Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"FantomWorks"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
He an ex navy officer this town full of ex brass so the skys the limit hes banking on the chance that he wont get blue color customer in his shop and his over head very high theres same quality shop in norflok area at a better cost your paying for his ego and knowledge that he earned from the navy thats all

Mark Tucker, is that you?

Get with it, square. Punctuation, grammar and spelling are so 20th century.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
He an ex navy officer this town full of ex brass so the skys the limit hes banking on the chance that he wont get blue color customer in his shop and his over head very high theres same quality shop in norflok area at a better cost your paying for his ego and knowledge that he earned from the navy thats all

"I can speel wright 90 percent of the time....but my fingers cant" -Mark Tucker
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Velocity is littered with horseshit TV overdrama scripted BS shows now, and they are ALL THE SAME. That's right, they're all THE SAME SHOW, they just change the title 50 times. Bitchin Rides Junkyard Cars Graveyard Carz Fantomworks Monster Garage Dallas Car Sharks Counting Cars blah blah blah

Act 1: Find a car that needs fixing and pretend there's some tight deadline that doesn't really exist
Act 2: Throw a bunch of scripted drama into the mix that makes the people on the show look like complete morons, sometimes related to the car fix itself but most of the time make it personal crap that has nothing to do with the car repair
Act 3: Get the car done JUST before the deadline, much to the relief of everyone involved. Lather rinse repeat.

This is why Wheeler Dealers is the ONLY watchable show on Velocity any longer, although the producers are doing their best to try to ruin that show too by forcing Mike and Edd to bicker at each other for no reason. I miss the old Wheeler Dealer days where Edd just ad libbed into the camera and spray canned a Porsche 911 fender Smile

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Ditto on that, I DVR all those car shows. Chasing Cars is my #1 favorite, can't get enough of the barn finds and the cranky senior mechanic who can get anything running. He is pulling in good TV dough right now, I just don't see how his guys work out of that crampy shop.

I also record all of the Mecum and Barrett car auctions. Thanks to my DVR I can watch a 4-hour auction in just over an hour. Too many cars that I am not interested in and the amount of commercials is crazy.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I'll ditto that,

Dang man, I don't know what language this is, but speak English!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Velocity is littered with horseshit TV overdrama scripted BS shows now, and they are ALL THE SAME. That's right, they're all THE SAME SHOW, they just change the title 50 times. Bitchin Rides Junkyard Cars Graveyard Carz Fantomworks Monster Garage Dallas Car Sharks Counting Cars blah blah blah

Act 1: Find a car that needs fixing and pretend there's some tight deadline that doesn't really exist
Act 2: Throw a bunch of scripted drama into the mix that makes the people on the show look like complete morons, sometimes related to the car fix itself but most of the time make it personal crap that has nothing to do with the car repair
Act 3: Get the car done JUST before the deadline, much to the relief of everyone involved. Lather rinse repeat.

This is why Wheeler Dealers is the ONLY watchable show on Velocity any longer, although the producers are doing their best to try to ruin that show too by forcing Mike and Edd to bicker at each other for no reason. I miss the old Wheeler Dealer days where Edd just ad libbed into the camera and spray canned a Porsche 911 fender Smile

Basically, we can thank OCC for that. After the first few shows, when the newness factor wore off, it became completely unwatchable.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Agree that all the shows are bogus. Also like wheeler dealers. Enjoy Eds mechanical explanations. Don't like Chasing CC. Seems too greedy. It's always about the flip or huge profit.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

I generally just take these shows for what they are worth... just a semi-generic product for the masses. I try not to get all worked up over it... just smile and move on.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Fantomworks is simply unwatchable with Dan leading the charge. His constant exasperated looks, drama, ego and eye rolls.. His drama filled brake application checks "3-2-1"..

He must be the narcissist that he comes across as on TV. His employee turnover is off the charts. I watched a few episodes of season 1. Then a couple of the last season. I don't think any of the employee's from season 1 are still working there. That in itself speaks to Dan's character and leadership.

Dan reminds me of that ego maniac Will Hayden on "Son's of Guns. That show was unwatchable for the same reasons. Ironic that Will turned out to be a pedifile.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Agree that all the shows are bogus. Also like wheeler dealers. Enjoy Eds mechanical explanations. Don't like Chasing CC. Seems too greedy. It's always about the flip or huge profit.

While Chasing Classic cars is on the high end, it gives me the opportunity to see something other than Muscle cars and low riders. I can't stand cars that are customs, but I like scratch build hot rods or cars in general. Most of the Coddington, Foose etc. cars are modified production cars, cars that were originally designed by people who were more experienced and have more knowledge of esthetic's and design. If the custom builders mentioned are so good they should be designing their own cars, not modifying someone else's design. That's why I like it when Carini goes and has a car built by a master craftsman from the ground up and Steve Mole is that kind person. Also you will get a chance to see more of the true classic cars, by that I mean cars that are recognized by the Classic Car Club of America. A 70 LS6 Chevelle is NOT a Classic car! It is a Antique car though, unless it's been modified and then it would be a nice old used car.
Getting back to Rodger. Rodger must be in his 80's and seeing him crawl around or scooting around on a creeper makes my bones ache. He must really love what he does. I suppose he just wants to die someday working under a V16 Cadillac. Wayne will find him there with one hand with a wrench and the other hand over his heart and a drop of oil on his forehead gone to never never land !
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

I don't remember ever seeing Wayne Carrini have a vehicle built from scratch for him-- mostly he's at high dollar auctions and car shows. The only reason I didn't include Chasing Classic Cars in my list is because it is formatted differently from all the other shows in that he is not really "racing a deadline" or "in-fighting with his crew" or any of that other silliness. I think he too is a bit ego-driven, but I can't pretend to know what it's like to have that kind of dough to deal in classic cars like he does, so I just figure you have to be like that to succeed. And to the point above, I find the cars he deals in far more interesting.
I put Wheeler Dealers--at least up until recently-- and Top Gear (the Clarskon/May/Hammond era) at the top of my list of car shows, albeit for completely different reasons (WD educational and informative, TG pure entertainment.)
Mighty Car Mods is kind of an eclectic mix between those two shows, I highly enjoy it as well.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I don't remember ever seeing Wayne Carrini have a vehicle built from scratch for him-- mostly he's at high dollar auctions and car shows. The only reason I didn't include Chasing Classic Cars in my list is because it is formatted differently from all the other shows in that he is not really "racing a deadline" or "in-fighting with his crew" or any of that other silliness. I think he too is a bit ego-driven, but I can't pretend to know what it's like to have that kind of dough to deal in classic cars like he does, so I just figure you have to be like that to succeed. And to the point above, I find the cars he deals in far more interesting.
I put Wheeler Dealers--at least up until recently-- and Top Gear (the Clarskon/May/Hammond era) at the top of my list of car shows, albeit for completely different reasons (WD educational and informative, TG pure entertainment.)
Mighty Car Mods is kind of an eclectic mix between those two shows, I highly enjoy it as well.

Here you go:
A Custom Surprise for Wayne Carini - YouTube

Video for wayne carini moal car▶ 3:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yMrEL7jgQ
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

The best car show I have ever seen was Victory by design. Only lasted until the type of cars covered ran out. Porsche, Jag, Ferrari, etc. Show wasn't about building or restoring cars, but rather testing of restored examples and the history that went with the cars. The show was on the original SPEED VISION, which like many other shows today was bought out by non car productions and turned it into the Speed channel and ran it into the ground by changing it format. This has also happen to DIY with all the good home remodeling and gardening shows that are no longer. Those shows of yester year took you on a project and showed the how to instead of projects today that projects miraculously appear finished. They never tell you how to DIY at all. There is only one remodeling show that has stood the test of time, and it has my respect for some of the best craftsmen. That show is PBS's This Old House.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Fantomworks is simply unwatchable with Dan leading the charge. His constant exasperated looks, drama, ego and eye rolls.. His drama filled brake application checks "3-2-1"..

He must be the narcissist that he comes across as on TV. His employee turnover is off the charts. I watched a few episodes of season 1. Then a couple of the last season. I don't think any of the employee's from season 1 are still working there. That in itself speaks to Dan's character and leadership.

Dan reminds me of that ego maniac Will Hayden on "Son's of Guns. That show was unwatchable for the same reasons. Ironic that Will turned out to be a pedifile.

X2. I watch about all of the car related shows hokey or not, but I can't watch this guy. Tool.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

X2. I watch about all of the car related shows hokey or not, but I can't watch this guy. Tool.

The other one that bothered me was the Graveyard Cars. The Mopar expert cracks me up with this bad ass attitude and camera shadow boxing dance. He is the perfect guy to get in the ring with because he telegraphs so well you can almost read him before he telegraphs a punch. I just don't like that kind of attitude on TV.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

Not only do the shows all seem alike--they all find the same friggen cars: Mustang, Charger, GTO, Continental with suicide doors--Someone do a Gremlin or a Datsun or a big Pontiac!! Something more interesting please! And yeah enough with the fake drama!
Actually--maybe an Office like sitcom should be made Rolling Eyes
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Ni80v6w-o

Victory by Design as mentioned above is a much better usage of free time than that crap Fantomdroolworks. I have the DVD and run the surround sound and bass up to 11 when the wife is out of the house for the test runs that Alain does with great POV camera shots and long winding roads.

What is it with these cue card reading reality shows? There was better acting on the Golden Girls. The scripted verse and totally pseudo scenarios make watching unbearable.

Wheeler Dealers is good but yes the new ones are getting awkward.

Adam from Gas Monkey should just get his own show bc that other guy is way too slick.

Praise the lord for DVR...

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

OMG the one show that trips my trigger is the ones where the guys all have these beards. Man what is growing in those things or what will crawl out of them. My wife says that they are all fugly. Its like who can grow the ugliest one.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
OMG the one show that trips my trigger is the ones where the guys all have these beards. Man what is growing in those things or what will crawl out of them. My wife says that they are all fugly. Its like who can grow the ugliest one.

Ever seen one of those long beards or long hair get caught in a lathe? How about a flame-out while welding? Hate to think what you could make of one of those guys in a fight, especially the ones with ear rings and nose rings, and I don't care how big and tough they look they go down. Farmers know this and the first thing a young bull calf gets is a nose ring.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: "FantomWorks" Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

Gas Monkey Garage?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: