Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

I am restoring a 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee. race car .. this bobsy is one of jerry mongs early built bobsy single seat formula vee race car.

its very rare because it has the gas tank on the right side of the car. it was made out of fiberglass . very dangerest if you got hit by a other race car or a wall lol ..there was not many bobsys built with this gas tank. only a hand full were built .. jerry mong then moved the gas tank inside the frame rails. what also makes this bobsy rare is it has a ladder bar frame.. not many bobsys were made with the ladder bar frame.. the ladder bar frame was to heavy .. jerry mong then made a lighter frame.

I am going to drag race this bobsy.. it cost to much money to to race with the vintage formula vee guys and from what I see on YouTube the formula vee vintage guys smash into each other on the race track lol . I am not into that kind of racing the body on my bobsy can not be replaced, its very rare.

the trans was built by my friend geno at geno's air cooled in PA. geno set it up for drag racing. I built the motor to look like a vintage built 1600cc super vee with a vintage engle cam, nos dds pulley, vintage vertex mag, vintage nos treuhaft fan housing (yes I know the fan housing does not cool a motor well but for drag racing it will do lol).

I took my vintage saur &shone carbs linkage and manifolds of of my mock up saur motor . I just had to use them on this motor because they were used on the first super vee 1600cc class motors in 1969. they later went to the solex p 11 carbs then later on to 40 webers also I have a rare set of vanguard valve covers. I have a RX header for the motor.

we all have are dream cars...when I was 14 I always stopped at jerys vanguard shop in medina and saw his bobsy race cars, from that day on I wanted one. lol I went into the navy got out and looked jerry up. I found out he was selling vanguard shifters, vanguard valve covers and his vanguard dual carb intake manifold kits. I bought his shifter then a set of valve covers and a set of his dual carb kit.

I learned a lot about vw motors from jerry.. at the time I did not know what a impact he had on racing with his two seater bobsys race cars .. I found my vanguard bobsy in wadswerth ohio, a young man had it for 7 years. the young man saved it from the junk yard, he sold it to me because he did not have the money to restore it.. he also wanted to drive it on the street and found out it would be a real job to put it on the street.

from what I can tell this bobsy was raced here in ohio, it never left the state. I have looked for years for a vanguard bobsy . I can't believe it was only 25 mins from my home. so if you are looking that dream car you always wanted never give up...one day you will find it. it only took me 47 years to find my dream car. lol

below is jerry mong in his 1958 sr1 the first car he built, his sign that was outside of his shop and a sr 3 bobsy.

thanks for looking spencerfvee.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by spencerfvee on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:10 pm; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build. Please keep us posted as to your success.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks roadcow for the kind words its going to take me about a year to put it all together every thing takes money lol I hope to race it next year spencerfvee
Roadcow wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi every one. heres some more pictures of my bobsy formula vee .. I have the trans in the frame and the shifter working super fine .. I had to build a rev.lock out for the shifter.. I also made some plates to stop the shifter handle from going to fare side ways ..now I can speed shift through all 4 gears . and not miss a gear when shifting up or down the gears... the gas tank in the picture is for looks only. I am going to mount a gas tank under the seat for safety . the seat and old school looking seat belts are on the car I wanted to keep the old gas tank because the tank is very rare . not many.tanks . maybe a hand full of the tanks were made for the first bobsy formula vee race cars ..were made with the tank on the out side of the frame . I replaced the old steering wheel with a vintage 500 wheel ..just like the old steering wheel that was on the bobsy when I got the bobsy . I am keeping the bobsy just like it was built in 1963 . I realy like the repo BRM rims so I bought a set I found 4 nos old vintage tires from the 1960s for the BRM rims take care spencerfvee
Roadcow wrote:

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: bobsy formula vee Reply with quote

more pictures of my bobsy formula vee race car I got the pedal assembly in . and some of the brake lines in . I got the hydraulic line in for the clutch . I made a alum. plate for behind the drivers seat I made a real cool breather box out of a rare vanguard valve cover I have the throttle cable in ready to go . I put new brake shoes on and new wheel cylinders on the frount beam new shocks I put the Z bar on thanks for looking PS the breathers not bent when I took the picture I tripped lol spencerfvee
Roadcow wrote:

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: bobsy formula vee Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:

Hi every one the formula vee is about all done the motor is in the the vee my computer died As soon as I an learn how to post pictures from my ipod I will post pictures spencerfvee. ote="spencerfvee"]more pictures of my bobsy formula vee race car I got the pedal assembly in . and some of the brake lines in . I got the hydraulic line in for the clutch . I made a alum. plate for behind the drivers seat I made a real cool breather box out of a rare vanguard valve cover I have the throttle cable in ready to go . I put new brake shoes on and new wheel cylinders on the frount beam new shocks I put the Z bar on thanks for looking PS the breathers not bent when I took the picture I tripped lol spencerfvee

DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea for the breather box. Love the build.
The only thing you might want to change is the red plastic coupler for the steering. I have seen more than one of them split into pieces.
DWP
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
The only thing you might want to change is the red plastic coupler for the steering. I have seen more than one of them split into pieces.
DWP

Hi dwp yes I like using valve cover for a breather box . I have done 3 over the years the coupler I am using is a bug pack one not the cheap EMPI ones I have used the bug pack ones over the years they held up good thanks for the kind words about my bobsy I will tell you if I knew how much work it took to restore a formula vee and money befor I started I might not have restored the bobsy lol but when I look back it was worth it . When I climbed into the bobsy for the first time I sat there thinking about the guy who drove and built the bobsy in 1964 . I also found out that I have to lose weight to drag race the bobsy lol . It was not made to fit a guy over 200 lbs lol wil try to get pictures soon spencerfvee[img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Bobsy formula vee Reply with quote

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
DWP

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
DWP

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
DWP

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll I got some pictures posted boy it's hard work to post with a apple air I pad the pictures are not the best I will post better pictures later . Header is a old school RX very rare motor is a 1600 cc engle V26 cam vertex old school mag EMPI oil filter vintage Delano pulley nos with dished Santana pulley nut vintage and rare saur intake manifolds[ 32 nidx zenith carbs vintage air cleaners from a 356 linkage I'd motion mini car ,nos true haft sump nos trehaft nos fan housing oil cooler nos motion mini car vintage rare vanguard valve covers breather is one off with vintage moon breathers on top of a vanguard valve cover .heads are 40 x 35mm valves fully ported 10:1 CR it's Been a fun build I will be drag raceing it this summer and showing it at car shows thanks for looking come on summer lol spencerfvee "DWP"]great idea for the breather box. Love the build.
DWP[/quote]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
DWP

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
DWP

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
DWP

vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack you put some of the craziest stuff together and I love it...

Im drooling over those tires!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your funny lol I try to do things no one that no one would do .i like to make people think .and I want people to say to them selfs I can do that too.i have always wanted a vw car that I could show off the trans. And motor and body as one . I love vintage parts . I go to vw shows and I see guys buying vintage parts . And when I ask them what car are they going on . They say none they then say there going on my wall or shelf. To me I use vintage parts . Don't get me wrong .if a person wants to hang vintage parts on a wall or shelf more power to them lol if that's there thing . I know a lot of guys that have vintage parts and they love showing them to me when I go to there homes .that's what they love doing .as for the tires the back tires are NOS the fronts were NOS but the guy drove them on his bug . Formula veesback in the early 1960s drove on street tires when they had the 40 hp motors in the vees. I like the white wall look lol on the repo BRM wheels. Take care spencerfvee. "vw7266"]jack you put some of the craziest stuff together and I love it...
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee race car Reply with quote

Well guys it's all done .its ready to race .but we have 5 "of snow on the ground here in Ohio. So I can't test it lol it was a lot of work to build I got mad it many time when things did not go right lol many times I was ready to sell it lol and I thought to my self what was I thinking when I bought this car .lol but now that it's done al is for gotten. I am waiting for fedx to bring me my 6 used racing tires on rim from a guy in NJ. Hope every one likes the car spencerfvee
spencerfvee wrote:
I am restoring a 1963 vanguard bobsy formula vee. race car .. this bobsy is one of jerry mongs early built bobsy single seat formula vee race car.

its very rare because it has the gas tank on the right side of the car. it was made out of fiberglass . very dangerest if you got hit by a other race car or a wall lol ..there was not many bobsys built with this gas tank. only a hand full were built .. jerry mong then moved the gas tank inside the frame rails. what also makes this bobsy rare is it has a ladder bar frame.. not many bobsys were made with the ladder bar frame.. the ladder bar frame was to heavy .. jerry mong then made a lighter frame.

I am going to drag race this bobsy.. it cost to much money to to race with the vintage formula vee guys and from what I see on YouTube the formula vee vintage guys smash into each other on the race track lol . I am not into that kind of racing the body on my bobsy can not be replaced, its very rare.

the trans was built by my friend geno at geno's air cooled in PA. geno set it up for drag racing. I built the motor to look like a vintage built 1600cc super vee with a vintage engle cam, nos dds pulley, vintage vertex mag, vintage nos treuhaft fan housing (yes I know the fan housing does not cool a motor well but for drag racing it will do lol).

I took my vintage saur &shone carbs linkage and manifolds of of my mock up saur motor . I just had to use them on this motor because they were used on the first super vee 1600cc class motors in 1969. they later went to the solex p 11 carbs then later on to 40 webers also I have a rare set of vanguard valve covers. I have a RX header for the motor.

we all have are dream cars...when I was 14 I always stopped at jerys vanguard shop in medina and saw his bobsy race cars, from that day on I wanted one. lol I went into the navy got out and looked jerry up. I found out he was selling vanguard shifters, vanguard valve covers and his vanguard dual carb intake manifold kits. I bought his shifter then a set of valve covers and a set of his dual carb kit.

I learned a lot about vw motors from jerry.. at the time I did not know what a impact he had on racing with his two seater bobsys race cars .. I found my vanguard bobsy in wadswerth ohio, a young man had it for 7 years. the young man saved it from the junk yard, he sold it to me because he did not have the money to restore it.. he also wanted to drive it on the street and found out it would be a real job to put it on the street.

from what I can tell this bobsy was raced here in ohio, it never left the state. I have looked for years for a vanguard bobsy . I can't believe it was only 25 mins from my home. so if you are looking that dream car you always wanted never give up...one day you will find it. it only took me 47 years to find my dream car. lol

below is jerry mong in his 1958 sr1 the first car he built, his sign that was outside of his shop and a sr 3 bobsy.

thanks for looking spencerfvee.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi every one here is a picture of my vee all finished .i will be replacing the motor with a 40 hp big bore motor for auto cross racing I found a set of vanguard dual carbs for a 40 hp motor and vanguard air cleaners and vanguard valve covers .i will post the motor on here when I get the carbs on here is a picture of the 40 hp motor I am setting up the linkage been a pain in the butt because it's cable pull type linkage .so I made a new better set up I improved vanguards linkage lol .i was going to turbo or super charge this motor but could not pass on the vanguard dual carb set up I have brand new. 30 pict 1 carbs coming . I hope this wakes up the 40 hp motor lol. I have fully ported heads with big valves cr is 8:1 scat cam going to break the motor in on my friends pipe buggie summer is coming when I don't know here in ohio it's crazy one day it's 60 next day it's 10 out lol spencerfvee.....quote="spencerfvee"]Your funny lol I try to do things no one that no one would do .i like to make people think .and I want people to say to them selfs I can do that too.i have always wanted a vw car that I could show off the trans. And motor and body as one . I love vintage parts . I go to vw shows and I see guys buying vintage parts . And when I ask them what car are they going on . They say none they then say there going on my wall or shelf. To me I use vintage parts . Don't get me wrong .if a person wants to hang vintage parts on a wall or shelf more power to them lol if that's there thing . I know a lot of guys that have vintage parts and they love showing them to me when I go to there homes .that's what they love doing .as for the tires the back tires are NOS the fronts were NOS but the guy drove them on his bug . Formula veesback in the early 1960s drove on street tires when they had the 40 hp motors in the vees. I like the white wall look lol on the repo BRM wheels. Take care spencerfvee.
vw7266 wrote:
jack you put some of the craziest stuff together and I love it...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: