Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Karmann Ghia Roadtrip-Des Moines, IA to Charleston, SC-
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brodie515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: 1971 Karmann Ghia Roadtrip-Des Moines, IA to Charleston, SC- Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I am going to try to embark on a road trip from Des Moines, IA to Charleston, SC toward the middle or end of October. I live in Charleston, I just moved there from Iowa, and my KG is back in Des Moines. I have a completely stock 1971 Karmann Ghia, I have replaced the brakes, the generator, and the voltage regulator. I will be reunited with my car around 10/10/2013. I am extremely excited. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things I should do before I set off on this trip (1262 miles!) I plan on doing a basic tune up and just want to make sure there isn't something I am overlooking. I will be in Des Moines, IA for about a week, so if you live there or close by (really anywhere in Iowa should be okay as I will be visiting Northern Iowa as well as Iowa City at some point during my trip, although I will be spending most of my time in Des Moines) and would be willing to help me look over the car and make sure it is running smoothly that would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if there is anything that I should consider when taking this 1600cc car on its first real long road trip. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

-Brodie
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a list of tools I found from another thread that someone was going on a 1200 mile road trip. I'm not sure if all of this stuff is necessary but at a minimum I would take a basic set of tools. I carry tools with me everyday in my daily driver just in case. You might also consider joining AAA or a similar service and have the AIRS list on you to find a fellow samba member that might be willing to help out if you need it.

Tube high temperature silicone
JB Weld
Tube anti-seize
Tube Loctite
Roll plastic electrical tape
Remnant of a roll of rubber electrical tape
Tube Vasoline
Bottle dry gas
Bottle carb cleaner
Can BP Blaster
1/2 Tape measure
Jumper cables
Brake fluid
Motor oil

1/2 drive sockets 10mm-22mm
1/2 breaker bar and extensions
3/8 socket set regular and deep
3/8 spark plug socket
3/8 ratchet and breaker bar, plus extensions

Metric allen wrench set
17mm tool for tranny fill and drain
Feeler guage and spark plug wire gauge set
12 point adapter for CV joint bolts, long
Hex adapter for CV joint bolts, long

Screwdrivers:
3/8 flat, long
#3 phillips
Replaceable tip #1, #2, 3/16, 5/16
Replaceable tip, jewelers
Radiator hose tool

Small rattail file
Half round file

Cresent wrenches, 4", 6", 12"

10 x 11mm tubing wrench for brake lines
8mm - 22 mm combination wrench set
6mm - 19 mm box end set
3/8 - 5/8 English combination set

VOM meter
Wiring multi-tool with misc asst of wire terminals
Diagonal cutters
Snap ring pliers, two styles
Channel-locks 10"
2# ball peen hammer
Vise Grips, large and small
Battery drill, with bits 1/16 - 1/4"
Ground cloth
Grease gun
Needle adapter

Spare parts:

Alternator belt
Fuel filters
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
Brodie515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you toddb, I will have some of my tools with me, as well as some extra parts. I am also going to spend a few days going over the car and making sure everything is in good working order. I am just trying to plan early, it is better to be safe and over prepared than sorry. I will definitely be using AIRS list if I am in trouble, hopefully I won't have to use it for any help, maybe just to meet some VW people! Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

-Brodie
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare parts I'd add, from experience:
- points and condenser
- throttle cable
- clutch cable and its wingnut.

An oil change before leaving, if possible.
Brodie515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I was thinking a spare set of points. I will be giving her an oil change and check the spark plugs before I leave. Thanks for the advice!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to participate in driving a caravan of VW Things from Minnesota to California two years in a row several years ago.
All the cars that were driven on the road had been carefully gone through before hand, and we had three or more mechanics and literally a trailer full of spare parts (and even a spare vehicle or two).
Surprisingly, the majority of breakdowns we experienced were related to fan belt failures, starter failures, carburetor adjustments or flat tires.
Of course there were a couple other odd problems such as an engine fire, and I did have a side view mirror literally fall off at speed two years in a row on two different vehicles . Very Happy

I guess what I'm saying is that these cars are pretty damn reliable, so relax and be sure to take time to really enjoy the experience!
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a similar trip (Dallas to Denver) in a 57. I shipped a bunch of tools and parts to myself (versus paying for the checked bag on cheap-o air), and the first thing I did was a complete tune up and fluid change (it had been sitting for about two years). It also needed tires, alignment, and brakes adjusted. Even then, the speedo cable broke shortly after I made it back (most likely related to sitting) and the brakes are doing some weird stuff hydraulically (I'm shotgunning the brakes this week). I also downloaded an audio book that was approximately the same duration as the drive and made sure I was loaded up on podcasts for the balance. I made it back with zero drama, but since getting home I've had to address a number of things (some mentioned above) related to the time spent being neglected and things that just needed to be done...

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddb_67 wrote:
I'm not sure if all of this stuff is necessary...

Tube high temperature silicone
JB Weld
Tube anti-seize
Tube Loctite
Roll plastic electrical tape
Remnant of a roll of rubber electrical tape
Tube Vasoline
Bottle dry gas
Bottle carb cleaner
Can BP Blaster
1/2 Tape measure
Jumper cables
Brake fluid
Motor oil
1/2 drive sockets 10mm-22mm
1/2 breaker bar and extensions
3/8 socket set regular and deep
3/8 spark plug socket
3/8 ratchet and breaker bar, plus extensions
Metric allen wrench set
17mm tool for tranny fill and drain
Feeler guage and spark plug wire gauge set
12 point adapter for CV joint bolts, long
Hex adapter for CV joint bolts, long
Screwdrivers:
3/8 flat, long
#3 phillips
Replaceable tip #1, #2, 3/16, 5/16
Replaceable tip, jewelers
Radiator hose tool
Small rattail file
Half round file
Cresent wrenches, 4", 6", 12"
10 x 11mm tubing wrench for brake lines
8mm - 22 mm combination wrench set
6mm - 19 mm box end set
3/8 - 5/8 English combination set
VOM meter
Wiring multi-tool with misc asst of wire terminals
Diagonal cutters
Snap ring pliers, two styles
Channel-locks 10"
2# ball peen hammer
Vise Grips, large and small
Battery drill, with bits 1/16 - 1/4"
Ground cloth
Grease gun
Needle adapter

Spare parts:
Alternator belt
Fuel filters

Wow, that's quite a list! The guy's going on a road trip...not opening a repair shop!

Here are my suggestions:

Carrying a selection of basic tools would be good. At a minimum include the following: 10mm, 13mm, 17mm & 19mm combination wrenches, phillips & flat-blade screwdrivers, a 3/8"-drive metric socket set, feeler gauges for points (.016") and valves (.006"), a medium-size adjustable wrench, pliers (regular & needle-nose), a small hammer, pocket knife or multi-tool and meduim-size vice grips. Also make sure that you have all necessary tire changing tools, a fan belt, a spare fuel filter, a few hose clamps and some extra fuel line. A couple of spare fresh-air hoses aren't a bad idea either (they can get thrashed by a snapped fan belt) and don't forget a qt. of oil, some shop towels, latex gloves and a roll of duct tape.
As for preparation, change the oil, replace points & plugs and do a valve adjustment. Check your spark plug wires for cracks and missing air seals. Check your brake pads & linings and make sure the brake fluid is clean and topped up. Also make sure that all your engine tin is fitted correctly and the engine compartment seal is in good shape.
Once on the road, check your oil at least once a day and your tire pressure weekly.

Have a great trip!
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Brodie515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe and Spectre6000, Thank you for letting me know of your experiences. I was worried that it wouldn't want to make that long of a trip, but your comments have eased some of my worry! Glad to hear that you were both able to make it home safely on the trips you took.

rcooled, I hadn't thought about checking the engine tin, but it definitely makes sense! I have just replaced all of the brake lines and spark plugs, but I am planning on doing an oil change, check points and plugs before I go out. Luckily I will be in DSM and driving around Iowa for about a week before I embark on my trip, hopefully in that time I will notice if anything is worrisome.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my KG in Oakland, and drove it home to Seattle about a week after I bought it (1000 miles). Totally do it...but just be aware, and give yourself some cushion (time-wise) so you're not stuck to any specific schedule.

I too was totally concerned that it wouldn't make the trip, not being sure about it's upkeep and history from the previous owner, but after speaking to the mechanic that he had it serviced at, I felt pretty good about it's reliability. And low and behold, it made it pretty much hassle free!

Remember, these cars were built to drive. Just the age and maintenance can be a factor as things break simply from being old. But if you're prepared (with knowledge, tools, and a little know-how. OR, with a AAA card that can get you towed to someone that does)...then you shouldn't fear the drive.

For me, I took it easy (not knowing the engine history or maintenance too well) I kept the RPM's down, avoided large mountain passes (where possible) and made it more of about the road trip than a sole purpose to get to it home.

I did have an issue on one of my first stops (periodically checking things) when the distributor wire came loose and stalled me in the middle of "little-town USA, but that was an easy fix (for someone who knew what to look for...unfortunately, it took me a little while to find that person. lol, but seems like everywhere there is a VW expert to be found...which is nice). Nonetheless, the rest of the drive was easy and super fun!

For me, the confidence comes in doing the prep work, and trying to assess if there are any issues on the car before hand (strange sounds, feels, smells, etc and having the things listed above)...then just go for it. Smile

Good luck!
Brodie515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassneck, I am allocating about a week to drive it back, so I should have more than enough time. I think you make a good point, I should focus on the road trip aspect and not so much about getting it back home. I will then be able to drive the KG without pushing it too hard. I am going to spend a week driving it before I set off, that should give me some time to assess the car and make the proper repairs or adjustments. I got the first "Bug Me" video, it has some great advice on general maintenance and tune ups that I will do before I leave.
ghia4mea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy and I flew to Detroit (from Florida) to get my Ghia. The plan was to drive it home if possible, or rent a U haul and tow dolly if it broke down.
We carried fire extinguisher, oil, hand tools, jack, fix a flat, X shaped lug wrench, tape, spare belt and GPS.
We took 2 1/4 days to make the trip, taking it easy on us and the car. We had no failures of any kind and got good gas mileage. (37mpg 1600 single port autostick)
Along the trip we passed dozens of broken down modern cars, but neither of us said a word about them.
As we pulled into my street here in Florida, we both turned to each other and said, "Did you see all those modern cars broken down on the road?" We both laughed and added we were afraid to say anything while on the trip to not jinx ourselves.
These are good old cars, made to drive. Check the oil at each stop, listen for odd sounds or vibrations, and don't try and set the pace. Just do what feels comfy for you and the car. I believe we did 60 to 65 the entire trip.
Good Luck!!
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a 65 Bug vert cross-country, from Jersey to Cali in 53 hours......years ago. Lost a starter in Kansas (parked down hill till Cali), the hood flew open and broke the windshield in Colorado (that wasn't cheap), broke the front trans mount from bump startin her and eventually broke the nose cone after arriving in Cali.

That little bug never skipped a beat............60 mph the whole way. There a tuff little car.
Brodie515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghia4mea, I would totally have stayed silent as well, I wouldn't want to jinx the car either! It sounds like your trip was just as long as mine is going to be, so I am hoping that my car fares as well as yours did! I bet it is nice to have your Ghia in FL where you can drive it everyday if you so choose!

mountainkowboy, it sounds like you had quite the adventure. I would be so scared if the hood popped open on me while driving! I guess with a 53 hour trip you plan for some incidents, but probably not that one! I think you are right though, these cars were made to be driven, if I take it easy I am hoping I won't have any big issues!
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodie515 wrote:

mountainkowboy, it sounds like you had quite the adventure. I would be so scared if the hood popped open on me while driving! I guess with a 53 hour trip you plan for some incidents, but probably not that one! I think you are right though, these cars were made to be driven, if I take it easy I am hoping I won't have any big issues!

It was a........surprise to say the least, moral of the trip, some people don't know how to close a VW hood....lol. ALWAYS double check it.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Karmann Ghia Roadtrip-Des Moines, IA to Charleston, Reply with quote

Brodie515 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am going to try to embark on a road trip from Des Moines, IA to Charleston, SC toward the middle or end of October. I live in Charleston, I just moved there from Iowa, and my KG is back in Des Moines. I have a completely stock 1971 Karmann Ghia, I have replaced the brakes, the generator, and the voltage regulator. I will be reunited with my car around 10/10/2013. I am extremely excited. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of things I should do before I set off on this trip (1262 miles!) I plan on doing a basic tune up and just want to make sure there isn't something I am overlooking. I will be in Des Moines, IA for about a week, so if you live there or close by (really anywhere in Iowa should be okay as I will be visiting Northern Iowa as well as Iowa City at some point during my trip, although I will be spending most of my time in Des Moines) and would be willing to help me look over the car and make sure it is running smoothly that would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if there is anything that I should consider when taking this 1600cc car on its first real long road trip. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

-Brodie

I know it's been a year and some change... but how did you make out? Any issues on your road trip?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Visited: September 19, 2014

...probably stuck in Boise.

bnc
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Last Visited: September 19, 2014

...probably stuck in Boise.

bnc

ROFLMAO..........I just spit soda on my laptop!

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, Lord, stuck in ol' Lodi again...." CCR Very Happy
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WooleyNelson wrote:
"Oh, Lord, stuck in ol' Lodi again...." CCR Very Happy

One for the youngsters. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: