Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Euro bus rewiring with WBW harness
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: 1965 Euro bus rewiring with WBW harness Reply with quote

Hi !

I'm currently rewiring my Westy with a 1965 only Wolfsburg West harness.

I'm facing a bit of an issue as my turn signal switch has only 3 wires (green/black - white/black - green/white/black) and the harness was made for a 6 wires turn signal switch.

Is there a way to use the 3 wires turn signal switch and the 6 wires turn signal harness ? I'd really prefer not to buy a new 6 wires turn signal switch..

In addition I noticed that with my original harness, the brake light switch on the master cylinder gets power from the fuse box and is linked with a Black/red wire directly to the tail lights as opposed to the WBW harness where the brake light switch is wired through the turn signal switch and then to the tail lights.

I'm using euro tail lights with 2 bulbs for each.

Any help/hints is welcome as I am totally confused now Confused
Thanks,

Phil
aitor11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, I might be wrong but i think the problem is that your harness is for an USA bus, and the one that you had before was for an Euro bus. Look at these diagrams and you will see the differences. The euro one uses two bulbs, the brake light line do not go thru the signal switch and it has three wires as you said, the USA one passes thru the switch, has six wires and only one bulb.

USA:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EURO:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aitor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use your 3-wire switch with the six-wire harness. You connect the little 3-terminal T-shaped connectors to your green/black and white/black wires, like the European diagram shows. Coming out of the green/black side, you will have one green/black and one red/black. The white/black side will have one white/black and one yellow/black. the green/white/black goes to the green/white/black of the harness.
For the brake lights, you can either run a wire directly from the switch on the master cylinder to the brake lights or connect to the red/black wire on the harness near the turn signal switch and run back to the brake lights. Either way, you WILL have to run a new wire to the lights.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Wolfsburg West has started manufacturing their own harnesses I think you are being supplied with a WiringWerks harness.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good there is a fix for this. Hey coolerthanelvis, on a USA wired '65 without Euro taillights, will this work using a 3-wire turn stalk with the factory 6-wire harness.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies !

Shawn, I added a new wire for the brake lights (removed and put back the main harness with the new wire for a clean finish) and will wire it like as on the EURO wiring plan posted by Aitor.

I connected the front and rear turn signals as per your explanations.

As I wanted to have emergency flashers I bought a WBW 4 prongs wiper switch and their 5 prongs emergency flasher relay which features 87/87b/86/85/30 terminals.

The turn signal relay is also from WBW and features the following terminals : 49a/49/C/31.

I've connected the 49A terminal to the "black/green/white" wire from the turn signal switch. 49A terminal is also connected to one of the 4 prongs of the wiper switch.

49 is connected directly to the fuse holder and to 30 of the emergency flasher relay.

"C" is connected to the speedo turn signal bulb (with the blue wire)

I connected 87b of the emergency flasher relay to the "black/green" wire of the turn signal switch.

I connected 87 of the emergency flasher relay to the "black/white" of the turn signal switch.

Terminal 86 of the emergency flasher relay is wired to 1 prong of the wiper switch bought to turn on the emergency flashers.

Finally, I wired each of the two last prongs left on the wiper switch either to the "black/white" and "black/green" wires of the turn signal switches.

Do you think this set-up could work ?
d_jammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're getting your head around it all.

As an aside, I wired my US tail lights/indicators to Euro by using this method:

http://www.busandcamper.com/67-13w-rear-light-rewire-for-euro-lights.html

Has worked well since I did it 12 months ago.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Good there is a fix for this. Hey coolerthanelvis, on a USA wired '65 without Euro taillights, will this work using a 3-wire turn stalk with the factory 6-wire harness.

Hey, Barry. This will not work without a 6-wire switch unless you have Euro taillights. The brake lights have to go through the switch or to dedicated lights.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
Thanks for your replies !

Shawn, I added a new wire for the brake lights (removed and put back the main harness with the new wire for a clean finish) and will wire it like as on the EURO wiring plan posted by Aitor.

I connected the front and rear turn signals as per your explanations.

As I wanted to have emergency flashers I bought a WBW 4 prongs wiper switch and their 5 prongs emergency flasher relay which features 87/87b/86/85/30 terminals.

The turn signal relay is also from WBW and features the following terminals : 49a/49/C/31.

I've connected the 49A terminal to the "black/green/white" wire from the turn signal switch. 49A terminal is also connected to one of the 4 prongs of the wiper switch.

49 is connected directly to the fuse holder and to 30 of the emergency flasher relay.

"C" is connected to the speedo turn signal bulb (with the blue wire)

I connected 87b of the emergency flasher relay to the "black/green" wire of the turn signal switch.

I connected 87 of the emergency flasher relay to the "black/white" of the turn signal switch.

Terminal 86 of the emergency flasher relay is wired to 1 prong of the wiper switch bought to turn on the emergency flashers.

Finally, I wired each of the two last prongs left on the wiper switch either to the "black/white" and "black/green" wires of the turn signal switches.

Do you think this set-up could work ?

The relay with 87 and 87b is there to allow the front indicators to flash with the rear and still keep them separate from left and right when the relay is not active. The switch does the same thing for the rear, connecting them both to the flasher relay at the same time. Since your front and rear lights are connected to each other, then you can use just the switch with no relay.
You said that you have a 6-wire harness so you probably have the black-red and black-yellow wires going to the emergency switch. You will need two more T connectors and connect them downstream of the original two with a short jumper. To modify the earlier instructions, you should have the black-green wire from the turn signal switch going into one side of the first T with the black-green wire going to the front right light coming out. The last connection on the T should be connected to a short wire going into the new T. The other two connections of the new T should both have a black-red wire, one to the right rear indicator light and the other to the emergency switch. Repeat for the other side, substituting black-white and black-yellow, and Bob's your uncle. Also, don't forget to insulate the connector in the middle of the wire going to the front right bulb where it would normally attach to the relay, and insulate any other wires now left dangling.

One other thing. d jammer's link shows how to connect Euro lights by repurposing one of the wires to the rear parking lights for dedicated brake lights and connecting the other parking light wire to both sides. Since you've already run a new wire then you won't need to mess with the parking light wiring. Just remember that the black-red and black-yellow are for the turn indicators and your new wire is for the brake lights.
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

-Silent Bob
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

So I hooked the new wiring to the battery and was really happy to see that everything worked perfectly. I just had to remove the black-red/black yellow that linked the wiper/emergency switch to the turn signal switch as with them, when pulling the emergency switch the turn signals stayed on but did not blink.

Now I'm left with one question:
The emergency switch only works with ignition on. What needs to be changed on the 1965 wiring to have the switch work with ignition off?

I tried a hot wire to prong #30 of the emergency flasher relay but it did not work..
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your black-green-white at the fuse box going to the far right fuse (always hot) or to the second one from the right (switched)?
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

-Silent Bob
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, took some time...

Black/white/green wire was on the 2nd Fuse from the right. Plugged it on the far right and now emergency flashers work also with ignition off. Thanks ! Very Happy

Now I'm left with one question. Do the relays pull energy from the battery at all time when hooked up to a permanent hot fuse terminal ? And if yes, how much ?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
Do the relays pull energy from the battery at all time when hooked up to a permanent hot fuse terminal ?

No. Mechanical relays don't draw any juice until the little wire windings are activated by whatever connects them like your emergency pull knob. Once energized they make all the contacts they were intended to relay whether it be higher current or various tasks.

It's like your starter solenoid: all it is is a relay that does something else. It's hooked up to the battery and sits dormant until you turn the key to start.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this information !

Today I wired again the square side lamp to the VR, added a new fuse holder ! This little thing looks simply so nice when switched on Smile .

I still have to complete the wiring of the power socket in the furniture and the 6v ambulance fan. The latter will be wired in such way that in either of the 2 positions of the switch they don't get burnt.
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a european bus and since a while I have neither the brake light or the turn signal light. Any idea behind this mystery?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The European versions should have separate tail and signal lights.
Have you traced the wires before to see if they are actually live?

Also, for a 66-67, you can use the WBW or wiring works harness and still get the twin rear lights to work.

Same fix, also if anyone is curious, the LHD wire harness that wiring works used to sell will work with RHD, the wires are sufficiently long. I cannot comment on WBW ones.
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
The European versions should have separate tail and signal lights.
Have you traced the wires before to see if they are actually live?

Also, for a 66-67, you can use the WBW or wiring works harness and still get the twin rear lights to work.

Same fix, also if anyone is curious, the LHD wire harness that wiring works used to sell will work with RHD, the wires are sufficiently long. I cannot comment on WBW ones.

I actually don't have the bus with me now ( unfortunatelly)
I purchased the harness from the Bus boys Inc asking for european specs. I don't know the brand.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you wired the thing from scratch. Maybe you need to check your connections. Follow the diagram posted.
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Euro bus rewiring with WBW harness Reply with quote

I resurrect this thread because I'm having some problems with my wiring harness. I'm restoring a January 64 canadian kombi and I would like to convert the US spec harness in to EU spec version.
I have totally modified the wires from the cab to the rear changing used and damaged cables and increasing the number of them. 90% of the wiring is done but my problem is that I would like to use again the emergency flasher with idiot light on dashboard on european version. On US spec the emergency flasher is on brake lights but I need to connect its to signal lights no changing the original harness under the dashboard or the 6-wire harness turn signal.
I have read the explanation of coolerthanelvis but I don't understand where I have to connect the brake wire and if I have to modify the turn signal switch.
Anyone could help me, please?
Regards
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: