Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with right spark plug gab .. Please thank you everyone
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWBUGSFOREVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Help with right spark plug gab .. Please thank you everyone Reply with quote

I'm trying the find the right spark plug gab for my 1971 vw beetle , simi high prerformance engine. I put in Brand New , Bosch supers.

This is what i know about the engine. 1600 small block built up a bit , 042 heads , w120 cam , 9.1 compression ? , accel coil from autozone , inside the disp. looks to be elec. with a black wire inside. Just installed 8.5mm black wires from chirco performance. I have just installed 2 kadron carbs , built by kaddie shack. my exhaust is empi heads with a black stinger on it. (Its loud).. Here it goes.. I set the gab at 0.28 , it runs pretty good , put theres a little hestate when taking off , when i put the gab at 0.35 the hestate is all most totally gone. Im from wi (weather matter?), I called many places in CA , They all say 0.28 is the best number i should use ?? I dont want to mess my motor up by having my gab set at 0.35.. Any ideas for me , please help.. Thank you very much.

Last edited by VWBUGSFOREVER on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the coil to be sure it has an internal resistor. .028 to .030 should work for gap. 30 degrees timming.
The bog may come from the carbs needing some readjusting or rejeting to get the engine what it wants.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gap your plugs at .025"-.028". Your hesitation problem is not from the spark plug gap. You need to look into carb and timing and tuning issues.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
VWBUGSFOREVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to the awesome vw community for your help , I'm running a accel high proformance coil with 2 leads on it. Is that ok , Or should i put in the bosh blue coil or get the pretronix set ? ... Thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: