Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Muffler Upgrade
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Bostig Muffler Upgrade Reply with quote

Two reasons to do this:
- Increase clearance between muffler and A/C compressor
- Reduce back pressure

Before clearance:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After clearance:

Magnaflow S/S flow through design with offset inlet/center outlet.

Full details in my Picasa album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/BostigMufflerUpgrade#

Jed
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Bostig Muffler - Updated April 2014 Reply with quote

Long story short (more info on my Picasa site), I looked for a quieter, "OEM style" muffler with the same advantages of the offset design Magnaflow for A/C compressor clearance.

Here are the mufflers I researched:

The Walker rep indicated noise level would be essentially the same for all "OEM type" designs, except the "Mega Flows" which are designed for HD trucks (not a good application). All of the mufflers in the table have offset inlets and a narrower case than the "Bostig Spec" for greater clearance, and the case is short enough to fit within the same space. They all require a tip, but these are cheap and available at places like O'Reilly's and Pep Boys.

17904 Installed:

Clearance:

I actually attempted to make measurements using a sound level meter, but the meter doesn't respond like our ears do . . . there's little difference between the Magnaflow and the 17904 in db, but your ears can discern the lower, "throatier" sound. No significant difference in db when idling or cruising.

Bostig folks, I also posted on the "Knowledge Base" site.

So my advice after testing out 3 mufflers? Use an offset inlet design to give your A/C compressor more clearance from the muffler. If you want a more "OEM" sound (like the Bostig spec muffler) go with the 17904, a bargain at $20. If you want a more aggressive sound, and perhaps a minor performance benefit, go with the Magnaflow. Any installation will appreciate the Walker "acousti/seal" sealant to prevent leaks.

Lots more details on Picasa Site:

Jed
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read the title I was excited to see somone had rid the system of that 90degree 0radius elbow. You can imagine my disappointment.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lemoncove! I will surely use the information posted to change out my muffler. I have AC lines that come even closer than the compressor.
Oh.. and I've added one more person to the block list. Rolling Eyes
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things of note:

1) Nice work and write up!
2) "SS" on the quietflow SS is marketing BS, it isn't stainless nor do they claim it, it's aluminized. But the quietest we've tested. It reaches max attenuation about 5k miles in due to soot build up on roving. They last 2-3 seasons around here. I'm game to try the other quietflow again and see how it compares though. I like a $20 pricetag Smile
3) There is no additional benefit in terms of backpressure with going with an alternative. Even with the turbo setup the quietflow's complete removal offers no benefit or increase in flow/power. ie the muffler isn't the bottleneck even at much higher output levels. We know where the next bottleneck is, and will have some fun things later in the season if that's what you're after.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3) There is no additional benefit in terms of backpressure with going with an alternative. Even with the turbo setup the quietflow's complete removal offers no benefit or increase in flow/power. ie the muffler isn't the bottleneck even at much higher output levels . . . .

Yeah, but the Magnaflow feels more powerful because it sounds so cool! Wink
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LemonCove wrote:

Yeah, but the Magnaflow feels more powerful because it sounds so cool! Wink

There's actually a lot to that... both in terms of getting enough of the right kind of noise, and having too much. It seems there are ratios that appeal to people between engine NVH/acceleration. Too much of one vs. the other and you have complaints in either direction even if the actual acceleration is the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put the Walker 17904 on my Bostig, with a 9" down curve tip, and it's roomier and quiet, and gives more clearance from the AC compressor.

There's about 1/2" of space between the tip and the body sheet metal, and I only used one set of muffler mounts to install it. Very solid. This install eliminates the need for the machined aluminum muffler mount plate, but I'm going to leave it in place for now.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!

A bit off topic, but where did you get the thermal insulation on your coolant line?

https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/BostigMufflerUpgrade#6001947772984575618

shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other question -- Has anyone re-used the exhaust flange gasket when removing and re-installing the cat, or do you have to use a fresh one every time?
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:

....where did you get the thermal insulation on your coolant line?

Insulation that I added to my coolant hose: Heat Shield Products HP Hose Sleeves 240003(I got mine from Summit for $22)

Yet another picasa album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/RadHoseInsulationAndBleeder#

I have replaced my flange gaskets when removing/replacing the cat, nut I guess you could reuse if it looks OK. I didnt want to take a chance of a leak because of gasket failure.

Jed
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try the small muffler too and test for differences in flow/sound while I do it. I do like the small size a lot.

Also it should be noted that the Quietflow we spec and suggest you source through Rockauto has a lifetime warranty. So when it needs replacement you can send it in for another, or have two to rotate for that purpose. Remember that mufflers are wearable items, even stainless ones, esp. if they use wire roving and will soot up over time let alone rust/corrosion which will also occur (although much more slowly) with even the best 304 mufflers.

Jim Akiba
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 91 Westy Bostig conversion at a rowing regatta today. Perfect regatta vehicle. You can see the new, smaller Walker muffler here.

kourt
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much quieter is the smaller muffler than the kit muffler? I'm that kinda guy who wants it as quiet as possible.

WL
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exhaust tip installed, the Walker muffler is about the same as the stock Bostig muffler.

kourt
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this way back when setting up a dual "straight thru" for my i4 conversion..may be of use today: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0383/article.html

The exhaust: http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers/exhaust.html

Two SS mufflers (different sizes, both straight-thru designs) mounted inline and the CAT make for decently quiet exhaust that also performs very well.
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of my install. I took the muffler to my local meinieke and they welded it in to use the old hangers.
tip on the way.
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ub6M12S7KmeWxVeTV6RUMydUtSVFlQdWxGMzRPYnlsN3Vj/edit?usp=sharing[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ub6M12S7KmWTdvZEtuMDJuV0JvRnV6RDVGWXA5VGxWNFM4/edit?usp=sharing[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ub6M12S7KmN01kb1dWUEJONUIzZHJac3pjNE5VQWZoSUlR/edit?usp=sharing[/img]
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
and my daily commuter: a Bicycle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..LemonCove, which muffler are you using? The Walker 17904 or the Magnaflow 12225? (12224?)

I'm in the process of rebuilding the Bostig conversion in our '90 Syncro Westy, with a zero mile engine and rebuilt A/C system. I like the idea of more clearance between the muffler and the A/C compressor.
However, in your Picasa photo album you have some conflicting info about which muffler.

Which one has given you the best performance/satisfaction?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 17904. Much cheaper (now $24 from Summit), and quieter. No difference in performance. I really think that's the way to go, and fits nicely.

You'll probably want to add an exhaust tip as well, for aesthetics and to clear the rear valence. I originally had a simple one from PepBoys, but when I did the burley bumper, I cleaned up the rear and added a nicer looking Vibrant Performance Exhaust Tips 1503 ($17 also from Summit.)

I also used Walker 35959 Acoustiseal to seal between the muffler and cat pipe. No Leaks.

I updated my picasa album to show the 17904, but not the new tip/bumper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: