Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1957 VW with 13,000 Miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the original post, I was cerrtain I had seen an article on it in HotVWs. Sure enough July 2002 issue. I hope Bruce Berman doesn't mind, I taken the liberty to post it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Seeing the original post, I was cerrtain I had seen an article on it in HotVWs. Sure enough July 2002 issue. I hope Bruce Berman doesn't mind, I taken the liberty to post it.

Thanks for posting Darren! I am still blown away by this Time Capsule... Very Happy
Jamestown, New York 14701
Stateside Imported Cars/Motors Items Wanted

Sunland Motors
2030 Fremont St Las Vegas, Nevada
Sunland Motors Items Wanted
Foxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour are the bumper hangers and supports? I presumed they would be black but they look grey. Same colour as the fuel tank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, Bruce! I certainly remember it from "back in the day." Glad to hear/see you still own this gem!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quirky me, the one thing I would like to see a close up of this beauty is the dealer sticker under the rear license plate above the T handle.
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the nice comments about my car, guys!

I will try to shoot some more photos in the coming days, and get them up here. I can only hope that my photography skills are up to the task...........

Best Regards,

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.

Last edited by Bruce Berman on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxy wrote:
What colour are the bumper hangers and supports? I presumed they would be black but they look grey. Same colour as the fuel tank?

Foxy, you are correct, and a very good catch. I guess some of you are studying these photos under a magnifying glass!

If you read the article about my car from "Hot VWs" magazine that was posted here recently by *Darren, the bumper brackets on the car were originally (and correctly) black, and you will also note that I stupidly repainted them the steel gray color shortly after acquiring her. In 1978, the knowledge of this kind of detail about these cars was simply not available as it is today, with the advent of the Internet, etc.

Later, I repainted the brackets the correct VW semi-gloss black color that the factory orignally painted them, to maintain the proper originality. If you look at the photos I had posted the other day of the car, you will see the brackets are now the correct color.

Regards,

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
carocha56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce, can you tell me if the wheel rim is the same color as the body L324? ... I have read that the wheel rim should be L328 steel gray ... and the headliner, some people say it is light beige, others say it is light green ... can you tell me what color is your please?

Thanks

Vitor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carocha56 wrote:
Hi Bruce, can you tell me if the wheel rim is the same color as the body L324? ... I have read that the wheel rim should be L328 steel gray ... and the headliner, some people say it is light beige, others say it is light green ... can you tell me what color is your please?

Thanks

Vitor

Hi Vitor,

The wheel rims are definately not the same color (polar silver) as the body. They are indeed the "steel gray" color you had described, and as you can see in the images.

The color of the headlining in my car is light gray color. I have seen references to where VW states the headlining material is beige or light green, but the color in my car with the light beige leatherette interior is definately a light gray color. 1957 cars with the red, green, or blue leatherette interior may have a different color headlining, as well as the color of the steering wheel, steering wheel column, seat frames, handbrake lever and gear shift lever, when compared to those vehicles with the light beige leatherette interior. My experience, at least, is those 1957 type 1 cars with the red leatherette interior have these components painted more of a white color, than the beige finish in my car with it's light beige leatherette interior.

I hope that this helps!

Best Regards,

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Berman on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
carocha56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, of course it helps.
My car has red leatherette interior, the carpets are gray as your car, I believe the headliner also can be light gray like yours...not everything that is written corresponds to the truth...
When possible places more detailed photos.

Best regards.

Vitor
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carocha56 wrote:
Thanks Bruce, of course it helps.
My car has red leatherette interior, the carpets are gray as your car, I believe the headliner also can be light gray like yours...not everything that is written corresponds to the truth...
When possible places more detailed photos.

Best regards.

Vitor

Hi Vitor,

You are very welcome!

Here is a recent photo of the rear of my car. I'm sorry about the poor quality of the photography (reflections from the sun, etc.).

Foxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Berman wrote:
Foxy wrote:

Foxy, you are correct, and a very good catch. I guess some of you are studying these photos under a magnifying glass!

If you read the article about my car from "Hot VWs" magazine that was posted here recently by *Darren, the bumper brackets on the car were originally (and correctly) black, and you will also note that I stupidly repainted them the steel gray color shortly after acquiring her. In 1978, the knowledge of this kind of detail about these cars was simply not available as it is today, with the advent of the Internet, etc.

Later, I repainted the brackets the correct VW semi-gloss black color that the factory orignally painted them, to maintain the proper originality. If you look at the photos I had posted the other day of the car, you will see the brackets are now the correct color.

Regards,

Bruce

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I was thinking that surely they should be black, so thanks for clearing that up.
Beautiful car. Hope mine turns out as nice.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just

awesomely

gorgeous

Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
carocha56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos please Very Happy
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What and awesome piece of history!
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!

So glad to see other survivor cars that are 100% original and kept that way. Smile

I'm running at 28,600 something now miles, just wish my L331 paint looked as good as yours on the outside of mine. Wink

Beautiful car, wish you were near me so I could take some professional Leica photos for you, your car is crazy photogenic! Smile

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Amazing!

So glad to see other survivor cars that are 100% original and kept that way. Smile

I'm running at 28,600 something now miles, just wish my L331 paint looked as good as yours on the outside of mine. Wink

Beautiful car, wish you were near me so I could take some professional Leica photos for you, your car is crazy photogenic! Smile

Tom

Thanks very much for the nice words, Tom. Your car is a beauty as well! All-original VWs of our vintage are now, of course, very scarce. And I very much admire the fact that you still drive Blauchen. My car has become a real garage queen in her old age.

And I do wish we were located closer to each other, as I would definately take you up on your offer to professionally photograph the car. I can take decent photos, but not of the quality that you shoot, and virtually all of the photos I have taken of her over the years are on film.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Berman wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
Amazing!

Tom

Thanks very much for the nice words, Tom. Your car is a beauty as well! All-original VWs of our vintage are now, of course, very scarce. And I very much admire the fact that you still drive Blauchen. My car has become a real garage queen in her old age.

And I do wish we were located closer to each other, as I would definately take you up on your offer to professionally photograph the car. I can take decent photos, but not of the quality that you shoot, and virtually all of the photos I have taken of her over the years are on film.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, your car is a museum piece, just amazing! I'm really bowled over by it..........I can just STARE at the motor, someday mine will be nearly that clean again!!!!! Very Happy

Polar Silver Metallic is such a RARE color SURVIVING as original, I bet at least 96% of all 1953 to 57 Metallic painted cars have been re-painted worldwide so to have an original paint car is really a small wonder! Smile
(all VW historians know about the failing paint issue with metallic's and that sadly VW lost tens of thousands of dollars worldwide on re-painting metallic cars in the late 1950's and early 60's)

I think if my car was in even better condition I wouldn't drive it either, my car sat outdoors in North Carolina for about 5 years in the 1970's and that's when the paint faded).

Now I don't really average over 500 miles a year with the car, I don't do any long drives, just 10 miles here and sometimes 20 miles there, but I really HAVE to get out and use the car, it's Therapy to keep me sane..... Smile

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Bruce Berman wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
Amazing!

Tom

Best Regards,

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, your car is a museum piece, just amazing! I'm really bowled over by it..........I can just STARE at the motor, someday mine will be nearly that clean again!!!!! Very Happy

Polar Silver Metallic is such a RARE color SURVIVING as original, I bet at least 96% of all 1953 to 57 Metallic painted cars have been re-painted worldwide so to have an original paint car is really a small wonder! Smile
(all VW historians know about the failing paint issue with metallic's and that sadly VW lost tens of thousands of dollars worldwide on re-painting metallic cars in the late 1950's and early 60's)

I think if my car was in even better condition I wouldn't drive it either, my car sat outdoors in North Carolina for about 5 years in the 1970's and that's when the paint faded).

Now I don't really average over 500 miles a year with the car, I don't do any long drives, just 10 miles here and sometimes 20 miles there, but I really HAVE to get out and use the car, it's Therapy to keep me sane..... Smile

Tom

Tom, yes, the failure rate of VW metallic paints in the 1950s was real problem for the factory, and for Glasurit too, no doubt. And I'll bet that the cost to VW (and to Glasurit for their share of the issue) was a heck of a lot more than the tens of thousands of dollars (or deutschmarks) you had mentioned.

My Dad had a 1957 Polar Silver VW that he purchased brand-new. A few years later when he was waxing the car, he noticed that the paint was literally flaking off. He brought the car back to the dealer from where it was purchased, (Charles Street Garage in Boston) and they gave him some real attitude about this issue, since the car was now out of the 6 month warranty period. Eventually, it was agreed that the dealer, the VW distributor (Hansen-Macphee Engineering), and my Dad would split the cost of the repaint three ways, and that was it.

I'd like to know what the issue was with the VW metallic paint quality back then. By the same token, even 1950s-1960s American cars painted in metallic finishes never had the durability of non-metallic finishes of the same period. All automotive paints of that period had to be waxed and maintained regularly, or else the finish would oxidize and deteriorate rapidly.

Fortunately, my car has spent it's entire life garaged, so the ravages of exposure to sunlight, acid rain, etc., never took their toll on the Polar Silver finish.

Bruce
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is CRAZY!! Wow! Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: