Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, Westy owners: What do you keep in each closet and why?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: So, Westy owners: What do you keep in each closet and why? Reply with quote

i know we all have our different ways of loading/living in our vans, so what do you keep where and why.

this is how i keep lucy, as it has worked well for the last 2 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1, this is mrs rubbachickens space, she keeps her womanly stuff in there, and first aid kit, books, shampoo's, soaps, etc

2, this is my shed, all fluids, some tools, glues, sealers, filters, tune up stuff, and anything that may get oily.

3, this is where we keep all the bedding, i recently added the extra door, hinged at the back, so i can get as the bedding easily, in there are 3 pillows, bed sheets for the top and bottom beds, 2 thick blankets, fuzzy blankets, and 3 smaller pillows, they all go in, in sequence so i can put the bed out easily.

4, flat dried foods, i hide chocolate in there for when mrs rubbachicken has a chocolate emergency.

5, canned food, boxed of pasta, bottles of pasta sauce etc, there's room for quite a bit if you are good at 3D tetriss Wink

6, the fridge is now long gone, big boxes of serial, potato chips go in the top, pots and pans, knife sharpener, 1lb propane cans and regulator for the gas grill are in the bottom.

7, the normal cutlery, scissors, lighter, and small stuffs are in there.

8, coffee { i have 5lbs of different flavors with me at all times, you never know when you might need a coffee;) sugar, tea, spices, cooking oils, larger cooking utensils, coffee cups, french press {polycarbonate = unbreakable Wink } coffee dripper and filters.

9, mrs rubbachickens wine cellar, and large containers for rice, extra sugar, extra propane cans.

on the cushion above the motor we each have an 18 gallon plastic tub for our clothes, there another tub for shows, a slab of bottled water {usually 35 bottles} a tub of fishing stuff, 3 reels, and all other necessary stuff, two fold away chairs, a fold away canopy, a bag for swim stuff, diving masks, snorkels, wetsuits, beach blankets, our hammock etc, under the cushion there's another chopping board for killing gutting fish on, and a plywood shield for the gas grill, that doubles as a bead head, for when we have the back door locked open slightly at night, with just the bug net up our pillows used to fall out the bottom of the net, with the plywood bed head in there on the outside of the bug net it's much nicer.

under closet #2 & 3 i keep cover alls, and wooden leveling blocks.

in the top shelves in the back more tools, jack, rags, gloves, wooden chicks,spare belts, spare fuel lines, some tools.

under the back seat, left side by the sliding door, tool box, cordless drill box, more loose bigger tools {torque wrench, breaker bars etc} work clothes, in the middle, lap tops etc, on the other side is where the aux battery and relay lives, and fuse box, spare bulbs, spare fuses etc.

on the table there's 3 boxes, pills ad potions, tooth brushes, a bottle of water for night, on the spice rack above, other various cooking needs, ziplock bags, aluminum foil, glad wrap and tums.

monkey lives in the hammock, there's a fly swat in there, and other light stuff, under the table on top of the closets there's a thin thin chopping board, and at the back of the table arm i keep a grabber for picking up trash, when we stop places i go around and pick up all the trash, as i don't like looking at it.

under my seat is where the inverter lives, and a few cables, behind the passenger seat i have a plug in cooler and a 5 gallon water cooler bottle for drinking water, as we don't drink for the on board water without boiling it first.

in the tub on the front above the cab, we have a hydraulic floor jack, 2x axle stands, a 2 gallon spare gas can, gas grill, 6" tube for fishing poles, a tarp, a hose pipe for fill the water tank

in the engine compartment where the 1.9 ecu was, i keep a spare starter, alternator and distributor.

all in all lucy weighs in at around 5300 lbs

there's one more space i've not yet been able to figure a decent way into yet, and that's above closet #3, it's not huge, but it grieves me not to be able to make use of the space.

i have a 12" fan for night time for when it's hot, it hangs from the pop top bar, for use either upstairs or downstairs.

come bed time, everything over the engine piles up behind the front seats and on top of the stove / sink, leaving the front seats bare, making it less obvious that we might be asleep in there.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BitterBeerFace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: hand towels, front curtain, paper plates/cups, plastic bowls. Also empty tupperwares, etc.

2: rear screen, spare parts (I carry more than probably most), extra paper towels, toilet paper, etc (whatever fits)

3: big bulky stuff, usually bedding and clothes, last trip I crammed my hubcaps in there, etc Smile Also a spot to stash laptop and charger out of sight.

4: Travel books, maps, some food

5: More food

6: Fridge, if not using fridge to cool stuff, breads

7: Cutlery

8: Pots, cereal, 2 liter jugs of water

9: junk... 12V compressor, some tools, flashlight, etc.

10: (under bench seat) Big tool box, oil, electric cords, trouble light (120V), broom, shovel, etc.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

There is already a thread about this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428885&highlight=clutter

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Nice

There is already a thread about this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428885&highlight=clutter

Maybe, but I like Rubbachickens specific numbering of the cabinets.

Wife brings her stuff in an overnight bag when she comes, she cannot plan ahead to keep stuff packed in van.

1. Clothes for Chef and Lil Chef.
2. Oh shit kit, curtains, bug screens, ratchet and socket kit, beach towels. Sheets, couple Delta blankets and plastic tarp in case I need to crawl under
3. We still have the closet - there resides a fleece for Chef and Lil Chef, a small insulated back pack on bottom, extra blanket, couple larger Lil Chef toys, gore tex shell for Chef and Mrs Chef, space to hang shirts
4. Lil Chefs toy box - stuff that stays in van for Lil Chef amusement
5. Toiletries, bug spray, flashlights, first aid, electrical connectors
6. Refrigerator gone, three adjustable shelves installed- this is food pantry
7. Silverware drawer, fire sticks, corkscrew, water filler quick release,
8. Wine glasses, service pieces (plates, mugs, bowls), condiments, culinary items, battery maintainer, caffeine, wine / port, small humidor for 5 cigars
9. Paper products, cleaning bottles, disinfecting wipes, TP

Under back seat - pots and pans, solar lights, tool bag, jumper cables, jack, extension cord, reusable shopping bags

Pillows live in upper bed, towards rear. Keep a new tarp and folding campfire grate up there too.

Cutlery is on a magnet strip above sink bowl.

Space above 2&3 - I took out the separator so a waterproof sack for laundry, folding road triangle, 12 foot quick disconnect propane line reside up there. Space accessible by opening hatch - fire starters, extendable lug wrench, jack,
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too
1. Most dry groceries
2. Rags, Towels, Bentley, star charts, binoculars, screen for back hatch
3. Usually all clothes, sometimes other things are put in the bottom, depending on trip
4. Folding dishpan and drainer and trash bags
5. Paper plates and cups, napkins, chips, bread and fruit
6. Working and used refrigerator
7. Cutlery, grater and most knives
8. Dishes, folding toaster, tea pot and coffee cone, cutting boards and bigger knife & spatula, nesting pots & pans, few collapsible bowls and dish soap. It all fits.
9. Taller boxes and bottles, bags

Spice rack is divided into medicine chest and first aid type stuff near the back, spices and small kitchen stuff toward the front. toilet paper roll just fits, soap, bug repellant, matches, etc...

Under seat jack, spare parts, hose and electrical cord, tool box, rear tent, folding shovel, some shoes. Occasionally the Cobb grill or lynx leveler bag.

Foam pad, blankets folding table and extra curtains go up under pop top

Umbrellas, batteries and a few more parts go on shelf at top of back hatch behind 1, under cabinets by engine hatch, bottle of oil, large wrench, a rag or two.

With the exception of fresh food, clothes, extra water and a few toiletries, this stuff stays in its place.

Small ice chest and potty ride on the floor and extra clothes bag, folding chairs, pillows, guitar, a milk crate with last minute things go behind back seat.
Sometimes we bring an extra water jug, on the floor next to ice chest.

I like to have everything stowed and stashed and travel with a tidy van, my husband likes to toss thing in at the last minute.

When we take our 2 big dogs, van is filled with dogs, one plastic crate, goes in front of sink/fridge cabinet, one dog rides in there, one folding crate under the rear cushion, one dog on back seat. Food, bowls and leashes in milk crater in back.

Under drivers sear, maps, flashlights and, Depending on where we are going, a small gun
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post to the above referenced thread.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Please post to the above referenced thread.

As much as I dislike redundancy: That thread is specifically for info regarding packing accessories (bags, bins, totes, etc.) to aid in reducing clutter floating around the van, any van. This topic is about who packs what where in the factory Westy cabinets. The other useful thread shouldn't be cluttered up with this topic's info... IMHO ("madspaniard" realized this too after the lock, and PM'd me about it). Agree? Yes, no?

For me:
1. No cabinet Sad ; that's the A/C. Very Happy Shelf in the back: Tarp and poles (for driver's side awning... yet to use).

2. Rainfly; BD awning enclosure; door/window screens; van cleaning towels & spray bottle; box of bungees; awning LED lights.

3. Sleeping bag(s); fold-up picnic blanket; pillow(s); Thermarest (if Dad comes along).

4. Games; Ziploc bags; outdoor tablecloth; Westy table cloths; trash bags; TP.

5. Dry foods and drink mixes; plastic storage containers for leftovers.

6. Fridge: Eggs; drinks; snacks that will melt; salad dressings; bottled condiments (mustard, BBQ sauce, taco sauce, jelly, etc.); squeeze butter.

7. Utensils; scissors; stove lighting equipment; salt/pepper; chip clips; other misc. crap.

8. Cookware; dishes; Jetboil & its gas canister; toaster; hot beverages (tea, coffee, cocoa); spice container; oatmeal & sugar (if Dad comes along); cereal; napkins (wet and dry).

9. Snacks; bread; packaged condiments (peanut butter, ketchup, etc.).

10. Rear seat: Van fluids; paper towel roll (blue shop version for van work); jumper cables; tool box; air compressor; jack; Frisbee & collapsible bucket; camping box (fan battery packs, Flex hose -- as seen on TV!, extension cord, stakes, and a bunch of other camp-related crap).

Paper towel roll goes on front table arm. Cutting board is stored over sink. Dish towels & drying pad, soap, and sponge reside in sink when on the move. Pot holders get stored on the stove grate.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me like this thread, very informative and gives me ideas.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant thread, love the numbering scheme.

1) Dried goods, spare 1# propane canisters, napkins, Girl Scout Cookies, etc. Tray behind gets the jack, first aid kit, and some rope.
2) Bug screen, roll of TP (you never know if the next campsite will have it), a small parafoil kite, some small games, rain jackets, and a few books. This cabinet is woefully under-used.
3) Bedding - army surplus wool blanket, feather comforter, sheets, pillows.
4) Clothes for me
5) Clothes for her
6) Truckfridge. Bocce Ball set underneath the fridge.
7) Fire sticks, spices (salt/pepper/rosemary/etc.), some small cooking utensils.
8) Cutting boards, skillet, cups (coffee mugs & silicone wine glasses) tupperware container with cutlery/knives/scissors. A jetboil for fast water boiling.
9) Fluids for the car (oil, coolant) and fluids for us (wine, scotch).

Under seat: batteries, tools, spare parts.

Space below #2 gets the Bentley.

In the sink while travelling: Pots/Pans.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must think differently from everyone else. I put the pots/pans/dishes/trash bags/sandwich bags, cutting board, first aid, binoculars, candles, coffee pot, strainer, and funnel in 4 & 5. I put all the food in 8. Hmmmm. How do you get a cereal box in 4 or 5? I guess you could put it in a bag. I guess when you are making a meal it would be easy to grab what food items you need out of 4 and 5, but all the pots and pans and dishes would still be down there in 8. Hmmmm. But, if I move things around now after 7 years of use, I'll be opening the wrong door all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nwester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodknock wrote:
I must think differently from everyone else. I put the pots/pans/dishes/trash bags/sandwich bags, cutting board, first aid, binoculars, candles, coffee pot, strainer, and funnel in 4 & 5. I put all the food in 8. Hmmmm. How do you get a cereal box in 4 or 5? I guess you could put it in a bag. I guess when you are making a meal it would be easy to grab what food items you need out of 4 and 5, but all the pots and pans and dishes would still be down there in 8. Hmmmm. But, if I move things around now after 7 years of use, I'll be opening the wrong door all the time.

I'm with you on this...plates, cups, mugs, wine glasses, martini glasses and shaker and various like items in one bin, then pots/pans, coffee pot, tea kettle, tea pot, pressure cooler and steamer basket in the other bin. Food items and gallon containers of bottled water are stored in #8. I've done it this way for years and am very happy with it.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spare parts in the rear (near the engine bay, right?)

tow straps, etc. - same

heavy stuff like tools, jacks, etc. under the seat

food & utensils near the stove

pillows, etc. in cabinet

- i.e. put stuff [1] near where it is to be used; [2] heavy stuff low & light wt. stuff high
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with jackets and clothing under the rear bench. If you cover the engine control unit metal box vent holes it will get too hot and fail. I keep that right side around the ECU open for air flow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a vid of a family of 4 packing for a 10 month trip.

Link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave the rear table at home all of the time. This allows easy full time access to cabinets 4 and 5. If we are really going to eat inside the van we use the front table. It's so nice outside though...

I use cabinet 4 and 5 all the time, #4 has hot pads, table cloth, drying towel sponges and scrub brush. #5 has all the pots and pans, cutting board, and a few non disposable plates and bowls

Just a regular guy
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Westy closet organization? Reply with quote

I just finished up a trip through the CA redwoods where I spent many cups of tea staring at the closet. I love that there is room for hanging clothes, as that is an efficient way to store some clothes. But that closet is deep, quite the black hole and a bit of a pain to rummage through.

Anybody have a brilliant idea about how to organize that cavern?

I like the recent thread on security where it was recommended to store valuables there because no thief will figure out how to get the rear table out of the way!
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't drink, alcohol & it's stuff frees up a big space.rosemary-no, no front table yet, a deep basket for anything going in bottom of closet so it all easy to get to (ha).outside is a fold uppicnic style table for 4 if needed, really compact when folded, on its end behind driver, me, if outta use.1 100w solar cell/long cable so it's faced to sun if i take along,panel just stores above. Today bought last (?)led light i needed to replace florescent one. Some empty space yet, not much, never have correct stuff 2 times in a row, like the weather, always changing. Only thing now is the weather, don't go in cold like i used to long before a westy, just come on spring. No animals go along too much hassle, only have a cat, an outside, very cranky, was wild & adopted us.
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Frisbee, travel games, flat cookware, books (cook books, outdoor related books), compact umbrella, clothes pins, clothes line.
2. Blankets. Clothes in packing cubes. Light coats.
3. Have added shelves. In the bottom are spare parts and tools and some fluids. First level has lantern, fans, cup holder for back seat, treking poles. Second shelf clothing for wife, and toiletries. Third level whater else. Two spice racks on door.
4&5. Plates, mixing bowls, utinsels, cooking ware, dish strainer, wash clothes and towels.
6. Fridge
7. Knives, lighters, small stuff
8. Pantry, pots and pans
9. Heater, plug strip, bug spray, broom dust pan, sun screen, clock, cleaning supplies
10. Under seat. Two dutch ovens, hatch shelter, screen for awning, tool in space uner ashtray, antifreeze, electric cords, griddle, fry pans,
11. Rear shelves from hatch. Front curtain, bug screen, flip flops
12. Rear space under cabinet. Tools in wooden boxes.
13. Storage cabinet behind Passenger seat. Clothes, food, misc.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Towels, raincoats, hi-vis stuff, warning triangle - anything I might need to grab straightaway if we break down without unbelting the kids
2. Tools, paper towels, torch, wheel chocks, insect nets, ground blankets
3. Swimming gear, football, inflatable mats, coats.
4 & 5 Provisions - tins, dry food, etc. We need the rear table so these are a pain to access
6. Fridge - food
7. Cutlery
8. Pans, utensils, some food.
9. Cleaning stuff, wipes, refuse bags
10. Below bench seat - jack, more tools, awning stuff, hook up cable
11. Behind rear seat - Food boxes, socket set, clothes, walking boots etc in big bag

Hightop specific
12. (Over cab) - Games, books, sketchbooks, first aid kit, wash bags, more torches, windscreen cover.
13. (High top bed) - Blankets, sleeping bags, folding table, folding ladder

The stuff at the back and upstairs gets put into the cab for sleeping
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So, Westy owners: What do you keep in each closet and wh Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:

there's one more space i've not yet been able to figure a decent way into yet, and that's above closet #3, it's not huge, but it grieves me not to be able to make use of the space.

that space seems to be nearly square in cross-section and long

you could knock the filler panel out - it's near the rear hatch, but what would you store there?

umbrellas, long rubber coolant hoses?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: