Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rathbone's DuneBuggy Build Thread!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near the coast and had the day off so I went for a drive this morning. I thought this looked like a nice place to stop for a photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But before long my front wheels went different directions. I lost a castle nut and the tie rod end came out of the spindle. I had some tools with me but not what I needed and no spare nuts. I was able to hold the tie rod with a zip tie and drive to a local Ace Hardware where I bought a nut and some wrenches. They don't carry metric castle nuts so I had to use a standard nut.

I finally made it to South Daytona!

I've had a lot of antique and collector cars through the years but this buggy is the only one that actually attracts women. Forget BMWs, Corvettes, Classics, etc. We like to joke about using cars to attract women but we know it doesn't work - they aren't interested. That is unless it's a dune buggy! Ha ha. I met 3 women today who were here on vacation from Pennsylvania.

(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
MOON BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great adventure!
Hi five on on picking up the chicks.
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turns out that metric castle nuts are hard to find! Shocked

I used a 17 MM socket on the nut I replaced the castle nut with so I've been looking for a 17 mm fine thread castle nut. Is this a part I have to special order online?
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathbone wrote:
So it turns out that metric castle nuts are hard to find! Shocked

I used a 17 MM socket on the nut I replaced the castle nut with so I've been looking for a 17 mm fine thread castle nut. Is this a part I have to special order online?

If you used a 17mm socket then you'll want a 10mm nut. Nuts are measured by their thread size, not their wrench size.

A castellated nut could be hard to find, it would be easier going for a self locking nut or as a short term measure a plain nut secured with Loctite. Look for 10mm x 1mm pitch nuts...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M10-1-0-Or-M10-10mm-Fine-T...2329f3223d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the castle nut!

I installed the side pods today.

RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Russ!

Gonna do a roll bar/cage?

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:

What is your number plate light Bill?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for the Manx stainless roll bar.
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven 550 miles so far. The last couple hundred have been without unpleasant surprises! But I've been driving without shocks on the front. It drives just fine unless I have to brake hard - then the nose dives sharply, gas comes out the breather, and blows back onto the windshield.

I guess it's time to install the shocks I have sitting on the garage floor, but I can't find the bag that I put all of the nuts and bolts into. I'm going to have to buy new. Does anyone know what size the nuts and bolts for attaching the front shocks are? Question
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link pin or ball joint?
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a link pin. It's a 1959 pan.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parmaynu wrote:
mr_bill wrote:

What is your number plate light Bill?

Its a Hollywood Accessories D52

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/1960s_License_Plate_Light_p/vts-173.htm

Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I reached 800 miles the engine started running badly and then wouldn't start at all. It took a while but I discovered that changing the condenser got it running again. I've always thought the engine sounded like it had a knock in it but I've had several people listen to it and no one thought it was anything important. Last weekend I decided it was time to investigate the noise.

It turns out the engine had been really hot at some point. The rings on the number 3 cylinder were completely gone on the bottom of the piston and there were grooves worn into the piston that looked like an HO scale rail road track. The number 1 cylinder had terrible grooves at the bottom of the cylinder that would have make the piston chatter as it crossed over them.

So I had new pistons and cylinders installed. It's running great now. I put 200 miles on it since Saturday afternoon (It's Monday night). For some reason I did have to turn the fuel pressure up to 5.5 psi from 4.5 psi because it wouldn't stay running.

The lesson learned this week is not to use this 3M Paint Defender Spray Film. I thought I could spray it on the body sills to keep the paint from getting scratched where I climb in and out. It's too soft to stand up to that application. The first time you touch it - it's gone. But somehow it's also impossible to remove.

Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on that 3M chit. I have a can and was considering using it on a stand up paddle board - I strike the rails a lot in the surf with my paddle. I put 3M protective tape on the paddle instead. It wears quickly due to the sharp, carbon fiber edges, but, unlike this spray, is easy to replace.

'Interesting looking pattern on those seats BTW. ..wheels are my favs.

Jim
Manx #2614
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I added 'raised white letters' to the front.

Then I went out and got caught in this:

It was worse in 'real life' than this image would suggest. It was one of those storms where people pull over to the side of the road and wait it out - but I was in an open top buggy.
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- did the rain water damage anything?? I like your Manx. It's going to look sweet with a roll bar. Also, the raised white lettering on the tires looks cool. Please tell me about the process for lettering the tires! I can think of some interesting messages that I can place there..
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the letters from a company called Tread Wear. You glue them on with super glue. Even though the tire brand is under the letters it still fools people.

The buggy is fine. I had a friend come and pick me up and I abandoned it at the gas station. Last night was like driving through a hurricane. I went back for it the morning though and everything is fine. I don't have carpet, a radio, or anything that has to be kept dry. From now on I'm going to keep big trash bags in the buggy to cover the seats with.
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, Rathbone. Those seats are killer. I've added 3/4" drain holes in my pan under the seats just in case I get caught in the rain, but they are plugged for now. No rain here- bummer.
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yeah I have boat plugs in the pans to let the water out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: