 Baywindow, not only to share the experience with you, but to inspire others to follow their dreams.

I will be updating my website and social media frequently with content including photos, blogs and maybe even a live feed.

The project will also be raising money for the Canadian Cancer Society. If you care to donate to our fundraiser for the CCS visit the following link - http://convio.cancer.ca/goto/hippievanman

Links:

WEBSITE -- http://www.HippieVanMan.com
Canadian Cancer Society Fundraiser -- http://convio.cancer.ca/goto/hippievanman
FACEBOOK -- http://www.facebook.com/TheHippieVanMan
TWITTER -- http://twitter.com/TheHippieVanMan
INSTAGRAM -- http://instagram.com/thehippievanman
YOUTUBE -- http://www.youtube.com/TheHippieVanMan
www.instagram.com/TheHippieVanMan
www.youtube.com/thehippievanman

Last edited by TheHippieVanMan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your proposed route?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't fully mapped it out, but most likely Toronto to Nevada via i-90/94, as I am picking up a friend in either Seattle or Vancouver before Burning Man.

After that, I'm planning to kick around California for September, and probably cross over into Tijuana in October in time for Dia De Los Mortes. From there not sure of the exact route, but obviously will be making use of the Pan American Highway and ship Panama-Colombia. I'll be taking my time as a) I'm driving a bay haha and b) I'm in no rush. Hoping to make it to Brazil for May/June next year so I can catch the world cup.

I see you're from Wyoming. I broke down in Buford (smallest town in America) back in 2011. That was an experience. -> http://hippievanman.com/blog/2013/04/22/what-to-do...ed-states/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerrvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool project! Best of luck on your journey! Too bad you're not coming through Texas. It'd be great to meet you.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video and it sounds like a good time. Make damn sure your engine is in tip top shape before heading into Mexico and beyond. We dont want you to end up like HastaAlaska. Mexico/south america are not Type 4 friendly so I would carry enough spare parts to build a new engine if it was me.
Floo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to start at the Phish Toronto show in Monday. Great place to raise awareness for the cause
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to say something knee-jerk, but i watched the vid & i like where you're coming from.
if you need some place or someone to work on that beast roll through Prescott, AZ.

you are going to HAVE to go to east jesus Wink
although, august/september is not the time i'd recommend going.

we helped another young man get to toronto in his T3.
http://www.arjunmehta.tumblr.com/
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful south of the border. That paint job will attract a lot of attention. Best of luck. I'll be looking forward to this one.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82-T/A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap this is awesome.

I have so many good friends, Republican and Democrat, that talk about wanting to travel the Americas in a VW Bus just like you're doing! I really hope this trip goes well for you, and I'll visit your Cancer Funding site.

I'll e-mail this to my wife so she can watch your progress on Facebook!

You're living my dream, man!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool to incorporate a quality charity with your trip.

Happy trails!

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bus, awesome concept, and the Bay Pride Alliance would surely love a guy like your self rockin the Bay!
But, most of us spend ages trying to escape the hippie moniker! Lol
Either way, I'll be following. Looking forward to your adventure, safe travels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerrvert - Thanks. If I do end up exploring into Texas I'll let you know. After burning man I don't really have a set itinerary other than hoping to be in Mexico by October for Day of the Dead.

CoastalAirCooledVW - Thanks, I've had scott from German supply give it a thorough inspection and tweak a few things. That being said a few break downs are to be expected and its all part of the adventure.

Floo420 - I didn't even know they were playing. I think I might try and go to watch them. I'm sure i'll strike up a few convos in the parking lot pre and post concert. I was invited to the big on bloor festival this weekend by the artist that painted my van. So I met a lot of new people. Heard some great VW Bus stories from a few people.

borninabus - Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. I will keep in touch.

shiningstar76 - thanks. I've gotten lots of tips on staying safe and follow a few other websites where people are doing similar trips on the trans america highway. Will try to keep my nose clean.

82-T/A - Glad you think so. This is a big aspect of the project, the whole living ones dream. Taking the plunge and just going for it.

ncstagger - Thanks. As I mentioned, cancer has definitely hit close to home a few times for me as I'm sure it has for many others. So I saw this as a good opportunity to give back.

obnoxiousblue - haha yeah I figured I'd just embrace it instead
Marleybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be following your trip Good luck.

Also you have a bus not a van. Althought Hippie Van man rhymes better.
1981 Vanagon Westfalia (Sold)
1969 VW Beetle Convertible (Wifes)
1977 VW Westy 2.0L FI Chrome Yellow
1978 VW Westy 2.0L FI (Under Restoration)
1973 VW Westy 1.7L Tourist Delivery Orange
Check out my thread!!http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samroon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck man. Loves threads like this:)
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floo420 wrote:
Might want to start at the Phish Toronto show in Monday. Great place to raise awareness for the cause

Thanks once again for the heads up. Decided to grab tickets and go. Going to go tailgate from 5:45pm or so, onwards. If you're heading down have a look for me. Cheers.
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted part 3 of my DIY L-shaped bench seat project today.

Link

retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re burning man. I live very near there (fernley, nev.) if you have never been be prepared for more dirt and dust and maybe mud than you can imagine! I would never take one of my buses ther due to the filth. Just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be my second burn. Took my bus in 2011. There are a ton of buses there. Once we get in and park for the week, just cover up the intake vents, roll up the windows for the week and minimize the amount of times I go in and out of the bus. Lastly I do a thorough cleaning and vacuum of the inside, outside and engine bay, once back to reality/civilization.

My bus isn't a show car. I'll be living in it for the next year or so, so I'm sure its going to get a little dirty from time to time. As was proclaimed in Forest Gump -

Reporter: "Whoa! Man, you just ran through a big pile of dogshit!"
Gump: "It happens"
Reporter: "What? shit?"
Gump: "Sometimes"
derk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHippieVanMan wrote:
This will be my second burn. Took my bus in 2011. There are a ton of buses there.

I am living just North of the Black Rock desert (Cedarville,CA, last store before burning man,coming from the North). Seems like every year 1 or 2 burners break down here with their buses, on their way back home.
I may go too, with my '71 work/beater bus, if I manage to replace the torn boots by then.
When are you coming through?
TheHippieVanMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to be in Reno by the 24th to meet some other friends that are flying out and renting RV's. And aiming to head to BRC on the 26th at some point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: