Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funniest question about your Ghia?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Quote:
not had a single wave from a Beetle or Bus owner on the open road.

Jealousy is so ugly. Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
walkerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
I am talking to some kid at my school about cars and he has the nerve to say this to my face, "I don't really like your car. I like cars like this", pulls up a picture of a late 1960 'MERCIAN muscle car. I said "good for you" and just walked away. One day people might take the adage about "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" literally . Kids these days Laughing

Another story of some other kid.

Kid: Is it fast?

Me: HAHahaha!! Not really.

Kid: My dad's brother's, blah, blah, mussel car, blah, blah, faster than your car.

Me: Cool Confused

Why do some Americans that that mussel cars are the "god car" or something? I'm not one to put them down, but it is just kind of annoying....

Next story -

Like every other day I drive up in my ghia and go to school. Every once and a while someone comes up to me and says something about it, good or bad. People who only see it for afar say that is has "great paint" and stuff, only for me to start to laugh on how crappy my car is in general. I say thank you can go on my way Smile

They made cars out of shellfish?
walkerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Had my hood open at a gas station. A kid walks up and with the stupidest look on his face possible he asked, "where is the engine?"
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

walkerman wrote:
Had my hood open at a gas station. A kid walks up and with the stupidest look on his face possible he asked, "where is the engine?"

I used to love opening my hood and hatch on my 67 squareback at shows. People were REALLY confused about where the engine was.

brad
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

"Sweet Porsche 356!" - I was towing the '57 Ghia.
"Sweet charming ghia!" - I was towing the 57 356A

Smile (PS It was the same guy!)
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Not really a question, but a funny story none the less ...

I went to visit my brother-in-law in the hospital yesterday after he had suffered a stroke which caused him to fall and further injure his brain.
He had been sedated and was sleeping fairly soundly when we arrived, so the three of us just sat by his bedside quietly talking amongst ourselves.

Somehow the conversation turned to France, and I mentioned to my mother-in-law that I had just recieved a message through the internet (via The Samba PM) from a Karmann Ghia lover there inquiring about my Castilian Yellow coupe as he was apparently looking to add one to his collection.

As if someone flipped a switch, immediately upon my utterance of the words "Karmann Ghia" my sleepy and sedated brother-in-law's eyes popped wide open and he announced "I heard someone say 'Karmann Ghia' and I just knew that Daryl must be here!".

A Karmann Ghia truly is a magical thing, and apparently its theraputic as well. Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Not really a question, but a funny story none the less ...

I went to visit my brother-in-law in the hospital yesterday after he had suffered a stroke which caused him to fall and further injure his brain.
He had been sedated and was sleeping fairly soundly when we arrived, so the three of us just sat by his bedside quietly talking amongst ourselves.

Somehow the conversation turned to France, and I mentioned to my mother-in-law that I had just recieved a message through the internet (via The Samba PM) from a Karmann Ghia lover there inquiring about my Castilian Yellow coupe as he was apparently looking to add one to his collection.

As if someone flipped a switch, immediately upon my utterance of the words "Karmann Ghia" my sleepy and sedated brother-in-law's eyes popped wide open and he announced "I heard someone say 'Karmann Ghia' and I just knew that Daryl must be here!".

A Karmann Ghia truly is a magical thing, and apparently its theraputic as well. :)

Great story, well told. Wish your brother-in-law well from us.

At the traffic lights yesterday, a woman in an SUV rolled her window down and asked me, 'What car is that?'
'Volkswagen,' I answered since I thought she wouldn't appreciate the Karmann Ghia bit anyway.
'I saw that on the bootlid when I was behind you,' she said, 'but I didn't believe it.'

Best compliment ever for our Ghias: A VW like you would never believe.

(If they were still making Ghias, I would claim royalties for the use of that slogan if they haven't used it before.)
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

At the traffic lights yesterday, a woman in an SUV rolled her window down and asked me, 'What car is that?'
'Volkswagen,' I answered since I thought she wouldn't appreciate the Karmann Ghia bit anyway.
'I saw that on the bootlid when I was behind you,' she said, 'but I didn't believe it.'

Best compliment ever for our Ghias: A VW like you would never believe.

(If they were still making Ghias, I would claim royalties for the use of that slogan if they haven't used it before.)

Perhaps they didn't use your actual slogan, but the famous DDB advertisements Volkswagen used back in the day had the same sort of sentiment ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Daryl, your not letting your Castilian Yellow 67 go across the pond are you? Crying or Very sad
Dont do it. Smile
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Daryl, your not letting your Castilian Yellow 67 go across the pond are you? :cry:
Dont do it. :)

Don't be so selfish, Darrel. You have too many - even cut them up, horror of horrors!!! - and we have too few.

PS I know, a different pond, but same needs down here.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88 E5PR1T wrote:
I've been asked "is it fast?" more often than anything else. Even with my license plate they still ask Cool

One sweet situation right there...
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Daryl, your not letting your Castilian Yellow 67 go across the pond are you? Crying or Very sad
Dont do it. Smile

Don't be so selfish, Darrel. You have too many - even cut them up, horror of horrors!!! - and we have too few.

PS I know, a different pond, but same needs down here.

Oh Hell No, my Ghia is not for sale - either on this side of any pond or across it. Smile

After getting rid of my first Karmann Ghia, it took me 20 years to finally land another one ... and this one is super solid, relatively complete, and is finished in a one-year-only color.
Not only that, but after 10 years it has finally increased in value enough so that it might actually be worth what I paid for it. Smile

I just know that if I ever do decide to sell this one, the Karmann Ghia values will go the route of the Porsche 356 values and I will never be able to buy another one.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Quote:
and this one is super solid, relatively complete, and is finished in a one-year-only color.

Perfect, It should be able to handle the trucking to San Dimas CA. Very Happy
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
and this one is super solid, relatively complete, and is finished in a one-year-only color.

Perfect, It should be able to handle the trucking to San Dimas CA. Very Happy

Smile It spent all of its life out there in Ventura - you must have been snoozing when it came up for sale.

Besides, it isn't anywhere near as nice as the Ghia you already have.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

When I was at a gas station filling my '65 Ghia, I had a guy come running and screaming at me "NO, NO, NO, STOP, STOP!!!, that's the radiator!!!!"

He was dead serious, he though I was putting gas in my radiator.

Then as he got closer, he saw there was no engine and he had a very confused look on his face. I had to explain it to him and show him the engine was in the back and that there was no radiator at all. He still looked confused.

Hey, his heart was in the right place when he thought he was helping me.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
ento Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

VTghia73 wrote:
My wife and I went to our local VW dealership in the '73 convertible to look at new cars and talking to the sales guy we didn't qualify for The VW Loyalty Discount Program. Our Ghia was too old! Really??

That's BS. I qualified with my 69 beetle for my 13 TDI
64,66,67,68 bug
69,70 bay
61 Ragtop bug, 61 sedan(looking for the vert)
61 RHD Ragtop Semaphore bug fakeAF
64,64 KG
74 thing
55 oval
70 ratrod
73 fastback pignose
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Just the other day filling up at Costco- "Is it a Fiat?"
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: