Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle adjust on 34 PICT-3 FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I checked the shut off, with ign on unplugged and plugged in and I did hear it click, I'll try backing out the idle jet a bit more. The things we do for your kids. I gave up on vw's nearly 20yrs ago, my daughter just HAD to have a bug lol
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum leaks can be very difficult to pin down. You can meticulously use many of the recommended methods to find them,
and still miss some. Recently I needed to remove and reattach a bunch of engine exterior components, and in doing so I
evidently fixed a vacuum leak I had, because the idle mixture in the reassembled engine was grossly over-rich, and I had touched
nothing on the carb that would affect that. So check again for vacuum leaks. And if that fails, you can try putting a pop rivet in
the hole in your throttle butterfly (notice I say THROTTLE butterfly, not CHOKE butterfly!)/

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that will cause dying at stops is the point gap being to small.
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the inline fuel filter is full while the the cars is warming up and it's nearly empty once the car's warmed up. Ah ha moment. So fuel pump? Also isn't there a filter in the fuel tank that can be cleaned?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaymzD wrote:
I noticed the inline fuel filter is full while the the cars is warming up and it's nearly empty once the car's warmed up. Ah ha moment. So fuel pump? Also isn't there a filter in the fuel tank that can be cleaned?

Engines use very little fuel when they idle, and a lot of fuel when accelerating and maintaining speed. So I'm going to say no to that one.

The level of fuel in the clear plastic filter is not a good indication of anything. The color can be helpful for seeing rust specs or chunks in the gas, but not much else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here's what I'm working with. 69 beetle, eng s/n B5189204 (1600 type2 bus? based on what I dug up on the internet) 009 distributor, 34 pict 3 carb. Everything I've been reading is that the 1600 with a 009 dist & 34pict3 are a tough combo. I'm no mechanic but have tinkered with bug in the past, but never with a 34pict3. would it serve me better to buy a stock carb for that engine model that will work better with the 009?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaymzD wrote:
ok here's what I'm working with. 69 beetle, eng s/n B5189204 (1600 type2 bus? based on what I dug up on the internet) 009 distributor, 34 pict 3 carb. Everything I've been reading is that the 1600 with a 009 dist & 34pict3 are a tough combo. I'm no mechanic but have tinkered with bug in the past, but never with a 34pict3. would it serve me better to buy a stock carb for that engine model that will work better with the 009?

That combo can work well enough to enjoy. If you rule out the other variables first, that is. Like the variable that's causing your lack of idle Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaymzD wrote:

Right before we headed to Florida a few weeks ago I noticed my 69 was running fine at idle but it had a stumble while driving, especially under acceleration. I got under and looked at the fuel filter-it didn't look very dirty. I changed it anyway and low and behold that was the problem. At idle it was full but during accleration you could see the level get low and have a hard time replenishing...
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jacked the car up and checked for a filter coming off the fuel tank and didn't see anything, Is there supposed to to be one there?
volksdoc67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: 34PICT3 question on idle problem Reply with quote

Quick question, carb won"t idle, performed all tips found in the forums, I'm a VW aircooled tech for 25 years and I am stumped with this, while engine is attempting to idle, looking down throat of carb, a lot of fuel is dripping down and as the fuel drips it relates how the engine idles which is terrible if it idles at all.

Any info is much appriciated
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dribbling gas at idle. Dirty float needle or seat, stuck float or leaky float. To much fuel pressure. That's all I have. It may help to list what you have checked.
Good luck
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The throttle plate could also not be fully closed which along with the other items would add to that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
19Frost71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1600dp with a 009 and 34pict 3, ( in a 71 bus) and it runs very well, but a bit hot.... I have been considering this dizzy.... http://www.busdepot.com/186504
I'm not a huge fan of electronic ignition, but I feel like I should have a diz with vacuum advance, anyone have experience with this combo?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19Frost71 wrote:
I have the 1600dp with a 009 and 34pict 3, ( in a 71 bus) and it runs very well, but a bit hot.... I have been considering this dizzy.... http://www.busdepot.com/186504
I'm not a huge fan of electronic ignition, but I feel like I should have a diz with vacuum advance, anyone have experience with this combo?

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-distributor-options/

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Distributors-Distr...amp;page=2
19Frost71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash with the quick draw links every time, thank you sir. I'm embarrassed I didn't think to look at aircooled.net , I got excellent information about carbs there before.
volksdoc67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: no idle 34PICT Reply with quote

thanks for the tips guys, throttle plate was hung up slightly, screws were loose
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the fuel pump malfunctioning? damn car still runs while choked but dies out once the choke butterfly is fully open. I've checked and double checked everything I can think of for Vac leaks. I'm really lost on this one.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you unscrew the larger screw on the side until it's a few threads from falling out does it run any differently?, does the sound change (sucking noises)?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
JaymzD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did that, yes there is a loud sucking noise but it still died. BUT once warmed up and I mess with the choke butterfly, not fully open but partially closed it runs????
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then turn the smaller screw on the side out a turn or two, once you get it to stay running follow the adjustment procedure in the Bentley.
If the little screw has no effect you'll have to clean out the idle circuit as there's something blocking it.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: