Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52 Zwitter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress-like occurrences!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Replaced the engine seal panel, whatever it's called. There was a later one hacked in there it turns out. Must have been for whatever speedy motor was in there once. Replaced the mangled, bondoed, hacked rear quarter extensions! Found a crusty original correct apron I'm fixing up.

And found a brilliant use for two holes that were crudely hacked into the upper dash! Razz
It's starting to resemble a (crappy) car again! How about the test spray of 1960 Indian red? I liked the color OR Urano Grey, a color on new Passats, as seen here:

I have a red 1954 interior I thought would look great with that color. That's all I have for now, tomorrow more grinding, cutting and welding! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
Progress-like occurrences!

Replaced the engine seal panel, whatever it's called. There was a later one hacked in there it turns out. Must have been for whatever speedy motor was in there once. Replaced the mangled, bondoed, hacked rear quarter extensions! Found a crusty original correct apron I'm fixing up.

And found a brilliant use for two holes that were crudely hacked into the upper dash! Razz
It's starting to resemble a (crappy) car again! How about the test spray of 1960 Indian red? I liked the color OR Urano Grey, a color on new Passats, as seen here:

I have a red 1954 interior I thought would look great with that color. That's all I have for now, tomorrow more grinding, cutting and welding! Very Happy

Looks like progress Alan; I vote Urano Grey. Idea
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alan,

It is good to see you are making progress on your Zwitter. I vote for the Gray also. Maybe it is because I have decided to go with L225 Jupiter Gray for my Zwitter. It is a standard color. Check it out here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=575316

Keep going, baby steps.

Bob
'63 OG 117
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I agree, Jupiter Gray is a very nice color also. I originally wanted that but the local place I get paint couldn't get the formula for some reason. Urano is an interesting color. Up close it has almost an Anthracite-ish look to it. Today I hope to finish the right rear section, patch up the left rear and weld the apron on. Has anyone got a right front quarter section by the front apron they'd want to part with? Mine has been badly butchered and replaced with this misshapen generic panel. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Extra dash holes Reply with quote

I'm adding a vote for grey as well, And I assume your kidding about not filling
in the Hacked holes in the upper dash. Keep chipping away, your making progress Alan.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Extra dash holes Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
I'm adding a vote for grey as well, And I assume your kidding about not filling
in the Hacked holes in the upper dash. Keep chipping away, your making progress Alan.

Yessir just kidding about the holes. It's my dumb warped humor again. The upper dash will be restored to as original condition!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no..... I notice that you've ditched the slick rear tires Evil or Very Mad
They must have been worn down to the thread doing so many burnouts on your driveway? Wink Or donuts...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love grey cars but personally would be tempted to go with the original colour.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rear slicks had to go! All the hole shots in the driveway killed them, not easy to do when you're just pushing the car! Ordinarily original color always for me too. But in this case it would be like driving an old 60's filing cabinet.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I worked on the very beaten and hammered rear apron for the car.

It doesn't look like much and it's not done yet, but this was toast. Why buy new when you can put a buttload of work into an original! This is the old one off Germanaire's car, same with the rear extensions. They should work out fine. Very Happy
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More work!

Did a base spray of the dash in grey. Then remembered I forgot to make two holes where I had to patch the dash from the ass hats who butchered it. But it's an idea how the color will look. Note the many ghost orbs.

This is obviously not a Zwitter hood but I had it in the back of my shed for many years and for the price it will do! I'll make it look the part, holes, support, etc. The upper portion here was paper thin and full of holes, I welded in new sections and made it all nice!

This quarter had been stoved in, drilled full of holes then loaded with nearly 1/4 of bondo. Ground it all down, pulled out dents, welded holes and made it nice! It almost looks like I know what I'm doing! Very Happy Okay now back to work, this is fun!
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming along - keep up the good work Smile

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the reply, didnt think anyone was reading, thanks Dave! Working like mad on this heap. Found a 53 hood which is trashed but has a few good parts I can swap on to mine and it will look correct. *edit* Nevermind the entire inner structure is different, boo.

Doing body work on the quarters, it's fun but getting it to not look like crap is tough.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an excellent deal on some old ribbed rear fenders which have numerous isues but are certainly repairable!

Then saw a guy on here parting out an oval, I asked how the rear fenders were, he said junk. I asked how the pressed sections were, he said some were good. So he sent me the useable ones which are seen here!

They're a bit rusty of course but after a sand blasting they will be perfect.

This will work out wonderfully! I have a total of 11 fenders for this car now.. Confused Must get more! Also working on smoothing the roof out, it is pretty beat, wish I could find a cheap 3 fold (haha)!
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I braved a monsoon, vicious bugs, lacerations and other things to get a front clip yesterday and removed this from it. Early front sections are danm near impossible to find.

The bottom is rough but that area on my car is very solid and rust free. So I will splice them together.

Hopefully I can make it look nice again.

I came across a junk right bullet fender with a few good sections left that I am using to repair my otherwise good fender. The headlight bucket is not too good though. Are the buckets on these fenders the same diameter and shape top to bottom? In other words can I use the top of one to repair the bottom of another? They look about the same to me. Thank you to anyone who can answer this!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of have the impression that all neglected beetles seem to have been painted in non original colors. So I vote for the OG color, or at least a color from the palette of that year. Somehow, all the beetle nuts have a feel for what colors are applicable for any year, some mysterious ESP effect or maybe they just read all the color charts?

The project is coming along great!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
I kind of have the impression that all neglected beetles seem to have been painted in non original colors. So I vote for the OG color, or at least a color from the palette of that year. Somehow, all the beetle nuts have a feel for what colors are applicable for any year, some mysterious ESP effect or maybe they just read all the color charts?

The project is coming along great!

Thanks! I generally agree, but am not fond of the original color. Other colors for this era are Black - need an arrow straight car for that, this isn't it. Azure blue is nice but looks too much like my previous car. Chestnut brown, nice color but not crazy about brown. There's Pastel Green which is pretty nice and an option!

Those are both under Pastel Green in the gallery, one is noticeably darker, which is more accurate?
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:

Those are both under Pastel Green in the gallery, one is noticeably darker, which is more accurate?

The upper one.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That figures, I liked the bottom one better.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on the right fender some more. I paid decent money for this thing, in retrospect I should have just tried to get my money back, it was pretty trashed. The headlight area was wasted in addition to half the fender mount hole areas, bottom, front and back.

Carved away the lip for the bucket as it was mostly rotted off.

Using precision tools I made a strip of metal, curved it with an old brakde drum which had a pretty close radius to the bucket.

Pretty close! Lots of fitting to do still.

Found this old inner rear section with these 6mm captive nuts on it.

Cleaned one up and now it's my headlight mounting nut, just like original!

There it is, more or less, still needs a little work but much better than it was! It's solid as a rock now, just need to fix the bucket and a few little dents I missed and I can fix the left side which isn't quite as bad but yet is not very good. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: