Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light switches?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davethehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Brake light switches? Reply with quote

So, as far as I know my brake lights worked just fine earlier today. I bought new tail light assemblies and swapped them out when I got home from work today. I went from a 3 bulb set up to a 4 bulb with an individual light for park and brake. Checked my lights, everything works except my brake lights. Before I get hammered, yes, I disconnected the battery before I started Rolling Eyes and no its not a blown fuse.
I pulled the tail light assemblies off and checked all of my connections again, still no brake lights. I threw the old lights back on and the same thing, no brake lights.
I ran a jumper from the connecter in the front trunk to my spare battery and the lights came on so I know its not in the back end of my vehicle. I checked the fuse box to make sure everything was ok, no loose wires or popped fuses. I then ran a jumper on my brake light switch plug from the red/black to the black and turned on the ignition key, booyah! I got brake lights.
I just want to be sure before I buy new switches that, that is my problem??
Any other suggestions or have I found the culprit?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switches? Reply with quote

davethehead wrote:
I just want to be sure before I buy new switches that, that is my problem?? Any other suggestions or have I found the culprit?

Stomp down REAL HARD on the brake pedal, with the ignition switched on, see if the brake lights go on when doing that. That's how mine were maybe a decade ago, and I replaced both brake light switches and bled, to fix the issue.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
davethehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switches? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
davethehead wrote:
I just want to be sure before I buy new switches that, that is my problem?? Any other suggestions or have I found the culprit?

Stomp down REAL HARD on the brake pedal, with the ignition switched on, see if the brake lights go on when doing that. That's how mine were maybe a decade ago, and I replaced both brake light switches and bled, to fix the issue.

Tried out the STOMP method with no luck. Another note, the plugs did have brake fluid in them when I pulled them off, maybe bad seals jacked em up once fluid made it to the other side?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switches? Reply with quote

davethehead wrote:
Another note, the plugs did have brake fluid in them when I pulled them off, maybe bad seals jacked em up once fluid made it to the other side?

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you mean the rubber boot that goes around the brake cylinder has fluid in it - that would not be good.

davethehead wrote:
Tried out the STOMP method with no luck.

OK, time to bring out that $15 multimeter. Turn ignition on, should get positive voltage to one terminal on each brake switch (one of the two parallel terminals). Now have someone push the pedal down, should now get positive voltage out of one of the remaining terminals as well.

One can also remove the harness to the switches and check continuity between the two parallel terminals when someone presses the brake pedal down, should be continuity, less than 1 ohm or so.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sportbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jack this thread - but I have a Brake Light, Brake Switch question.

'73 SuperBeetle, 3 Prong Dual Brake Switches
Brake system is not bled yet.

However with the ignition on I get constant Brake Lights

6 wires coming out of the Brake Switches..2 Red/Black that go to the Brake Lights,,,2 Black Wires that go to the Fuse Box Terminal #11,,,and 2 Red wires that go to the Brake Warning Light on the dash

Is it normal for this condition because the system is not bled?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: