Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funniest question about your Ghia?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife works at a college with a bunch of 20-something spoon fed graduates. When she told her co-workers we just bought a 1968 Karmann Ghia they all pretty much said "What's a Karmann Ghia?" Shocked

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
retrofive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making small talk with a client we got on the conversation of cars. I told him I had '69 KG. His response "Oh man!, I love those. They are such cool cars. Is yours a 2 door or 4 door?"

Laughing
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked me if mine was an old maserati the other day.

Huh?
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had all of them today-

Guy comes up and ask - "does it run"
Me- I open the deck lid "yeah do you want to hear it"
Guy- is this where Fred flinstone sits?
-I had to laugh at that one-
-so I crank it up
guy- "doesn't sound too bad, I'm not sure about these but in the bugs a Porsche motor will fit right in"
Me- Rolling Eyes yeah they work for these too.
Guy- how many cylinders?
- I point at the distributed and touch the wires 1-2-3-4.
Guy-oh... Can you Pop the front?
- I pop it
Guy - proceeds to put his foot on my bumper and and just looks. Tells me he likes the blue color. he goes around and opens the door and tells me how he likes it,and then slams the door. " it's a classic, that's what you do"

Why do people touch other people's car, I had another guy ask to sit in it today too. Drives me crazy, not that I'm afraid they well hurt, it's the principal of the matter.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:

Why do people touch other people's car, I had another guy ask to sit in it today too. Drives me crazy, not that I'm afraid they well hurt, it's the principal of the matter.

I'm just grateful nobody over here has a clue what my car is...put a foot on my bumper and they'll get a smack in the mouth. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
-Zodiac- wrote:

I'm just grateful nobody over here has a clue what my car is...put a foot on my bumper and they'll get a smack in the mouth. Laughing

Amen.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
-Zodiac- wrote:

No kidding.. Some/ most people would deserve it lol
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:

That's just not something you do with someone's restored car.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended "Bug Fest" one year at the Raleigh Museum of Natural History. Part of the festival is a VW car show (mostly Bugs for Bug Fest). Anyway, I'm watching people admire the cars when a woman and her kids suddenly open the doors to one of the other cars, jump in, and start messing with all the switches and levers. The owner wasn't there, so I walked over and politely told the woman that I didn't think the owner would appreciate her and her kids in his car. She looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head and quickly gathered herself and her kids and left. I'm not sure what she was thinking... Rolling Eyes
boinkffd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finished the resto on my 58 and took it out around town for a shake down cruise, I stopped off at my local VW Dealership to see about a vintage style hat or t-shirt. I parked in one of the visitor spots and went inside to see if it was ok to park in the front for some pictures and was given the ok. While I was taking some pictures , two salespeople came out and were admiring the car.

They asked me two questions -
#1 . What is this car ?

Me - A Karmann Ghia . Often called a Lowlight.

#2. Who made it ?

Me- Volkswagen .....
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me...at an all makes show during the summer; an old guy appeared to be taking a very close interest in the engine in my Ghia. His head was under the decklid and I expected an insightful conversation about superchargers and the flat 4 engine.

He looked up and said, "these are rear engined cars aren't they"
"Yes" I replied.
"Hmmm, where is it"?

He seemed to be completely thrown by the fact that the flat 4 sits beneath the tinware. Anyway he got quick lecture on the configuration of the arcooled VW engine and seemed to go away quite happy with his new found knowledge. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened like 2 weeks ago

Next door neighbor peering over the barbed wire fence; " Man where the hell did yuh find an ol school bugatti shell? Parts gonna be super expensive when yuh start restoring it, but at least yuh wouldnt be messing with old junk vw's anymore"

Me: "It's a 62 Karmann Ghia, and it was made by Volkswagen.... you should mind you own business and go back to crushing beer cans and burning leaves"

Neighbor: "you got a point, aint much oh dem daylight hours left in the day"

Don't think he believed me, but whatever

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
-Zodiac- wrote:

GOOD information!! Laughing
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it a race car.
Hey dat dere is wan dem karma gias!
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a funny question, but I kind of found the situation funny - so I'll share.

A cop drove up and says " what year Karmann? "
I say" it's a 73, want to come and look at it?"

He seemed exited and said "heck yeah I do" so he came out and checked it out and said " I'm surprised a kid your age knows about these cars" I was surprised he knew! He tells me how he had a 67 mustang that he restored, and says that I'll have a really good car when it's done - cool cop he was.

What I found funny is that I was wearing a "Metallica - Metal Up Your Ass " t-shirt that shows a dagger coming out of a toilet Confused He didn't say anything about it lol - didn't even notice the sticker on my tag was expired Shocked
Rocketmonkey81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

I'm 6'3" and about 250lbs... when people see me with my 68 I usually get "nice car" then "How the hell do you fit in that ting?" I usually tell them it is like a tardis...it's bigger on the inside.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

While driving back to Florida from Georgia the day I bought the car I pulled into a Wal-mart parking lot to adjust the tarp covering the car. As I worked on the tarp a rough looking, long haired, 60ish guy walked up to me an asked, "What year is that Ghia?" We then spent about 20 Min. talking about it and the few he had owed over the years. Here is how the car looked at the time. I you know them, you can spot them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While not Ghia related this other story is amusing but only after 25 plus years.
I worked as a courier while in college. One day while driving my 69 Beetle north on I-95 to deliver a letter on the north side of Miami, I was clipping along at about 70 in a 55 zone and I got pulled over by a Florida Highway Patrol woman. She walked up to my car and promptly said. "I didn't think these things could go over 50, that's why you stood out." She then wrote me a ticket for going 60. She said she cut me a break because she was amused by my speed.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

A new one when filling up with gas yesterday. Guy at pump in front of me "Is that a Morse?"

Morse? (I couldn't turn "Morse" into "Porsh"…)

"Morris"

Ah, no, a Volkswagen. They made these from the '50's to early '70's…

He pointed to the nose & indicated that it looks like a Morris. I nodded affirmatively, to indicate my complete lack of comprehension: "Yeah, it's different, isn't it?". (A Google, later, seemed to confirm my suspicion: I could find no Morris nose that looks like a Ghia's.)
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

My '73, since it's in mid-resto, lives in the garage and is currently in pieces. Pan on one side, body on the other. I've seen the two neighbor kids (I would imagine in the 17-18 year old range) peeking in the garage on more than one occasion with that slightly confused and curious brow. One day they finally got the gumption (I stand 6'2", 3hundredandchange, so I cast a bit of a shadow, hence the reluctance I would assume). They came over and started asking all kinds of questions. "What is it?" "What year is it?" Looking over on the garage floor..."Is that the motor?" "I thought it was a Porsche" (which impressed me, since I wouldn't assume that generation would know a 356 from a Beetle). Other neighbors have glanced in the garage from afar and pointed and mumbled, but no one else aside from the neighbor kids have bothered to ask. It's sort of like having a Rhinocerous in the garage. A lot of looks and points, but no one wants to get near it.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funniest question about your Ghia? Reply with quote

Not many know me personally on this site, but my close friends and coworkers know that I've been working on my 70 Ghia since 2010. Its been in the paint stage for past couple years. So every so often I get the "Hey did you ever paint that Ghia you were building with your dad?" At first it always annoyed me, but now I just laugh every single time they ask.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: