Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention the fans didn't come on but I got up to 205 on a long grade going 75 mph. Oil temps were about 230.

Tristessa/Dan are you checking oil temps as well?

C

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a oil/H2o cooler on the filter block and I run 15/50 synthetic oil (napa brand when on sale for $3.50/qt)
only time I had oil troubles was on NY to FL trip (before the owing bit) we drove it too hard for a day in Virginia & north carolina.

really these are very forgiving engines and I still don't feel a need to monitor oil temps if the pressure and water temps are staying where they belong.

your water temps will likely be fine.

the stock redline for that motor is 6500-7000 in the jetta.
I run a Vanagon tach that redlines at 5500-6000 and don't really pull it up past 5k unless it's really needed.
but I spend ALOT of time 4000-4500 rpms in my 3rd gear that's 64mph.
the vanagon aircooled trans is geared really high and I have 205/70/15 nokians this year that hurt my horsepower to 4th gear ratios. little power below 4000rpms at all in 4th.
I can only run 4th now if I'm maintaining 70+mph
guess I could tweak ign timing and bump a Octane grade.

but I'm going to toss in a Mtn geared trans (Diesel) as I use this mostly in the Mtns and for towing/hauling schtuff anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of the VW 8v inlines are you keep oil in it and flog the hell out of it and it'll still run forever.

I want to say factory redline was always 6200. I wouldn't take a stock 8v head to 7k. With HD valve springs - sure.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what the oil temps are. Coolant temps are good, hot-idle oil pressure is 20PSI and shoots right up with when the engine revs. I'm running Chevron Delo400 15W40 diesel oil, have an external stacked-plate oil cooler with a Wahler/Volvo thermostatic sandwich plate that starts opening at 160F and fully open by 180F if I remember the specs right.

Gotta get back to work, breaktime is over...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the water level (float) light would be more important to alert of a loss of coolant over a oil temperature gauge.
coolant temperature gauges do not indicate a loss of coolant, only once it's all gone to steam (steam is 212* and reads fine on a temp gauge)

it's far more important in any of my converted engine installs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this install. As some here know, I have a 1.8 in my 76 Bus, with some of the same quirks- the resonance/ harmonic noise in a very narrow RPM range- it goes away if I drive faster.....I think it would be difficult to fully remove it, but I am no vibration expert.
The water temps you describe sound close to mine, but my HUGE, GM radiator under the floor keeps it quite tolerable. My fans do not run at all at highway speed with my present setup, but ran continuously when I had my smaller radiator in the rear engine lid hole. It is not a good idea to rely solely on the fan(s) to cool the engine, hence my personal vote for a floor mounted radiator.
I have a real heater now, up front. Try it some time. Wink
I just pulled my Bus out of winter storage 4 days ago........I've been busy... Embarassed
I love these threads!
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really clean job, congratulations!

Comments: The radiator setup is tricky. People told me it was about using the high->low pressure to force air through the radiators.

I listened somewhat -- my radiators are tilted down at the front and somewhat sealed up on the sides so that air is pushed through.

I also have two radiators which means my system can be less efficient and still work and I have a diesel which throws off less heat.

The final test is a nice 10 mile up-hill in 100*F weather. If you can do that and stay < 200*F then you're looking good.

Good luck!
Mark
BigDan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

I know this subject is 3 years old ....

we plan to install a 1.8T (2003) in a 79 Bay...

I read Tristessa say we need a mexican beelhousing besides the kennedy adapter to clear the gas tank compartment ....

But sloride, you dint seeem to use this sort of bellhousing ,,,,
did you move the transmission backwards to obtain enough space ?

reason to ask is that today we tried to get the engine in there ....it wont clear the gas tank panel

thanks

Daniel ,qc
86 CJ JEEP modded ,4.0L 230 hp , AX-15, dana`s 44 ,tera lo , 4:10`s .....
84 resto mod cutlass ....350 LT1, 700R4, ford 9" dropped 2" ,4 wheels disc brakes ....
lots of toys !
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Bigdan,

Yes the thread is old but all is well with the motor. I guess that's what happens when you do a swap. I will have an update but it's not motor related. I am picking the bus up from the paint shop on Friday. I did a strip to bare metal respray.

I'm not sure what the issue is. I was told the 1.8t block is the same length as the 1.8 that I used. I know the Vanagon guys are using the 1.8t without clearance issues. I used a 091 transmission with the 3 rib bellhousing and a Kennedy adapter plate.

I seem to recall the mex bellhousing as being shorter than the 3 rib and the 091.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Great thread thank you!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Enjoying the workmanship and thread immensely.

It not uncommon to find stones in your fuel tank - probably an earlier owner was told his fuel was too low roctane and thought of a clever fix.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

You do not need the Mexican bellhousing AND an adapter plate. You need one or the other.

The Mexican bellhousing is deeper than a standard bellhousing. (This is opposite what was said a few posts up.) I don't know for sure how much deeper it is than a standard bellhousing + adapter but I believe it is at least a little deeper.

The Mexican bellhousing will bolt up with an 091 transmission for sure, and since I believe the bellhousings are swappable, that should mean it would go onto an earlier transmission too.

If you use the Mexican bellhousing, you'll want to have the matching flywheel as it has a bit of a "snout" that pushes it away from the motor and deeper into the bellhousing. Additionally, because of this, you'll need the longer Mexican input shaft to the transmission to match it all.

Source: I used a Mexican bellhousing and all the accouterments to mount my TDI to my 091 in my '78

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
not sure what the issue is. I was told the 1.8t block is the same length as the 1.8 that I used.

It's the head that's the issue with the 1.8t -- the head itself is longer where the cams are, and the coolant flange sticks out even farther. And unlike the flange on the counterflow 1.8 head, we can't block it off .. it feeds the radiator.

I had to remove the firewall / gas tank panel for the engine to fit even with the port on the end of the head blcked off, but that's with a 002 transmission & bell housing. I'm worried about having clearance problems at the gas tank seam with the new 1.8t going in, but until I get the tank back in and the drive train in position I just don't know...
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

Love your second line - great to hear as we are set for a swap in the spring! (Subie 2.5 and SubaruGears though)

We are starting to have a need for some paint work though. Would love to hear about your experience and where you went. No full blown respray in the cards for us - perhaps the front more fully, but mostly just spot treatment.

Hope your dazzled when you pick the bus up tomorrow!
Paul

Sloride wrote:
Bigdan,

Yes the thread is old but all is well with the motor. I guess that's what happens when you do a swap. I will have an update but it's not motor related. I am picking the bus up from the paint shop on Friday. I did a strip to bare metal respray.

I'm not sure what the issue is. I was told the 1.8t block is the same length as the 1.8 that I used. I know the Vanagon guys are using the 1.8t without clearance issues. I used a 091 transmission with the 3 rib bellhousing and a Kennedy adapter plate.

I seem to recall the mex bellhousing as being shorter than the 3 rib and the 091.

Craig

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Subaru in a bus. may as well buy a Toyota

Twisted Evil

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Honda. You meet the nicest people in a Honda
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Anyone calls it a Kia... they will get kicked in the nuts! Shocked
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Let's get this back on topic. Here is a picture from the last road trip we took in the bus. It was in Burlington, Vermont at burton snowboards. We were on a way back from our annual trip to Wells, Maine. That was in August 2015.

Wasn't long after I started the strip down to bare metal. Will post pictures of it later. Man do I miss my bus. Having two kids play competitive basketball and I coach one of them leaves little garage time. Ten games this weekend between the two of them. My goal is hoping to have the bus back together before June.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Most people including my friends thought I was nuts for stripping the bus down. The paint still looked great but it was starting to get the tell tale signs of rust forming under the window rubbers and a couple of small holes in the driver's rocker. Besides why have a bus if you are not wrenching on it. Last time I painted the bus was over 15 years ago and at the time I didn't remove the glass. This time it was going to be done right.

So in the fall of 2015 I started in.

And of course none of this could be done without theses two guys helping me out.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-mortem - a water-cooled conversion in a 1972 Reply with quote

Here is some of the rust that I had to deal with. While the rocker looked solid from the outside I decided to cut it out and I'm glad I did. The inside was all rusty and nothing worse than a new paint job and having a rust spot come through a couple months later. I'm sure all of this was because of the rear vent window leaking. Rusted the outer edge of floor as well.

If you look carefully at rear wheel well you can see the repair that was done 15 years ago. It was a piece of metal welded over the rusted piece. I always say if you want it done right you got to do it yourself. I cut it out and replaced with gerson panel. Cleaned and por15 everything I could. Weld through primer where required.

These gerson panels fit well. Found the top piece just a shade too short. I split the difference and welded it up.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

Last edited by Sloride on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: