Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Looking for something like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This coincides with my day dreams. Minus the flares. Definitely on the Audi emblems.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple more photos I found.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'd hate to let the Michele Mouton reference go by without a little background. She was an amazing trailblazer, and one helluva driver back in the day.

Thank you
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be it.

From here (4:06):

Link
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...all those poor ferns Laughing

I couldn't really tell if the fronts were spinning with the rears and the street tires didn't help, but a 2wd van with the same tires would not have gone up that especially being wet.

It looked like both rears were spinning together at on point.

Cool stuff.
Have fun this weekend at the event.

Love the Audi grill BTW Exclamation
sandcough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Absolutely inspired. Congratulations. It's like watching an evolutionary jump.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Haha...all those poor ferns Laughing

I couldn't really tell if the fronts were spinning with the rears and the street tires didn't help, but a 2wd van with the same tires would not have gone up that especially being wet.

It looked like both rears were spinning together at on point.

Cool stuff.
Have fun this weekend at the event.

Love the Audi grill BTW Exclamation

Keep in mind that the EDL (traction control) is not yet working, that ABS pump would have grabbed on to the tire that spun and let the others push. I am amazed that the traction is as good as it is like this. The hill is much steeper than it looks and it is wet from raining all day also I only have street tires on it.

Andrew-
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandcough wrote:
Wow! Absolutely inspired. Congratulations. It's like watching an evolutionary jump.

Thanks William.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that hill and yes it rained all day here too.
You are really on to something here.
I look forward to testing it next to my stock Syncro by doing a comparison 2x4 test.

I'm just psyched to see it move.
There is no doubt in my mind that you will finish it off and it will be as capable, if not more, as the vehicle the driveline came from.

A+++ Andrew Exclamation
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dylan,

I look forward to seeing what it will do once completed.

why do you think the front end is sitting so high? I can't imagine the weight difference of the front diffs is doing all that. I like it but I need to bring the back end up an inch or so to match it.

Andrew-
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure until I see it firsthand.
I have all sorts of spacers and different springs I have collected over the years.
Everything I have is available to you to help dial in this major advancement.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailblalzing in every sense of the word. Fantastic.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Wow Shocked That looks like the same hill you drove the quattro through all those months ago. Incredible to see the QuattroSyncro do it now. Applause

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will chime in on the Michele Mouton fan club. I got to drive her race Quattro for a weekend in Detroit. Pontiac Division borrowed it for some reason and they sent it to me as I was the corporate AWD guy. Wow. The high point many incredible vehicles I got to drive in my career.

This is a great project and I'm really excited at how it is working out. When I jump from the Quattro to the Vanagon or vice versa I think how nice it would be to meld them. And you are doing it!!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread (and the original 2wd one) have been fascinating and exciting to watch. i applaud the design ingenuity and fabrication that have gone into this impressive project!

as a syncro owner with 1.8T dreams, this project has piqued my interest. i'm curious how feasible it would be to start with a longitudinal engine swap and then progress towards the full quattro swap when my trans eventually wears out.

andrew, would it be possible to use your engine mount solution to hold an AEB engine mounted to the syncro trans with an adapter plate? are there other options (diesel engine mounts?) that could be used to hold the AEB? or is one committed to custom fabrication in order to mount this engine? it seems like all the threads on longitudinal engine swaps that i can find involve welding up custom engine carrier bars...

keep up the awesome development!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phlogiston wrote:
this thread (and the original 2wd one) have been fascinating and exciting to watch. i applaud the design ingenuity and fabrication that have gone into this impressive project!

as a syncro owner with 1.8T dreams, this project has piqued my interest. i'm curious how feasible it would be to start with a longitudinal engine swap and then progress towards the full quattro swap when my trans eventually wears out.

andrew, would it be possible to use your engine mount solution to hold an AEB engine mounted to the syncro trans with an adapter plate? are there other options (diesel engine mounts?) that could be used to hold the AEB? or is one committed to custom fabrication in order to mount this engine? it seems like all the threads on longitudinal engine swaps that i can find involve welding up custom engine carrier bars...

keep up the awesome development!

Thanks for the support Phlog'

You are either all in or your not with this. There are no factory mounts you can use, the diesels ones don't fit. My engines are also pushed slightly off center so that I can use stock vanagon axles. The only thing you could reuse would be the wire harness and the engine and that would still need to be disassembled to make it run counterclockwise.
You mention waiting until your syncro trans needs a rebuild, it would be an easy thing to sell as a good running transmission if you don't wait.

Andrew-
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did manage to throw the van together just barely enough to make it road ready to drive to the vw show. I made the trip with not one working gauge, no air filter, no door panels, no radio, no dash cover. there was no time to fool with them.

I have put about 200 miles on Quattrosyncro and all I can say is it is simply amazing to drive. The gearing is perfect! The drive is so smoothe, not a bit of the typical syncro vibration! It feels like the A4, just good smooth power. No clunking when accelerating or deceleration, no binding in parking lots, no constant fear in mind of the syncro trans going bad. I have shown you a glimpse of what it can do offroading and that will only improve once I have the ABS/EDL working.

I am still amazed at how well all the Audi parts fit in- stock vanagon axles, stock Audi driveshaft, stock Audi or passat 5 speed transmission that can be replaced for $350, a cool turbo engine that can deliver 200hp with only a ECM tune. All of these parts are easily available in salvage yards or Craig's list/eBay etc.

This could be the future for the Syncro Vanagon, there is no other way to update the complete drivetrain at this point.

Andrew-
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that is just too cool for words! Great job!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this build and paint scheme. Nice work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: