Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle adjust on 34 PICT-3 FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30/31 carb has an idle mixture screw and an idle bypass screw, but they couldn't be said to be "by the choke". Turning either one of them
out should increase rpm's, unless the mixture screw, which is nearer
the rear, is grossly misadjusted. The tuning procedure for that carb is
similar to that for the Solex carb it is meant to replace, and can be found in your service manual.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30/31's have 2 idle jets on the RH side near the choke heater, you shouldn't be turning them they need to be screwed in all the way and snug. Don't use wrench on them even though they have a hex, a screwdriver is just fine and overtorqing them will damage the bore and cause all sorts of idle issues.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the 2 jets are the correct way around. The one pointing slightly rearward is the IDLE jet, the other at 90 degrees is the POWER jet. The IDLE jet is .65 and the power jet .50. Alternatively the IDLE jet (.65) could be blocked, remove it and blow through it.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barry cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: 30/31 Carburetor Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will check.
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Crack that pilot jet ! It really works ! Surprised After having my 34 pict 3 rebushed by tim @ volksblitz, it really didn't hold an idle any better than when I sent it in. The front stud pulled out and Tim was kind enough to help me out with a step-stud. He also drilled out the broken pin at the ball check valve and replaced with a new one and when I cranked it up , it began spraying fuel on my generator! Another trip back to Tim's and it still ran no better....easy start..ran great on choke ...died coming off choke Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I was ready to bite the bullet and try fighting some dual carbs I had bartered for. I was even scared to try messing with the pilot jet just because I was afraid it wouldn't work. But....IT DID! On my cold engine , I cracked the pilot jet open 1/2 turn, started the car and it ran on choke just like usual. When the choke disengaged ,it was still purring. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy playing with the pilot ,I adjusted it somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 and then messed with the volume screw to bring the idle down. Still a little fine tuning to do , but it is so nice to come to a complete stop without feathering the gas to keep the old girl running. MY ADVICE.... Try it , you'll like it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,

Due to the 10% Ethanol in your gas, if you are using the stock size idle Jet then it is too small, you need to go up at least one size i.e. 55 = 60 and many times it needs to go up to 65 or more to make it purr without having to mess with unscrewing the idle jet… the idle jet interacts with the main and the air correction jet… I have found if you have the correct size idle jet the carburetor adjustments screws fall within the factory turn out specs; if you have to turn them out more than 2.5 turns then that most likely signifies your idle jet is too small…

Gas stations without ethanol in your area, you may want to see how differently it runs with non- ethanol blended fuel :0)

http://pure-gas.org/

Hattiesburg TEXACO 87 Dandy Dan's #512 [601-264-4423] 6780 Hwy 49 N31.35973 W89.34947 details

Hattiesburg UNBRANDED 87 Dandy Dan's #513 2010 W Pine St N31.30676 W89.31212 details

Hattiesburg UNBRANDED Ed & Em's Quick Stop 1242 Elks Lake Rd N31.19061 W89.28810 details

Hattiesburg UNBRANDED 87 Fast Mart [601-268-0845] 1801 Broadway Dr. N31.30054 W89.32312 details

Hattiesburg PURE 87 Henry's Grocery & Deli [601-582-8088] 3536 Us Hwy 49 N31.15684 W89.23865 details

Hattiesburg UNBRANDED 87 Lake Serene Grocery 6411 Us Hwy 98 W N31.31772 W89.40872 details

Hattiesburg TEXACO 87 Mac's Triangle Station 301 Broadway Dr N31.31610 W89.30521 details

Hattiesburg UNBRANDED Stuarts Farm Supply 2413 Hwy 589 N31.27008 W89.46658 details

Hazlehurst UNBRANDED 87 Gallman Truck Stop 2092 W Gallman Rd N31.92591 W90.39973 details
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I said , I cracked opened the jet up somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 turn and it made a huge difference. It was really tightened down to begin with and I am probably guilty of doing it myself. After rebuilding it and then tearing it down at least 3 more times to make sure some other trash didn't get in ,I know I had to overtighten it. However, it being a "mystery " carb to begin with, I probably wasn't the first to do it. But with opening that small bit , do you think a step up in jet size is necessary? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it is best to use a bigger jet than use loctite and open the idle jet 1/2 or 1/4 turn, another method used by many DIY mechanics to help cure a loose throttle shaft induce pour idle was to just to take a triangular file and put a notch in the idle jet sealing surface = larger jet…

I used an AF meter to tune my 34-PICT-3, and it runs/idles best with a 70g; it ran OK on a 65g, but purrs hot or cold with the 70g… but that could be due to many factors and too rich for other engines…

You can buy idle jets at ACN…
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Solex-Kadron-Brosol-and-Bocar-Idle-Jets-p/solex-idle-jet.htm

From ACN

Quote:
30 Series carbs should use a 50-55 idle jet.

If you are at elevation, your engine will be happier with a smaller idle jet. Go down "1" for every 1k' above sea level you are at. So Denver (5k') will be a "-5" from a sea level jetting on the idle jet.

The engine's idle will be based on the IDLE MIXTURE SCREW. Because of this characteristic, it's possible to be idling too lean with a 70 idle jet, yet too rich with a 45 idle jet, depending on how the idle mixture screw is adjusted!
So the idle jet size should be selected based on how it DRIVES on the progression circuit (not how it idles), which are throttle conditions from off-idle to around 1/3 throttle. Obviously a Wideband or a 5-gas Analyzer are best for this, please read our Wideband Tuning article for more insight!

thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="keifernet"]the way the 34 pict 3 carb is designed ( and the 30- pict 3 and 30/31 brosol replacment carbs too) the throttle plate " butterfly" is supposed to be closed warm at idle... this is opposite of how all previous versions of the VW Solex carb were

So the butterfly is supposed to be "CLOSED"??? I'm not a carb guy, and have little experience working on cars to begin with so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I'm having a problem keeping my 34 pict 3 running after warm up. If I hold down the butterfly once it's warmed up it runs great.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "hold down the butterfly" mean? The throttle return spring should be holding the butterfly closed
quite firmly. And by "closed" I mean the throttle stop adjusting screw is in contact with the fast idle cam. Said
screw should be adjusted (if necessary) as per the procedure given in your Bentley service manual: with choke
completely open, turn in screw until it contacts the "base" portion of the fast idle cam, and then advance it
1/4 turn further. That last bit is just to keep the butterfly from slamming into the carb throat when the spring
snaps it shut: it does not open the butterfly to any significant extent.

JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: 34 pict 3 issue Reply with quote

On Cold start the choke/butterfly is closed. After driving for approx. 15-20 minutes and the engine is warmed up the butterfly opens, the car then dies. It will restart without a problem. If I push butterfly closed or mostly closed it runs great. So perhaps not enough fuel?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the idle circuit is pluged to start with pull the idle jet and see if it is pluged.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the idle circuit is pluged to start with pull the idle jet and see if it is pluged.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:

Yes, that or the fuel/air mix is unusable due to too much air getting in from a vacuum leak. Or the idle cut-off solenoid not working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already checked and eliminated any vac leaks I had. I'll check the idle jet and go from there. Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict 3 issue Reply with quote

JaymzD wrote:
On Cold start the choke/butterfly is closed. After driving for approx. 15-20 minutes and the engine is warmed up the butterfly opens, the car then dies. It will restart without a problem. If I push butterfly closed or mostly closed it runs great. So perhaps not enough fuel?

Has it always done this or is it a recent development?

Sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel or airflow through the idle circuit, start by confirming the cutoff solenoid clicks when you touch the power wire to it when the key is on, then unscrew the larger adjustment screw on the side out 2 turns and see how it runs, if it still needs choke unscrew the smaller screw 1 turn, once it sort of runs follow the mixture adjustment procedure in the manual to fine tune it.

If none of that works remove the solenoid, both adjustment screws and the idle jet and blow compressed air thorough all holes, then put it back together with both screws 1 1/2 turns out from bottomed and start again.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, removed adjustment screws, idle jet and cleaned everything and still the same problem. Runs good at start up and once I drive around 10-15 minutes the car dies when I come to an idle. Maybe time to take to an actual mechanic?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaymzD wrote:
ok, removed adjustment screws, idle jet and cleaned everything and still the same problem. Runs good at start up and once I drive around 10-15 minutes the car dies when I come to an idle. Maybe time to take to an actual mechanic?

Did you do busdaddy's test of the idle cutoff solenoid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure its not the case but have you double checked that the fuel filter is clean and flowing? Also, have you tested for vacuum leaks, especially around the throttle shaft? I had success once turning the idle jet out about a half a turn and locktiting it in place.
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure its not the case but have you double checked that the fuel filter is clean and flowing? Also, have you tested for vacuum leaks, especially around the throttle shaft? I had success once turning the idle jet out about a half a turn and locktiting it in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: