Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro trans rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the oil get from the pinion bearing inlet fitting to the pinion bearing bore and drilled pinion bearing? It looks like the main shaft needle bearing gets oil from the pinion bearing bore and drilled pinion bearing but didn't see any pics of how the oil gets to the pinion bearing bore.
zeohsix wrote:
Here are some details of the oil line routing of the gearbox oling modifications invented by Paul ( Samba member Gears ) the pinion bearing has oil flooded into it from the fitting on the case, the Ggear housing distributes oil to the drive gears and most importantly the 4th gear area to flood this problem area with additional lubricant to carry away heat through an additional flood of lubricant. Paul if you want to add anything or correct me where I'm wrong feel free ( I'm only "Jesse" in this operation, Gears is "Hiesenberg" for you Breaking Bad fans Wink )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What did you use to drill the pinion bearing and make the channel that the holes are in? Diamond tipped drill and lathe cutter?

Do you have any more pics of the oil outlet fitting? It is dark and zoomed in so it is hard to see the placement. Is it also on the passenger side of the trans? Does the oil just go through the fitting or is there some kind of pickup tube?
zeohsix wrote:
Photo of the oil outlet from the bellhousing area of the 094 transaxel, notice it draws oil above the floor of the transaxel, this location will prevent the pick up of heavy debris and is one of the reasons we take oil from above the bottom point of the differential chamber

Are you putting the temp sender in the nose cone / decoupler?
gears wrote:
Temperature probe on this transaxle will be tucked into an excellent spot ..

F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case is through-drilled from fitting to pinion bearing bore.

Earlier in the thread there's a photo where I'm widening this inlet hole, to meet up with the oiling groove of the bearing.

The 3 hole are drilled with solid carbide drill bits, one per bearing. I think Eric's cutting the groove now, instead of grinding it (like the ones shown early in the thread).

Oil temp pick up is at the serial number, on main case.

I think Eric's photo shows a pick-up on the left side of the bellhousing.
Mine's on the right side ..

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw-fan-flene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

What did you use to drill the pinion bearing and make the channel that the holes are in? Diamond tipped drill and lathe cutter?

Do you have any more pics of the oil outlet fitting? It is dark and zoomed in so it is hard to see the placement. Is it also on the passenger side of the trans? Does the oil just go through the fitting or is there some kind of pickup tube?

Hi from Germany,

I Like to do the same on My V6 TDI Syncro, how are your experience with it?

Do you have also drilld the mainshaft?

Cheers Jan
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric's oil feed fitting is also now on the passenger side thanks to a little TIG welding. In fact Eric's 094 is actually sitting in his Westy for the 1st time since it was bolted to my 1.8T. Just ironing out a few more details with the engine mounts/exhaust then I can sit in van making Vroom Vroom sounds until I get little details finished.

For anyone wanting to groove a bearingthemselves, first make a holding fixture for the race.....buy a $125 custom ground carbide tool bit.....buy some carbide drills ( plan on losing or breaking at least one $25 drill bit per bearing)...have access to a vertical mill and lathe...measure and machine away or hit the " easy button " and contact Gears for his parts.......Paul thought long and hard about solutions to the 094 lubrication problems and I'm sure he can help you out if you have problems.
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Looks like oiling mods are catching on Wink

Very Happy
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm envious...
insyncro, is that yours? Looks like doing the shaft drilling too.
Bo
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mine, an image shared from one of my European Facebook friends.

I know that a few around here are not into FB, but the coverage of Syncro specific and Vanagon specific upgrades is second to none.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan, can you provide a link to the facebook page? There looks like there is at least 4 locations where oil is being delivered. Do you know any details on this oiling design?
Trans Cooler
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a friend request and I will add you.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Audi bellhousing with steel support bracket is pretty trick

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gears"]Attention turns to the main housing once again. The goal today is to get oil to the dinky mainshaft needle bearing.

This pathetic little bearing is the result of the VW transaxle evolving to a larger pinion bearing, without spreading the shafts apart to accommodate a better needle bearing, too. They should have increased their center-to-center shaft distance from 65.65mm to 75mm.

Earlier transaxles had smaller diameter pinion bearings, paired with much larger OD mainshaft needle bearings. (I will insert comparison photo later).

Anyhow, it is what it is .. and because we want the ability to steel sleeve this case when it's serviced in 150K miles, we don't want to bore for a larger bearing (as is often SOP for high RPM installs). Besides .. we have a different thought ..

Great thread. Lots to learn here!

I've got a spare syncro transaxle I'd like to experiment with a bit to take SVX power with less worry.

One thing I'll be trying is a larger mainshaft needle bearing. There certainly is not a lot of room between the two shafts in the case to remove metal, but I'd like to bore it and put in a larger needle bearing. Is there a size that has been successfully used before?

cheers,

J
cheers,

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Earlier transaxles had .. larger OD mainshaft needle bearings ..

.. and these had larger needles. If you are a VW trans builder, you are probably acquainted with the early Type I bearing, which is paired with the earlier pinion bearing. These don't exhibit the effects of low oil circulation like the later bearings (although I chose to just oil the existing bearing).

Here's JW Pate's photo of the earlier bearing installed in a waterboxer main case:

'87 Syncro GL 2.5

Last edited by gears on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Paul,

Very Happy

I don't know if that person plans on putting that transmission in a Syncro but, if they do......I don't know how that 094 and the fuel tank will be able to fit......I know mine is quite close and I plan on installing a piece of stainless steel to guard my tank. The others we have done have a new location for Paul's oiling feed to the Ggear housing.....it only took a few reworks and some TIG/mill time to get the proper location sorted out. I would be interested to see the details of the final installation of the 094 in the photos. What we really need is a Porsche G50 ring/pinion set up.....then 400+HP Syncro would be possible! I'm fine with my 220HP 1.8T.....I won't be detonating along doing 45MPH in the slow lane of I80 waiting for the waterboxer to grenade when travelling to Tahoe to visit Gears.... Very Happy
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
insyncro wrote:
Paul,

Very Happy

I don't know if that person plans on putting that transmission in a Syncro but, if they do......I don't know how that 094 and the fuel tank will be able to fit......I know mine is quite close and I plan on installing a piece of stainless steel to guard my tank. The others we have done have a new location for Paul's oiling feed to the Ggear housing.....it only took a few reworks and some TIG/mill time to get the proper location sorted out. I would be interested to see the details of the final installation of the 094 in the photos. What we really need is a Porsche G50 ring/pinion set up.....then 400+HP Syncro would be possible! I'm fine with my 220HP 1.8T.....I won't be detonating along doing 45MPH in the slow lane of I80 waiting for the waterboxer to grenade when travelling to Tahoe to visit Gears.... Very Happy

Here it is installed!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recognize the VAG motor the starter is on the opposite side of the block from my AWP 1.8T but, I do see some square spacers lowering the front transaxle mounting point and they are giving up some ground clearance for the plumbing underneath ( hope they have a good skid plate! ) Can anyone tell me what the motor is? It also looks like the engine mounts lower in the chassis. Looks like it might be an Audi V6?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a V6 TDI. The starter is in the original position for that engine. He made a custom bellhousing using a section of the Audi bellhousing which allows the use of the Audi starter.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Im going off topic but, I like my ground clearances better than the V6 TDI 094. With the internal passages Paul used we accomplish a good oiling distribution without an inordinate amount of external plumbing and I like the KISS ( keep it simple.......) design of Pauls system. Here are some photos of my AWP 1.8T swap that is a work in progress but, for the first time since last year my T3 has a motor and transaxel installed! The value of my Westy has more than doubled in the past 2 weeks! Very Happy

Drivers side exhaust will be a little challenge but, so far so good

Passenger side you can see the blue aluminum AN cap on our oil draw from the differential area.....further ahead ( hiding past battery cable ) is the AN "TEE" fitting screwed into that feeds the pinion bearing pressurized lubricant. The piping to the Ggear housing is also taken off the pinion bearing feed fitting.

Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Quote:
Earlier transaxles had .. larger OD mainshaft needle bearings ..

.. and these had larger needles. If you are a VW trans builder, you are probably acquainted with the early Type I bearing, which is paired with the earlier pinion bearing. These don't exhibit the effects of low oil circulation like the later bearings (although I chose to just oil the existing bearing).

Here's JW Pate's photo of the earlier bearing installed in the Syncro main case:

Thanks for the pointer back to JW Pates build, Gears. I followed his EG33 build and it was great info for my engine conversion. I ended up splitting the case on mine as well using the info he had there.

I'm not a transaxle rebuilder but I'm certainly into giving it a shot. There are a couple of area that might be worth modifying in addition to copying the great oiling work you've been doing. In addition to the larger OD main shaft needle bearing, I'm also interested in trying a larger OD bearing on the 4th gear for heat tolerance. I'll need to look into the cost of having the gear bored and whether it will need to be surface hardened. Much research to be done before I start!

Cheers

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post about any revisions you have made to the designs documented in this thread. Such as the oil feed location mentioned above. How many coolers have you installed? Are you now providing this service to paying customers?
Trans Cooler
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way others are doing it, as Eric said, my efforts were toward an internal oiling solution .. more along the lines of what Herman did years ago (and in the direction that Porsche has taken in recent years). Eric's creation of the single tube linking main case entry point and low gear housing entry point have added to design elegance, and this attention to detail, especially in the G gear housing entry, assures that the transaxle location remains stock.

There is more to come, but we're not quite there yet. One little part we're working on will be quite useful as a "bolt-on" oiling solution that addresses the single most critical overheat area, 4th gear. A larger 4th gear bearing is NOT a solution. It isn't the bearing that's the problem (and the oiling grooves that VW now suggests to feed oil to this bearing are next to worthless .. at least when compared to true oil recirculation).

Certainly nothing more than a single cooler (with fan) is required. I'd even considered leaving the cooler out, just to prove a point .. but in retrospect, that seems rather silly, seeing as how we're already externally circulating the oil.

No, I don't really take on outside jobs .. I'm doing this in my retirement years. This is a hobby to me, and sharing all the details is what I've been doing with ANY knowledge about VW & Porsche transaxles that I've accumulated over the decades. Believe me, there is very little that hasn't been done before. I've just been lucky enough, and open minded enough, to have learned from many others.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: