Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I saved a 64 bus from the scrap yard today!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the money thing, believe me, but that orange cargo floor is, IMO, REALLY not worth the work it takes to put it in. I used it 15 years ago b/c the only other choice at the time was so much more expensive, and have regretted it ever since. Yes, it's covered by the mat, but...

They may have improved it since, but the problems I found were unbelievable. I had to seriously rework the flanges, as most were NOT bent correctly. Of course, it was easier to do this b/c of the thin gauge of the metal, but the dips between each top hat that appeared immediately made it look like it was a 40 yo beat down shed floor.

The worst part, and one that I didnt notice until after I installed it - the flats for the seat belt mounting points are in the wrong spot. Easy enough to hammer a new flat spot, but at any price, I found that pretty ridiculous.

It will work, for sure, and give you a solid floor. But if it ever bugs you, think of all the work to remove and reinstall. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Dude TOSS that outer rocker. I don't care if you have to eat top ramen for a month, nobody is so poor that they'd weld that thing on.

Can you explain what is so bad about it? It's just metal, right? I have never compared it to other available parts, so I really don't know.

Z wrote:
I get the money thing, believe me, but that orange cargo floor is, IMO, REALLY not worth the work it takes to put it in. I used it 15 years ago b/c the only other choice at the time was so much more expensive, and have regretted it ever since. Yes, it's covered by the mat, but...

They may have improved it since, but the problems I found were unbelievable. I had to seriously rework the flanges, as most were NOT bent correctly. Of course, it was easier to do this b/c of the thin gauge of the metal, but the dips between each top hat that appeared immediately made it look like it was a 40 yo beat down shed floor.

The worst part, and one that I didnt notice until after I installed it - the flats for the seat belt mounting points are in the wrong spot. Easy enough to hammer a new flat spot, but at any price, I found that pretty ridiculous.

It will work, for sure, and give you a solid floor. But if it ever bugs you, think of all the work to remove and reinstall. Good luck!

I bought this floor from a shop here locally. He had already fitted and trimmed it for another bus, so it's a perfect fit already and it WAS really cheap. The gauge of the metal seems to be the same as the factory floor. I may regret it, but I'm going to use it. I'm really trying to get this thing on the road asap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauge for the orange floors is definitely not the same as factory. They will warp as soon as you step on them.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro2539 wrote:
I have MOST of the metal I need to start reconstructing. This is the best stuff that I could afford, so I am going to roll with it and see if I can make some progress! If you have any tips, please send them my way!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
if you don't mind posting it, i am curious how much you paid for that brazillian cargo floor shipped? i am betting both halves were 400 bucks with the shipping
you can get a gerson floor for 650 shipped; looks like you have some good ww metal there; i thought they made pretty nice cargo floors now as well? i would not waste my time and effort installing that orange crap. it's garbage
thankfully there are better options these days

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought all of it from WW, except for the cargo floors. I bought them here locally for $280 for both. I'm going to check the thickness compared to the original. They dont feel that flimsy to me. Are you sure they haven't improved them by now? I LOVE the WW front floor. it's very nice! I havent test fitted it yet though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro2539 wrote:
I bought all of it from WW, except for the cargo floors. I bought them here locally for $280 for both. I'm going to check the thickness compared to the original. They dont feel that flimsy to me. Are you sure they haven't improved them by now? I LOVE the WW front floor. it's very nice! I havent test fitted it yet though
i just read you bought them from a local shop; if they had it trimmed and fitted why didn't they use them? just sayin'

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Dude TOSS that outer rocker. I don't care if you have to eat top ramen for a month, nobody is so poor that they'd weld that thing on.

The profile of the curve is most likely awful. Its really just not worth it when a KF is very reasonable. However, all of the other metal is usable.

Everyone here will hate on the orange floor. I have never used it for a whole floor but don't mind the black or the orange for outside patches. Just used the black stuff for my bus as it will be covered by a wood camper floor. It is thinner but just as thick as the rusty parts of the OG floor. The only thing I will tell you about the orange floor is STRIP ALL OF THE ORANGE OFF. Do this before you put the floor in. Then recoat the bottom with the correct paints. This is only packing primer and is not stuck to the metal at all.

I just did all of this to my bus. I used a cheap short rocker and checked the profile to my KF long rocker. Dead on. Worked great. My WW cargo rocker was about 1/8" short. No big deal. Just added weld to the end and reshaped it. However the rest of the stuff from WW is great. I used the inner rockers and outriggers. How do the jackpoints look? Haven't bought any yet as they aren't priority to drive the bus.
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the jack points were the most impressive parts. ill post pics tomorrow
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should expect to see that the profile of the curve will be off, the length may be off, and the bend that shows right below the doors will not line up with the bottom of the doors, giving the rocker a "kicked in" appearance when the doors are weatherstripped and latched.
For such an inexpensive and highly visible part, the better part is well worth it.
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i value your advice on the floor being shit, but I have to use it. I'm on a pretty tight budget and it's definitely better than what was in it. At least this bus isn't still rotting away in a field or at its previous destination before I found her...the scrapyard. I'll make the best of it and go from there.
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Yes you should expect to see that the profile of the curve will be off, the length may be off, and the bend that shows right below the doors will not line up with the bottom of the doors, giving the rocker a "kicked in" appearance when the doors are weatherstripped and latched.
For such an inexpensive and highly visible part, the better part is well worth it.

Are you talking about the WW cargo rocker?
gabvwkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sir, are my hero! Awesome score, love any Turkis bus!
~gabvwkey~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the bus in the garage and got a welder over to my house. We are starting to tack some pieces to the frame. I should have the floors installed in the cargo area within a week or so.
[/img]
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, decided to go with good ol' OSB instead of the orange floor, eh? Good choice. Very Happy
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a little progress. I am going to do some patchwork on the bulkhead area and some other small parts and Ill be ready to install the floors. Slow and steady. I either have the time or the money, but rarely both at the same time.

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't feel like the Lone Ranger....$ and time never meet....
bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I am not alone in poverty!

I installed a new master cylinder, the front metal brake lines and the long brake line to the back. I am uncertain how the lines are supposed to run from the T on the frame horn to the wheel cylinders. Does anyone happen to have a pic? I searched the gallery and I googled it with no luck.
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
Did you throw in a paddle? Laughing

Hilarious! Very Happy Easily best trade of the year!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an early model, but same pattern.

Later crustier model.

bro2539
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been months since I posted an update. I have worked on her off and on and I have made a lot of progress. I have the rear floors welded in but i still need to finish them out. The front floor is fitted and I will have it welded in this week or next week, I hope. I installed a new wiring harness from Wiring Works, all new switches from WW. I had a local radiator shop clean and seal my gas tank. I had a friend build my shortblock. He was a machinist at a VW shop for 20 years and I was pretty happy to let him handle that part. The engine is installed, but I have not test ran it yet. I am doing the front brakes today. I just ordered what should be my final order of parts before I can make this girl road worthy for the first time in 40 years! I still have a long ways to go. I need/ to rebuild my front end and have big nut RGB tranny rebuilt drum to drum and some interior and exterior work. And I know the list of things to do will be never ending, but thats all part of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: