Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Standard walk-through build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a sin to paint that bus; beautiful fade.

That dash looks nasty. I guess someone REALLY needed a speedo.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ,don,t paint it it just increases it's value. just keep it faded and don,t fix the rust. and try to keep the smell of mouse shit and rotting natural fiber. Your wife will love that odor. Besides if you actually restored this it would reqire effort and talent. Sorry I just felt like a good Rant.Big project keep it up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you noticed but in the last photo there was no rear frame. The previous owner cut it out and the half ass welded it in out of alignment and poorly attached. That was a major fix I had to accomplish. Now I have an engine compartment again. Then working on corners and wheel wells.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the dash front I am glad I held out and waited for what a I wanted, a perfect replacement section from a rust free us being cut up in CA. I also got the complete clutch and throttle guide tubes I needed with their original bends. The dash wont happen for a few months.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use some help please. It has been a while since I removed the damaged clutch and throttle tubes. I have good originals to go back in.

Question, the photo is of the bracket on the torsion housing next to the nose cone. Does the clutch tube go in the notch further from the nose cone or closer to the nose cone? Thanks

Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope these pics help:

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that tells me what I want to know.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're always welcome to come take a look at my 63 for measurements if you need to!!

Looking good by the way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus and nice work so far. I once witnessed a guy yank a barndoor speedo pod out of a rusty junkyard bus by hand. I think he may have hit yours next...

Good luck!
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, someone really did a number on the dash. Probably Sasquatch...

On the bright side it is nice to see the back of my bus look like a bus!

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the photo above what you cannot tell is how much work I had to do in order to fit the replacement corners. The left side was the worst, I had to cut it into 4 pieces in order to make it wide enough. The wheel well side was not straight so I had to modify it. The engine compartment side was too tall so I had to cut it down, and the "flat" portions on each side were too round.

I have been very cautious to post anything about these since I don't want to piss Gerson off, I need him, we all need him! But Thom's postings helped me, it is what it is, you just have to make them fit.

On the bright side I used Eastwoods lead free body solder kit for the first time today. From my first attempt, give me a few trys and I think I can go bondo free. If I want to... But I have been dying to try.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to post more updates. Cargo floors in. Cargo door bottoms replaced. Just installed the passenger dog leg.

Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far. It's gonna be a great bus.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left dog leg. My tip, install and adjust the doors to your old dog leg. Cut out the old dog leg, never remove the door. Then I tacked the inner panel side of the outer dog leg on and tweak the outer dog leg to fit. Then for the inner dog leg I test fit, hammer, dolly, bend, test fit and repeat till it fits without messing with the outer dog leg fit.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work! I am tackling the rear end on mine too and I can tell that was many hours just getting it all happy. I appreciate you sharing those detailed pics.
My corners don't even exist below the tail lights so any reference pics are helpful. You did what I plan to do and thats align the bottom of the corner to the pressed line on the apron, seems logical. I have seen a lot of variances of this on the samba but your's seems right to me, considering the body lines.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Beautiful work! I am tackling the rear end on mine too and I can tell that was many hours just getting it all happy. I appreciate you sharing those detailed pics.
My corners don't even exist below the tail lights so any reference pics are helpful. You did what I plan to do and that's align the bottom of the corner to the pressed line on the apron, seems logical. I have seen a lot of variances of this on the samba but your's seems right to me, considering the body lines.

I will get another photo of the rear corners. The rear corners do extend slightly lower than the apron, this is correct.

But at the end of the day you are best to align the wheel well arches together in the front to set your height.

Edit, before welding this in I scoured original paint but photos for days making sure since this seems counter intuitive but the corner to apron looks like this from my research.

55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the entire dash, using the clip I posted before. I am using the y-tube heater from the new dash and installing it at the lower tube seam. That way I don't have to mess with how it welds to the dash.

For the windshield center post I installed a square tube that was a perfect tight fit. I then plug welded it to the original and replacement sides to make sure the post is, and stays, straight. I primmered it with weld through primmer...

I am installing everything well and basic grinding the welds. Once most everything is done I will finish everything, such as finish grind the welds along with hammer and dolly work in the body working phase. You can see in the corner that I replaced the front floor sides also. I installed the petal just to make sure they still fit, they do.

The bus wont be original paint. Too much rust and damage to replace.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
Replacing the entire dash, using the clip I posted before. I am using the y-tube heater from the new dash and installing it at the lower tube seam. That way I don't have to mess with how it welds to the dash.

For the windshield center post I installed a square tube that was a perfect tight fit. I then plug welded it to the original and replacement sides to make sure the post is, and stays, straight. I primmered it with weld through primmer...

I am installing everything well and basic grinding the welds. Once most everything is done I will finish everything, such as finish grind the welds along with hammer and dolly work in the body working phase. You can see in the corner that I replaced the front floor sides also. I installed the petal just to make sure they still fit, they do.

Nice work on the bus, its looking great. Do you recall what size the od was on the tube you used in the center post?
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
55samba wrote:

Nice work on the bus, its looking great. Do you recall what size the od was on the tube you used in the center post?

Yes, 3/4 inch from Home Depot. It taps in.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i have a bus needing the same repair.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: