Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shop Truck '65 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

We are now up to date with this morning. I am waiting on a WW order to get here. The stuff that needs finished:

Brakes-All the lines are done, all the backing plates are rebuilt with new wheel cylinders, hardware, and shoes. I am missing two front bleeders, on the way from WW

Wiring- Everything is working and tested except headlights (wiring to lights is installed and tested), fuel gauge, and speedo illumination. Waiting on a dimmer switch and cluster bulb holders from WW. I also need to make a new positive battery cable. Not crucial to operation, but still needed in my mind are tunes and 12v charging ports.

Interior- The seats are at my buddy's interior shop, hopefully they will be back next week. I want to dynamat the bare metal and make interior panels, but that might have to wait until after CTS. Pre CTS, I do need to come up with a divider panel/firewall for under the rear seat/fuel tank area. Also need to get some seat belts

Engine/Trans- I'm pretty solid here. Something in the carb stuck monday night and filled the crankcase up with gasoline. I am going to email Volksbitz today and prob just get a rebuilt carb from him. I want this to be stupid reliable, and will not be happy if I'm on the side of the road because I cheaped out on an under $200 part. I also am considering puling the engine back out and putting a velocity ring shroud I have on it, the engine has already been converted to doghouse oil cooler.

One trans boot is leaking, so I need to replace both of them and change the gear oil in the trans and reduction boxes. Prob go ahead and replace the shift coupler while I am there.

Body- Pretty much I just need to paint the roof and put the passenger front door window together.

Fed ex tracking shows stuff from WW getting here Friday, so I'm shooting for it's first shakedown run on Sunday.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hansolo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Nice. Good idea on the bed frame angle iron. I never thought about that and have thrown enough away to build something nice. What a great wife you got, can't wait to hear how the first trip goes......
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Hansolo99 wrote:
Nice. Good idea on the bed frame angle iron. I never thought about that and have thrown enough away to build something nice. What a great wife you got, can't wait to hear how the first trip goes......

I used to own a company that cleaned out forclosed homes. I told the guys to save them anytime they found them. I prob have 60 bedframes out in my barn waiting to be turned into stuff.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xj4play
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Looking great. Love the tent setup.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Cracked out some more work yesterday. Started by painting the roof, I'm not super stoked about the white roof, but it is better than half bare metal so it will do for now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Put together the right side door window, and realized I didn't have vent wing seals for either side....Damn.

Then I remade my list as far as what I could find...not too daunting, I'm sure it will grow as I think of more

Back on the lift, drained the oil from the trans and redux boxes, it really didn't look horrible. No scary metal or anything came out, so I feel good about that.

While I was greasy, I replaced the swing axle boots. They old ones were leaky and I could tear them off with my hands. Then I refilled with fresh gear oil. Only took about 3000 pumps on this stupid $7 pump....

The battery cables were pretty jank, crappy clamp style terminals, crappy connections, crappy everything. I spent years keeping snow plow trucks alive in road salt, so I learned a thing or two about proper cables. I also am super OCD about electrical connections, it takes one more thing that can fail out of the equation.

I used 2awg, way overkill. I have the proper crimping tool for these ends, but actually prefer to use a punch, in my opinion they crimp better.

Finished it off with solder, shrink wrap, and marine ends. I like to use these ends because in a garage setting it is harder to properly crimp a standard battery cable end, as well as making it easier if I choose to add a second battery, other 12v accessories that require direct connection to the battery, etc.

While it was in the air, I replaced the broken throttle cable with a new german one, and made up a harness for the brake light switch.

I also couldn't resist killing the shop lights and taking a pic with the lights on. Really is starting to feel like this thing could possible be driving soon.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
thericklang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Looking good!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

I build battery cables and use marine terminals just like you. I worked in a boat shop for awhile and learned about this setup. Much preferred for cars that go to bed for the winter. Regular clamps don't like to R&R too many times before they fail.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Ok...need to catch up on a few days. I really wanted to get a test drive in on monday, so I stayed up until about 3am knocking stuff out.

After filling the reduction boxes, I was thrilled to find that the rear axle seals were shot. I should have changed them when I changed the box oil, but I risked it. It didn't work. So, apart they came for all new seals, the previous person to so it had used a beetle kit and just shoved the extra parts not needed for a bus in there anyhow. Apparently they did not have a workshop manual.

So that was done. I was having some carb float issues, and it was not really responding well. I have never had this carb apart, so I figured it was a good idea. The accelerator pump was junk, it was full of crud, and the throttle shaft was way loose. Great. So I pulled the 30/31 off my other bus and put it on. Along with a distributor change and some tuning and it runs 100 times better.

With it running, I figured it was time to finally put it on the road. As far as I can tell, it has not been driven since 1989-90ish. Everything felt pretty good, brakes kinda suck, but the shoes aren't bedded in yet.

Unfortunately the clutch was slipping if I tried to accelerate past 45 in 4th. I couldn't remember what the clutch looked like when I had the engine out, and I have moved it around all winter with a broken throttle cable, slipping the hell out of the clutch at idle, so I did it to myself.

Fortunately, the flywheel and pressure plate were still good, and I had a new disk, so I was able to throw it all back together in about an hour.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

While it was on the lift again, I started a front to back nut and bolt check/tightening. The steering had been loose on the road, so I investigated and found the center pin pivot to be way worn out. How I had never checked it, I have no idea, or I did and forgot over the last 3 years.

Luckily my buddy John had bushings in stock, and loaned me his driver and reamer. Interestingly, I have done damn near every repair on a VW, but have never done these bushings. It was surprisingly easy. The procedure is detailed quite well here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274893

Reaming away.

I got all of that finished up last night, got the brake lights working, installed a new dimmer switch, and had to fight the one mirror arm out....

The to do list is pared way down, mostly odds and ends. I'm going to put some miles on it tomorrow to try and shake some more bugs out.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Yesterday was time for another, longer, test drive. With the new clutch, I was able to hit a gps verified 63 mph, which really is as fast as I would ever care to go in this thing. I need to do some more dialing in yet, but after running it pretty hard, lugging it down in 4th on some hills and trying to mistreat it, I shot the engine with my digital thermometer and the oil temp was about 180. It was about 60 degrees ambient outside, so might be a touch warm, but I also am running a lot of advance (around 31 degrees total on a 009, which I am going to replace before CTS, it was a known good dizzy so I used it), so if I need to I can take some timing out and cool it down some.

Got it home and started on some of the "other" stuff I wanted to do.

First was a charge port, I found this on amazon, not really into how its mounted and will prob come up with something better, but for now there were already holes there so I tossed it there. USB and 12v plugs, as well as a digital voltmeter, which is kinda nice to have. Next to it is a cheap amplifier, will work with pandora or whatever on my phone.

In an effort to help all the idiots texting and eating and putting on makeup and writing novels while driving to see me, I wanted a BRIGHT 3rd brake light mounted up higher. I wanted LED, but I didn't want it to look modern.

With that said, I was digging around in the loft of our old barn a while back and found about 20 old tractor lights that my wife's grandfather had used and modified over the years. He's gone now, but he was the epitome of the early 20th century farmer. Smart as a whip, even into his 90's, could make anything work with twine and ambition, and never threw a damn thing away. I try to be somewhat the same way, and I think it is cool to not only use stuff that was his, but to also upgrade it in a way that I think he would approve of. Our society is so concerned with just throwing away, and dismisses anything old and crusty, including the elderly. A little bit of respect for the past goes a long way.

Anyhow, off my soapbox. I had this single light with a broken lens, and I had to laugh when I opened it up to find that he had soldered a bayonet base bulb into it to keep it working. I had some 4" led trailer taillights and it fit perfectly, even the original spring retainers snapped right in. The bracket bolted right to the bedframe tent rack remember what I said about reusing old crap?) and there was even already a hole drilled in the bedfloor to route the wire down. It is bright as hell when lit, so hopefully it will draw some attention.

Hoping to get my seats back from upholstery today, and another WW box is here, so I should be able to knock some more little stuff off tonight.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Looking forward to checking it out at CTS
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Looking forward to checking it out at CTS

Thanks Paul. Are you bringing your 15w or westy? I love them both.

Last night I cranked out a few little things. My buddy dropped off the driver seat, I had been driving it sitting on some old Thing rear seat cushions, so this was a welcome change. I had a roll of vinyl I had found in a foreclosed house I bought a while back, and traded some jetta parts for the labor. He did a great job on them and it's a bit more comfortable to drive now.

I figured I had better check the seat out, and it was a beautiful evening, so I took it out for a spin. I'm still chasing some free play in the steering, basically know its the steering box at this point since everything else in the front end is brand new. I may try to adjust it out.

I also have been convinced that the throttle is only opening in relation to the pedal when it feels like it. The lever off the pedal was pretty haggard, and had an extra spring, as well as hose clamps holding the rod to the pedal. I bought the WW kit to replace it, greased the hell out of it, and readjusted the cable. I may eventually go with a heim joint lever, but this will do for now.

Going to try to do a few little things this morning, then drive it over to lowes to pick up some material to start making door panels and ceiling panels. This thing is a tin can right now with basically no interior and it's driving me crazy.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
I decided this spring I would take some time off from work ( I work for myself ), and finish all my half done cars. Started with my Thing since it was in the way, and needed the least.

Then onto the double cab. The new, real goal is to drive it to CTS next month. I've been dinking it with it during the day, coming in for time with the kids from 5 to 9 ish, then going back out after they are in bed and working on it til about 2 am.

Onto the lift....this makes life a lot easier.

I finished running all of the brake lines, and looked for a few mystery oil leaks.

Then it was onto the wiring. Luckily a previous owner panted the inside of the truck, and didn't really mask anything off, so about 60% of the wires were white.

The hazard relay and flasher were both junk, rather than mess with old stuff, and in the interest of using stuff I could buy at any parts store in the country, I used two regular off the shelf relays to replace the hazard relay, and used an electronic flasher. Also had to strip down and clean the crud out of the turn signal switch, and it works like a charm now.

Cool work!! where did you find the wiring diagram with colors?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
Ohio_Style wrote:

The hazard relay and flasher were both junk, rather than mess with old stuff, and in the interest of using stuff I could buy at any parts store in the country, I used two regular off the shelf relays to replace the hazard relay, and used an electronic flasher. Also had to strip down and clean the crud out of the turn signal switch, and it works like a charm now.

Save the appropriate jpg to a thumb drive and take it to your local printer and have them make one for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

The laminated diagram was in the truck when I got it. I downloaded one of the ones linked above to my phone as well, just to have it handy when I need it.

So. I've been driving it some, and chasing more details. I added a tach and cylinder head temp gauge over the weekend.

Which ended up biting me. I was driving today and it just died. Tach was still reading rpm when I cranked it, it was getting fuel, I was having a heck of a time finding the issue...until I unplugged the tach and it fired right up. I suspect it is shorted to ground internally. I wasn't really married to it anyhow.

I have never had the firewall panels for the fuel tank area, and really didn't want to pay the price for an original set, so I dug out some 14ga drops and sheared some panels to fill it in.

I've been using this stuff for a long time as sound deadener, just roof peel n seal basically, but all butyl, so no tar or oil smell. It works pretty well.

The mounting area was already swiss cheesed with screwholes, so I just shot some self tappers in. Not original looking, but it does the intended job, and its pretty well hidden, this truck is going to work, not to the concours.

I had just finished that up, when my buddy who was working on the seats called and said they were done. So I cruised over to his place to snag them. He did an awesome job, the rear is done in a super tough fabric, I think we are going to redo the fronts this way as well, because I really like it.

I'm going to spend the rest of tonight, and tomorrow evening doing a few little things and gathering up all the spare parts and tools. I guess it's about as ready as it will ever be for a 500 mile road trip.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

I have big time negected this thread. Since 2016, Ive had this thing driving all over. Last year the single port gave up, so I bought a new dual port from MrBusCo (formerly JOGR), added empi dual 34s and mostly have driven the wheels off of it.

I lettered it up with my business name.

Put my rooftop tent on it. Also added a 20 gallon water tank, battery bank, solar charging, electric cooler, etc.

Added a roof rack to carry traction boards, solar panels, fuel can and mount an awning to

Added some modern amenities. CHT Gauge, switches for bluetooth amp hidden under the seat, light bar, and usb plugs.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

I sliced a hole in my aftermarket rear bumper, built some beef brackets and ran a 1/4" wall 2x2 box tube behind the bumper to anchor a trailer hitch. Now we can do trailer hitch stuff.

Ive logged about 4500 miles on it this summer, it's been my daily driver since it gets way better mileage than my f250. We've camped in it and vended at several shows.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop Truck '65 Double Cab Reply with quote

So far it's been super reliable. Normal maintenance is all I've done to it. The only real issue I've had was a broken clutch arm spring.

Until last week at least. I was driving home from a show about 150 miles away, rolling out of a small town, went to shift to 4th and the clutch pedal lost most of its tension. I pulled into a parking lot, slid under and fount everything I could see in normal shape, meaning the issue was in the bellhousing. I wasn't fixing that in a parking lot, so I started it in first, floated gears, and timed traffic lights the remaining 50 miles of my journey.

This morning I finally tossed it on the lift, and found the throw out bearing shaft had lost an arm, as I had guessed to have happened. No big deal, I have other transmissions, so I went and robbed an arm out of another swing axle. Then I noticed it was way smaller than the one I had taken out of my truck.

A bit of investigation and I'm pretty sure my truck has a later type 1 irs trans (with redux boxes still). The TO bearing shaft appears to be from a early bay, and the cable arm from a late bay, which may explain why my pedal has always been stiff (it's shorter than the correct bug arm) The transmission doesn't have a part number stamped into it where it should, it's just blank

I'm going to attempt to reassemble with all late bug stuff. Luckily I have a clutch kit sitting here as a spare for my thing.

From top, late bug shaft, shaft from my trans, shaft I pulled from a 64 big nut trans.

Left to right, swingaxle arm, arm from my trans (part # says its late bay), late bug arm

Somehow I had always overlooked that the trans in my truck had the bosses for the sleeve on late clutch setups.

So, tomorrow morning, I'll attempt to bold it all together again. I need it cranking again to go camping next friday.

Slammed Thing
Lifted Split Bus Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: