Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 VW Beetle -- My #flybug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: 1968 VW Beetle -- My #flybug Reply with quote

I thought I would start a thread to document my updates, endeavors, memories, experiences, and whatnot about my new acquisition.

First off, this is my first VW... ever. My parents have owned two beetles in their past, and my sister and her husband have owned/own two buses. I've always loved German vehicles and got into this lifestyle by purchasing this #flybug--a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle.

I bought it from a guy in Caldwell, Idaho for $3000. When I bought it, the only issue was the brake lights didn't work--not a big deal, I was a boy scout and learned how to hand signal when I was eight. So that's where I started.

I spent a day researching on samba.com different remedies and determined that I would start small. I went to Auto Zone and bought new stop/tail light bulbs and reverse bulbs. Now both tail lights worked great, but still no brakes. Next smallest thing was the brake light switch. Back at auto zone, I buy the one switch they have in stock for $12.99, a size 22 socket, and a few other things.

It was fairly easy once I got behind the front-left wheel. Although, to my surprise there were actually two brake light switches! So I call around and find another one at a different auto zone. After this, I topped the clean brake fluid--some oozed out when the switches were removed--and then tested my lights--they worked! I sure am glad I didn't have to start tracing wires!

Until next time...

SOLD:
1968 VW Beetle, Daily Driver, #68flybug

Photos: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=jfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it fun owning a beetle?
Well any older car realy, I had to strip my 96 toyota's wiper motor today as it stopped working amid a heavy downpour. Luckily got it working again, better than ever, except it stops a bit high, due to me not marking the gear position before I took it off... At least thats a 5 minute per position attempt jobby I can do over the weekend.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 VW Beetle -- My #flybug Reply with quote

jfly wrote:
I thought I would start a thread to document my updates, endeavors, memories, experiences, and whatnot about my new acquisition.

First off, this is my first VW... ever. My parents have owned two beetles in their past, and my sister and her husband have owned/own two buses. I've always loved German vehicles and got into this lifestyle by purchasing this #flybug--a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle.

I bought it from a guy in Caldwell, Idaho for $3000. When I bought it, the only issue was the brake lights didn't work--not a big deal, I was a boy scout and learned how to hand signal when I was eight. So that's where I started.

I spent a day researching on samba.com different remedies and determined that I would start small. I went to Auto Zone and bought new stop/tail light bulbs and reverse bulbs. Now both tail lights worked great, but still no brakes. Next smallest thing was the brake light switch. Back at auto zone, I buy the one switch they have in stock for $12.99, a size 22 socket, and a few other things.

It was fairly easy once I got behind the front-left wheel. Although, to my surprise there were actually two brake light switches! So I call around and find another one at a different auto zone. After this, I topped the clean brake fluid--some oozed out when the switches were removed--and then tested my lights--they worked! I sure am glad I didn't have to start tracing wires!

Until next time...

Not trying to be a doom sayer but you might want to order some 'good' brake light switches from someone like Wolfsburg West. Several on here have had those cheap Chinese switches 'blow out' in rather short order.

Just trying to give you a heads up to keep you safe. Good luck and enjoy your new bug. Laughing

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd throw out a few thoughts.

As it seems that my bug is pretty functional mechanically, most of my updates are cosmetic and easily reversed if my mood changes (or if my wife doesn't like it!). Here are some things I've done:

-Bought some stock VW wheels that were powdercoated red... slapped those suckers on with the VW caps = HOT!
-Added a "wurbilator" or bi-flector to hood
-Regular maintenace (oil changes, valave adjustments, etc.)
-Replaced CRAPPY EMPI carb with refurb'd 30PICT-1 VW Solex Bocar (Mexican Solex) from Tim at Volkzbitz (AMAZING!)
-Moved fuel filter from engine bay to uner gas tank (that job was a PITA)
-Yanked out old speaker/sub system installed by previous owner. He put a lot of thought and good care into building the box, but it took up the whole back section of my bug. I have kids, so I found a seat in a parts car and threw that in--sweet!
-Installed 3 point seat belts (it's my DD).
-Pulled off padded dash (dry rotted and crumbling) and painted dash with Rustoleum Professional Enamel which turned out pretty nice. I plugged the holes from the dash mount with an o-ring and a hex-bolt style lag bolt. That gave it a sealed and cool look.
-Re-painted dash grills and jockey box lid.
-Re-painted shifter and e-brake.
-Found some rust under my battery (pending repair).
-Replaced soft fuel lines.
-Replaced fresh air vent grills, oh-crap-handles and hooks, some small parts on the interior door handles, passenger side window rubber (will be replacing with better stuff someday), rear windshield rubber (NO LEAKS!), and many other small parts and doo-dads.
-Found a guy with several bugs in his field that he lets me strip of all value.
-Used rear door cards.
-Created a hashtag for my bug online (#68flybug).
-Worked with an amazing State of Idaho DOT Inspector who "melded" my '69 pan's VIN with my '68 body's VIN. My new VIN is a '69, but she kept it as a 1968 VW Type 1 on the title! That worked out way better than I expected! (I originally only had the title to the body...)
-Replaced Sylvania sealed beam headlights with H4 light assemblies that look good and actually light up the road. (80w/110w H4 bulbs help, too)
-Added some ridiculous stickers to the pop put windows
-Put on stand offs (I have a 1600 DP with a '68 lid... I NEED MORE AIR!)
-etc.

To be continued...

SOLD:

nickfancher1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing good, start with the basic tune up stuff to start off fresh, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, adjust valves, change oil etc.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress Jfly! If your red rims have metallic gold inners- they were liberated by me last year! Now I don't know how you made off with that Sinclair pump strapped to your roof rack- but well done...

I didn't see that car at the BPA Family Reunion last week- sorry if I missed you. Bring it to the BPA monthly meeting- I'll have the other yellow bug there.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfly wrote:

-Replaced Sylvania sealed beam headlights with H4 light assemblies that look good and actually light up the road. (80w/110w H4 bulbs help, too)

Are you running those bulbs through relays?
The stock headlight switch is not going to last long if not.
They are not made to carry that sort of load and burn out with anything over stock 60/55w globes.

you don't wanna know how many burned out switches ive replaced over the years from people putting in high wattage bulbs without using relays.
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nickfancher1
Posted: Yesterday 6:56 pm Post subject:
Sounds like you're doing good, start with the basic tune up stuff to start off fresh, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, adjust valves, change oil etc.

Done. I had the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, valves, oil change all done last September by a VW mechanic ("for over 50 years!") in Nampa, Idaho (European Motorsports). I drive only about 8 miles a day in my bug, back and forth to work. Since then, I've changed the oil myself once. I am currently buying up all the tings I need for the next tune up.

Quote:
hitest
Posted: Yesterday 7:45 pm Post subject:
Nice progress Jfly! If your red rims have metallic gold inners- they were liberated by me last year! Now I don't know how you made off with that Sinclair pump strapped to your roof rack- but well done...

I didn't see that car at the BPA Family Reunion last week- sorry if I missed you. Bring it to the BPA monthly meeting- I'll have the other yellow bug there.

Small world, huh?! Yeah they are those. We met in the McDonald's parking lot off Eagle Road, right? I love those wheels. That one tire that was on a rim turned out to be from 1974... tire shops wouldn't even try to find the air leak!

As for the gas pump, that was tough stuff to get done. But hey, now I have free gas for life! ... Laughing

I didn't make it to the family reunion, I had sick kids at home and I couldn't leave my wife to fend for herself. I wanted to make at least the cruise on Friday night, but my work kept me there until about 715 that night... bummer.

When is the next meeting?

Quote:
JoelPosted: Yesterday 10:39 pm Post subject:
jfly wrote:

They are not made to carry that sort of load and burn out with anything over stock 60/55w globes.

you don't wanna know how many burned out switches ive replaced over the years from people putting in high wattage bulbs without using relays.

Yes I am. I studied electrical engineering for a short while in college and I understand the need for relays; although, electricity still blows my mind! Needless to say, I'm a Bank Manager now, not an electrician. Smile

SOLD:

jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've given an update on what I've done, I thought I would update what I want TO DO:

Mechanical:
-LEarn to adjust valves, dizzy, and timing on my own. I don't know why, but I fear this process.
-Change oil.
-Install new rubber gaskets I got for the speedo and a couple other things like windows, etc.
-Change gear oil and maybe have tranny rebuilt someday...
-Find that stupid oil leak.
-Fix some minor rust areas.
-Replace stereo and speakers.
-etc... the list will continue to grow...

Cosmetic:
-Install gravel guards (front and rear) on fenders.
-Find VW mudflaps (black, WITH mounting brackets) and install.
-Fog lights! (How big? 6 inches? Clear? Amber?...LED? If LED, square? bar style? over or under bumper? get a third and turn it into a thrid brake light on the rear? hmmm...)
-Refurb my rack.
-Replace headliner.
-Get original front seats and replace existing ones... or get nice sherpa seat covers for all seats to make them temporarily match.
-Re-finish metal dash.
-Install "D" origin plate on rear bumper bracket.
--etc... this list will continue to grow, too... probably faster than the mechanical list! Smile

SOLD:

jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... update time!

I have installed a set of Hella Optilux 1900 6" driving lights! They are a chrome set (they look nice on the chrome bumper!) that came with 100W bulbs--I got them from AutoZone for $69.

I wired them up (I'm not that good at making wiring look good...) and swapped out the original bulbs for 55W bulbs so I don't toast my generator. With headlights and driving lights on, I'm pulling about 18 Amps from my 30 amp generator. (About 4.5 - 5 Amps per light.)

I also put my eyelids back on. (No pictures of those on, yet.)

What think ye?
(My car at night lit up by local Rodeo lights, with driving lights off)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Lights lit, above view)

(Close front view)

(Distant front view)

(This is the wiring diagram I used! It worked perfectly!)

SOLD:

jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on hiding the driving light wiring inside the front bumper directly behind the license plate mount?

For now, I have the bundled wires zip-tied on top of the bumper to the license plate mount. This is a temporary solution to keep the wires from dangling.

SOLD:

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting build. I'll be honest; I had to look up "wurbilator" on Google.
Keep up the good work
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Interesting build. I'll be honest; I had to look up "wurbilator" on Google.
Keep up the good work

Yeah... it took me a while to find it, too. I ended up finding more results looking for "bi-flector." Check eBay or Amazon for 'em. I like mine... and it works!

What is "interesting" to you about this build? I know I'm a cooky guy who likes his accessories and gadgets. Some people say, "less is more." I would agree for a show car, but I like my gadgets. What can I say? I grew up in the era that "Go Go Gadget" was the bees knees!

--

As far as any other updates... I finally forked over a couple bucks and had a local and highly trusted shop change my gear oil. WOW! Just driving the bug from the shop back to work I noticed a HUGE difference! They put in full synthetic 90W GL5-MT1. Me gusta.

I was going to have the shop install my new reverse light switch, and they would have, except they didn't see any wiring to connect... crap. Now I get to figure that out. Anybody know the color code for the back up light wire off hand? There are a couple "loose ends" in the trunk...

And for the record, the only reason I had a shop do the gear oil change, is because I don't have a lift to get the car high enough AND level to do the change myself. I have ALL of the tools and fluid and stuff to do it. It just needed to get done.

SOLD:

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find most threads interesting for the simple reason that people tend to do different things to their VW's. Some install gadgets, some do mechanical, some do body work. Some restore, some customize and it gives a glimpse into the personality. It is a personal thing and I just find it interesting to see what people choose to do. Its not a negative in any way. I just like browsing the forums.
I inherited my Dad's bug recently and he too, was an Electrical Engineer. You designed a very functional fog light circuit AND installed it. My father designed and installed a very functional turn signal/hi-lo beam switch box when his regular turn signal switch broke. In his case though I was not impressed with his workmanship, but he liked it and it worked. When I restored his bug, I had to rewire the entire car. You see, in all his years of owning it, he had splices going to splices, coming from splices to the point where nothing worked.
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic I took this morning with the eyelids on.

SOLD:

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
jfly wrote:

I should add that I also dropped my main headlights back down to the usual 55w H4 globe. With the potential to be using 4 lights, I figure that I don't need all the wattage on my main lights.

SOLD:

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add here that I am a speed reader too and as such missed that you studied electrical engineering and are now a banker. I studied it too in college but ended up an aircraft electrician among other things over the years.

X2 on the relay for the fog lights and the 55W lights are a good move. But I see by your diagram you already used a relay for the fogs.

Back in July you posted about learning to adjust valves. Did you get through that yet?
jfly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
I must add here that I am a speed reader too and as such missed that you studied electrical engineering and are now a banker. I studied it too in college but ended up an aircraft electrician among other things over the years.

X2 on the relay for the fog lights and the 55W lights are a good move. But I see by your diagram you already used a relay for the fogs.

Back in July you posted about learning to adjust valves. Did you get through that yet?

Not yet! I have all the tools to do it, I'm just waiting or my gaskets to come in so I can set aside some time to do it.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'm not worried about figuring out the process of adjusting the valves. I'm nervous about it because I don't want to jack up my engine on my first try! This bug is my daily driver. So if I screw up, I'll have to drive my wife's chevy equinox. It's a nice car, but it's not a bug.

I also just got a timing light and dwell meter so I can do timing. That will be a first for me too. Neutral

When I do this, I also want to tune my carb, change plugs and wires, change oil, etc. I would love to do a full tune up on my own! Plus, I'm inly getting about 20 mpg average right now using 90 octane non-ethanol fuel with my setup. I'm hoping a tune up will help. I'm not looking for Prius quality mileage, just better.

Any tips on tuning up a bug for a first timer?!

SOLD:

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a picture of the motor and I'll give you what I got. You have an Idiot Manual?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: