Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52 Zwitter
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: 52 Zwitter Reply with quote

Hello I acquired this car and the plate in the front is not rusted really but the area with the chassis number stamped in is very hard to read the VIN tag. Has anyone got any tricks for bringing out the stamped-in numbers?

Update:
Gentlemen!! I give you 1-0422383!! Originally L90 Sand, now disco gold and primer!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple threads
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=262728
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169842
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a late reply here. Thank you Everett for those two posts. I read them and tried a few methods mentioned there (lemon juice soak, very mild bead blast, CLR). The numbers are just so faint I can barely make them out. I have not removed the plate as of yet as according to some posts it's against some law and once removed the black helicopters will fly over and I'll be sent to the pokey. Exclamation The plate is pretty damn clean now but those damn numbers I just can't make out. If I removed it would I be able to see them from the back of the plate? I know someone sells identical rivets so putting it back would be easy. Any other ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off the lights and use a flashlight, shine the light from the side, rays parallel with the plate, and sometimes you can make it out that way.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that also. Can faintly see something but not enough to be legible. I know the car is Dec of 52 by the body number. I can just about make out 042 the rest I can't see.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take a close up photo of the plate then enlarge it on your computer? Alternatively use a magnifying glass.

Have you tried doing a rubbing of the number - place a bit of paper over it then rub gently with a soft pencil and the numbers may show up more clearly on the paper.

just some thoughts.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the magnifying glass and the rubbing ideas. My camera is an older one and is not too great on closeups. Thank you for the ideas though.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
I tried the magnifying glass and the rubbing ideas. My camera is an older one and is not too great on closeups. Thank you for the ideas though.

Always happy to help. My vin plate is ina folder in a cupboard inside the house and the car is in storage about 8 miles away - if you have a source for the original rivets then why not remove the plate if that's going to help - can you check somewhere if your state will be ok with removing the plate as part of the restoration process? You'll need to remove it to paint the panel and you can also get it plated to stop further corrosion whilst it is off.

Good luck.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the best I can come up with for a picture. I'll be damned if I can make much out of it, maybe someone else can? I don't have any fancy photo editing software.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your problem Alan - There isn't much to go on...

Maybe it would be clearer from the back of the plate - no guarantee though.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with this quality of photo it's tough, there seems to be nothing to enhance. If you can get some better ones with different lighting conditions on different frames, maybe something?
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the macro function on the camera (a sign like a tulip/flower)
get the camera a bit back from the tag, and try to have a steady hand supporting it on the front apron.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a hold of maybe the only cooperative person in the Massachusetts DMV system! She said no problem on removing and reinstalling the VIN tag for the purpose of restoration. I emailed the fellow in Argentina who had the rivets, which I don't see the ad for anymore, to see if I can get some. I want to make sure I can get this thing legal before I continue the un-bastardizing process. Thanks for the photo tips guys! Heading back out there with the camera, it does have some kind of tulip looking setting. Will try that, I'm no Ansel Adams. Very Happy

*edit*
Ok here's what I've got:

Those were the best ones. Sorry for all the pictures. Why couldn't they stamp the chassis number as well as they stamped the damned body number??
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this one is beyond help, right? I just don't understand how the plate got so bad without the rest of the car rusting away.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impossible to read. maybe try the same by picturing the back and hopefully with some photo techniques you can get a mirror image.
good luck!
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I guess this one is beyond help, right? I just don't understand how the plate got so bad without the rest of the car rusting away.

Wow what the hell happened there? Was the trunk full of rock salt? On mine I have no idea what happened, the rest of the metal in the trunk is excellent but the plate sucks! Ok I'm getting the dremel tool and cutting some rivets.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen!! I give you 1-0422383!! Originally L90 Sand, now disco gold and primer!

Thanks very much to all who helped! The numbers were clean and crisp on the back of the plate and I can even reuse the old rivets! Very Happy
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news Smile
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessir it is! I sent off to VW for the birth certificate yesterday. If it were any other original color than beige I'd be happy though, I hate that color.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
Yessir it is! I sent off to VW for the birth certificate yesterday. If it were any other original color than beige I'd be happy though, I hate that color.

Dude,
You need an attitude adjustment/reorientation.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504264&highlight=beige
check out the second photo in the thread of the ragtop. I think the late splits/early ovals with the reversed two toned (dark inner) rims look sweet.
Go ahead tell me this isn't one beautiful beige split. But to each his/her own - maybe you'll get lucky and the BC will come back with some other colot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: