Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Started today building my Heb steel replica. I have seen several pictures and actually made templates from an original Heb from a friend that was very generous to let me do so. It was raining outside, so I thought it would be fun to start. Roughly 3 hours into it, I have a rough idea of the cowl which needs some refining, but you can see the results. The cowl still needs to be fitted to the sedan donor, and fitted to the decklid. Thanks to my son for his help and interest and our good friend Mr Beard for the use of his shop!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Started by sanding a piece of sheet metal. Then proceeded to put a 90 degree bend up front where the convertible top material will be.

Bending the lip where the engine decklid meets the cowl.

Bad warp from the extreme bending. Will be relieved with some metal shrinking.

Here is the panel after some mild shrinking was applied. Flat like it should be. This is only a rough representation of the panel which has yet to be fine tuned to the car and decklid.

Driver side corner that attaches to the quarter panel at the pinch just above the side trim. Roughly 3 hours labor to get it to this point, and the passenger side corner that attaches to the quarter panel has yet to be made.

One last pic of the cowl in its infancy. So much fun working with my son and great VW friend Eddie in his shop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeoffP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I'll be following this build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking work. Glad to see kids in the shop but do him and yourself a favor. Get him some safety glasses and a dust mask.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link might be helpful- http://www.oldbug.com/heb.htm It shows the build of the Rosentiel Roadster built in Az by Dave Rosentiel. Some very cool techniques are shared
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't pass on this little beauty. Close enough to the body panels on the 49-50 Heb replica I plan on building. I found the car in June of 2012 but couldn't even afford the slim asking price of $250. I had to leave for work out of state and to my surprise, the car was still available 6 months later. My wife surprised me and our son with it just after Christmas 2012.

VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
This link might be helpful- http://www.oldbug.com/heb.htm It shows the build of the Rosentiel Roadster built in Az by Dave Rosentiel. Some very cool techniques are shared

YES! This was a great inspiration for me. I love the way they described the donor car as only being fit for ditch fill. Great story!
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Nice looking work. Glad to see kids in the shop but do him and yourself a favor. Get him some safety glasses and a dust mask.
Note taken!
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the right side and center hump for the trim

I believe the center hump for the trim was separate until somewhere in the mid 300 body numbers. After that, the hump was pressed into the cowl. This cowl was patterned after an early 300 number Heb.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ! Will be following this one. One question though, if this is " all steel " why does the Hebmuller decklid look like its fiberglass?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Nice ! Will be following this one. One question though, if this is " all steel " why does the Hebmuller decklid look like its fiberglass?

True, it is fiberglass, but I bought it as a reference tool to aid in building an all hand made steel version. I plan on either making a steel wire or plywood buck and piecing the decklid together that way. I might even try to piece together different front hood parts if they work. Thanks for the observation!
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please post more pics Very Happy
i wanted to build a heb replica too, but just bought the split dash and almost completed it with the parts needed. next will be hopefully an oval vert windshield frame. finding a solid shell like yours will be the hardest part.

are you going to build it split accurate with split dash and early parts or just a heb look alike replica?
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
please post more pics Very Happy
i wanted to build a heb replica too, but just bought the split dash and almost completed it with the parts needed. next will be hopefully an oval vert windshield frame. finding a solid shell like yours will be the hardest part.

are you going to build it split accurate with split dash and early parts or just a heb look alike replica?

I bought a split front end that was found in a river. The bottom was very rusty, but the roof had a large hole in it...........It was an original 11G 3 fold!! Unfortunately it was chopped up and all that was left was the dash and rusty floorpan. I found it back in 1993. This is how long this project has been in gathering parts....Don't give up! I have the dash and ribbed doors, etc to make it look like an early car. I hope to work on it some more today.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce work, I know one who started on a heb copy in 1987....and it still is not finished. Pfff.... Rolling Eyes Now I go back to work in the shop...Hope one day I can drive it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: hebzwitter Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=RGD&show_results=summary
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
NIce work, I know one who started on a heb copy in 1987....and it still is not finished. Pfff.... Rolling Eyes Now I go back to work in the shop...Hope one day I can drive it. Laughing
Thanks for all the helpful advice. It is good to become friends with so many VW people around the world!
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: hebzwitter Reply with quote

RGD wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=RGD&show_results=summary
AH yes! Hebzwitter is burned into my Samba gallery search! Beautiful work and I love the color you chose.....
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned it - may I ask the name/color code of that hebzwitter?
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the rear seat rails/braces (left), inner quarter braces (top), and driver side cowl bracing (right) for my Heb project tonight. The inner quarter braces came from a Heb from the early 300's in number and had no holes in them. They were later changed and holes were punched in them for strengthening. The seat rails still need some more fabricating, but I want to wait and fit them to the car luggage profile.

This is the profile for where it meets the inner wheelwell and inner quarter bracing. Thankfully had an early 300's number Heb to measure and take patterns off of or this would have been a horrible piece to try to freehand.

This shows the forward angle of the firewall top to accomodate the Heb only air cleaner that fits in front of the fan shroud for decklid clearance.

This is test fitted to my buddy's 50 standard. I have yet to shape the rear bottom where it meets the curve in the bottom of the firewall.

Last edited by VEE DUB BOYS on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
Peter, it is surprising to me that with the right tools how simple some of this building can be. I am nervous of the decklid, but I have one that is fiberglass to use for reference, so it may not be so bad.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Yet another piece of the puzzle..drip tray for the rear cowl Reply with quote

Slow progress, but it is coming down to just a few more panels roughed in before I can start to get excited

The left side (curved part) of this picture goes toward the passenger area of the car. The right side welds to the firewall in front of the engine. There are two drain tubes that will be ran down through the luggage area and out under the car for water drainage as with the original design by Hebmüller.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: