Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone own other small RVs?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Anyone own other small RVs? Reply with quote

I shouldn't admit my unfaithfulness, especially here....

After I drove to LA and back in the Westy, I enjoyed it so much that I talked my husband into planning the next stage of our life (retirement) around a lot of traveling. Well, as we have two large dogs, and my husband just can't pack light, we started thinking seriously about a small RV.

We have been looking at different options, sort of out of idle curiosity. I just couldn't see the price and/or the gas mileage of any of them. Then, last week i spotted a toyota dolphin for sale nearby. It was a steal and in really good condition, so we are now owners of two little RVs.

Won't be selling my Westy, but I am finding a lot to like about the layout of this other little cabin on wheels.

It feels silly to have two.
Does anyone else here have such a thing?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Sprinter based Winnebagos.

I just can not justify the cost of one.

I drive my vans when and where I please.

Most of the little RVs are ill suited for just sort of driving around.

My neighbor picked up a Dodge Tradesman based class C cheap.

But buy cheap, get cheap; that thing needs so much upkeep but the parts are easy to buy.

It gets really bad mileage, but for $5000 it is not a bad start.

Look in Craigslist.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we already bought it.
It is an 84 with 34,000 miles. They are very well thought out with lots of usable space and features. About 3' longer than the Westy. It has a 4 cyl, 4 speed manual tran and I'm sure wont go faster, maybe even as fast.

I looked at a few rialtas, but like this better. It's dorky, never will be as cool as the Westy, but these toyotas have a pretty enthusiastic bunch of owners and I'm beginning to understand why.

Love the Westy best though.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear axles are a major weakness in the old Toyota campers.
Putting 10 pounds of sugar in a five pound bag just didn't cut it!

When they go......... It's catastrophic! Get them checked out.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two Toyota Dolphins in the past and loved them. The A22 engines get very good mpg, and zip right along. You can't get into all of the campsites the Vanagon can, but almost. The roof AC is a life saver in the heat waves.

I've also owned big camping trailers. Now I'm back to the Vanagon camper and prefer it. More stealthy if you want to stay at Walmart, et al. I have no confidence in the WBX engines, so I'm doing a Bostig Conversion in the Fall.

Enjoy your two campers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as above, always heard good things about the dolphins. Just picked up a bigger one myself, and its a VW!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the 6 bolt axle, so good there.
I put all my kitchen stuff from the Westy into the dolphin, because we are going on a trial run and overnight today. I whispered "I love you best" with each load out.

All of it barely filled up one of many cabinets. This could be a good or bad thing. I don't want to travel with a bunch of junk.

The air cond., water heater, stove and oven all work. The kitchen sink and sink, potty and shower in the little bathroom work. The furnace appears to work. The lovely big dometic fridge doesn't work. The great big awning works and is very stable when extended.

Convenient, but It won't be camping.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never knew what it's called until now, but my in-laws have one of these. It's spacious on the inside compared to the Westy for sure.

We recently drove a VW TDi Spotswagon and began contemplating this in combo with a pop-up trailer like the A-Liner. In the end we still keep coming back to our Westy for driveabilty and overall function, not to mention the Vanagon community. So we decided to invest in it long term and go for another engine conversion instead. If I didn't have a spouse who loves the Westy as much as I do, I suppose the equation could be different.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt it was kind of silly having two Westies (and this still may be true). The plan being if ones down, run the other, repeat as needed, keep on restoring/improving each as I go along.

I've eyeballed pop top Toyota Chinooks and have considered that as a 2nd "RV" though most seem to be based on older Toyota's. Oh. Wait. My main Westy is an '81 !

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone own other small RVs? Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
I talked my husband into planning the next stage of our life (retirement) around a lot of traveling. Well, as we have two large dogs, and my husband just can't pack light

The more space you have....
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr8dm9Prkk&feature=fvwrel#/watch?v=Dcr8dm9Prkk&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In-laws also had a Toyota Chinook which they gave to us after we sold our first Westy ('85). It felt very cramped compared to the Westy and was really only designed for 2 people barely. Not much ground clearance either. We gave it back and bought our current '91 Westy within 3 months. We were grateful for the loaner but glad to be back in a Westy. The Westy layout really is a nice design.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Chinook for a little while almost 20 years ago. My wife an I owned a Toyota Dolphin for a few years. It was a nice enough rig. It was about as fast as an air-cooled westy and got 18mpg @60MPH. It was a challenge to go faster than that. My mTDI high top has WAYYY more power, a little less usable space (minus the bathroom), can park in a normal parking spot, do a u-turn in a normal width road and gets almost 30 MPG. There's no looking back for me at all. Going from my current rig to a Dolphin would be a downgrade. Going to a Chinook would be just silly.
Alaska-Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago we had a pop top Tiger by Provan Industries. It was built on a Chevy mini-van chassis. It did well on the highway with the low profile.

I just checked the Provan website and it seems that the newer models have evolved into a type of camper pickup.

But I'd rather have a split bus. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple yrs before i retired i had considered a bay camper( owned a '70 non camper at present) and came across a '74 class C on a chevy chassis. Was the shortest one i ever saw andwas made in Indiana. Re-furbed interior, painted outside also cab,no ac, crank our jalousy windows around complete rear 1/2.Propanr frig, shower bath,never tried to lite. But found it was too large and bulky 4 what i wanted, can't use to run around like the westy either. After discussion with 'the boss' i surprised my brother and his wife after they looked it over and sold it to him for $1.00.He is a survivor of agent orange in nam so we were happy to do so. Took quite awhile afteer 3wbx's to find a '88 westy, refurbed needed stuff as it sat for almost 2 yrs and after 3 yrs of driving it has been 100%,a keeper.To us the best 4 size u can get, now if it would stop raining for a couple days......
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Other RV Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Well we have two a Syncro and a 2WD westy. But when we need extra room we tow a 1948 Higgins tent trailer. Water tank, stove ,heater, and ice box. Has 2 beds, 16 inch tires, 1and1/2 inch ball. 65 years old it's cool. Yes it was made by the people that made the landing craft in WW 2. Very Happy

Higgins also made PT Boats. Cool
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we took a short shakedown trip in the "new" rig. I have to admit I liked it. Mostly the extra room and the hot water heater. The little shower bath combo was really nice too....oh and the huge easy to deploy awning.. The dolphin we found has the kitchen I the back, so no tight squeezes with me cooking and hubby and dad visiting in the "living room" bed super comfy, convenient and easy.

It is slow on hills, slower than my Westy. And it does not really feel like camping, but I must say it is nice.

It still needs a few things, including some carburetor work and seam sealing.

But I am driving my Westy from nm to tulsa this week or next. The best vehicle we have right now.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing a comparison. Westfalias don't have leaks, for the most part. Well, skylights leak, I guess. This old dolphin is plagued with leaks, been sealing the roof off and on since we got it. It's been raining a lot here, and while I'd never complain about the rain because we needed it SO desperately, it is a big issue. because there is a lot of old wood in the construction, and it rots closed up in there, leaks have to be fixed and rotten wood replaced. Ugh.

Yesterday I took the Westy to pick up new paneling for repairs to dolphin...
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our recent tri to Sequoia / Kings Canyon we met a couple who owned a 28'er version of this Lazy Daze.. old school RV manufacturer in CA.

I was impressed with fit and finish.

This 24'er with rear dinette/sleeping and wrap around windows looks very appealing for less-than-massive-rig, full-time RVing

Rear overhang is not bad and ground clearance was more than I expected from this F-chassis.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money the Toyota RV's can't be beat. I often see them with very low mileage as well. My favorite toyota RV's are the factory 4x4 ones. There are a few around Tahoe but are extremely rare.

[img]http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=506307&stc=1&d=1301364796[/img]
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these is parked near our house. Now, with three little ones, I'm liking it more and more, but I shudder to think of the cost Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: